Yes always, except when I'm on the internet
21%
Yarrr, yeah before Oi wuz ship-napped
29%
No-ho-ho ye scruffy bag-o-weevils
51%

Total votes : 63

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:40 pm

It isn't. At least, not the way I use it...
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby anthrobabe on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:46 pm

We could all benefit from a healthy dose of critically rethinking how we use language--it's meaning

when I tell ppl I'm a spiritual humanist the sometimes say "that's devil stuff" so I have to remind them that I don't believe in him either
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Agreed. It is amazing how many of our phrases come from ideas or concepts that can be very offensive.

For example, "Keep your cotton-pickin' hands off me!" is a phrase that I will never use.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby anthrobabe on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:10 pm

exactly
stop to realize what they/we are saying

cotton picking slave (aka N', black, dirty, lower life form) hands
off of my (holier, mightier, cleaner, whiter) self

and we all talk about someones 'character' -- from what I understand this comes from the days when we branded people-- aka "A" in Scarlett Letter and such-- their character, literally without getting where it comes from-- a form of stigmitisation
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:13 am

I had never heard that before. Here's what the Online Etymology Dictionary has to say about it.

http://www.etymonline.com wrote:character
c.1315, from O.Fr. caractere, from L. character, from Gk. kharakter "engraved mark," from kharassein "to engrave," from kharax "pointed stake." Meaning extended by metaphor to "a defining quality."
"You remember Eponina, who kept her husband alive in an underground cavern so devotedly and heroically? The force of character she showed in keeping up his spirits would have been used to hide a lover from her husband if they had been living quietly in Rome. Strong characters need strong nourishment." [Stendhal, "De l'Amour" 1822]
Sense of "person in a play or novel" is first attested 1664, in reference to the "defining qualities" he or she is given by the author. The Latin ch- spelling was restored 1500s. Characteristic is from 1664.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby tanguerra on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 am

What do the etymology dictionary have to say about lily-livered, scurvy-tongued, barnacle-covered blackguards?
Aaarrrrgggh!

Reed me booke. It's got pirates innit http:\\how-to-find-love.com
tanguerra
Humble Hermit

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 am

liver
"secreting organ of the body," O.E. lifer, from P.Gmc. *librn (cf. O.N. lifr, O.Fris. livere, M.Du. levere, O.H.G. lebara, Ger. Leber "liver"), perhaps lit. "fatten up." In M.E. it rivaled the heart as the supposed seat of love and passion, hence lily-livered (see lily).

lily
O.E. lilie, from L. lilia, pl. of lilium "a lily," cognate with Gk. leirion, both perhaps borrowed from a corrupted pronunciation of an Egyptian word. Used in O.T. to translate Heb. shoshanna and in N.T. to translate Gk. krinon. The color sense of "pale, bloodless" led to lily-livered "cowardly" (1605, in "Macbeth;" see liver; the healthy liver is typically dark reddish-brown). The lily of the valley translates L. lilium convallium (Vulgate), a literal rendition of the Heb. term in Song of Solomon ii.1. It apparently was applied to a particular plant (Convallaria majalis) first by 16c. Ger. herbalists.

lily livered=cowardly

scurvy
c.1565, noun use of adj. scurvy (c.1425), variant of scurfy (see scurf). It took on the meaning of Du. scheurbuik, Fr. scorbut "scurvy," the disease characterized by swollen and bleeding gums, prostration, etc., perhaps from O.N. skyrbjugr, perhaps lit. "a swelling (bjugr) from drinking sour milk (skyr) on long sea voyages;" but O.E.D. has alternate etymology of M.Du. or M.L.G. origin, as "disease that lacerates the belly," from schoren "to lacerate" + M.L.G. buk, Du. buik "belly."

scurvy-tongued=one who speaks in ways that make you want to barf

barnacle-covered=barnacle covered (or slow moving [giving the barnacles time to attach])

blackguard
1532, of uncertain application. Perhaps once an actual military or guard unit; more likely orig. a mock-military ref. to scullions and kitchen-knaves of noble households, of black-liveried personal guards, and of shoeblacks. By 1736, sense had emerged of "one of the criminal class."

blackguards=criminals

cowardly, bile speaking criminals.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby tanguerra on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 am

Yaaaar! That would be my definition too. Who needs ter be able ter read?
Aaarrrrgggh!

Reed me booke. It's got pirates innit http:\\how-to-find-love.com
tanguerra
Humble Hermit

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 am

Ummm...people posting for pirates?

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

ard work

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:12 pm

BBAARRRGH...You blaggards be postin so fast I'm actually havin to read back a few pages ta catch th drift...it be gettin ard work!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Posting for Hard Working Pirates!

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:33 pm

PfPPyPP!!

(Postin fer Pestiferously Pillagin' yet Perky Pyrates) :fsm_yarr:
KAULANA NA PUA A'O FSM..HANO HANO..FSM NO KA OI..
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:37 pm

Posting for Acronyming Pirates!

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby DaveL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 pm

YArrr...

Posting for Pirates who may or may not drink tea, or say 'pip pip tally ho'.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Posting for Pyrates wot say 'strewth and crikey..and those wot don't..
KAULANA NA PUA A'O FSM..HANO HANO..FSM NO KA OI..
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion