Dolphin trains humans!

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Dolphin trains humans!

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:10 am

I put this in Pirate Discussion just to throw you scallywags a bone in your efforts of conquest (even though your efforts are in vain).

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/?p=163

At the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi, Kelly the dolphin has quite a reputation. All the institute’s dolphins are trained to hold onto any litter that falls into their pools until they see a trainer, when they can trade the litter for fish. Kelly took this task one step further. When people drop paper into the water she hides it under a rock at the bottom of the pool.

The next time a trainer passes, she tears off a piece of paper to give to the trainer. After a fish-reward, she goes back down, tears off another piece of paper, gets another fish, and so on. This behaviour is particularly interesting because it suggests that Kelly has a sense of the future and delays gratification. She has, in effect, trained the humans.


This may all be benign but lets not forget the onions warning about dolphins growing opposable thumbs

I for one, will be the first to welcome our new dolphin overlords!

Click click clickety click clickety click click :wink:
User avatar
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Ask yer Mom.

Re: Dolphin trains humans!

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 am

PirateGuy wrote:This may all be benign but lets not forget the onions warning about dolphins growing opposable thumbs

I for one, will be the first to welcome our new dolphin overlords!

:


AARRRRRRRR, it be when they start wearin peg legs an eye patches I'll be worried!

Until then they be goin in the stew like all the rest.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: Dolphin trains humans!

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:08 pm

black bart wrote:AARRRRRRRR, it be when they start wearin peg legs an eye patches I'll be worried!

Until then they be goin in the stew like all the rest.


I can see that this transition is going to be more difficult for some than others.

Careful there Bart, keep it up and I'll report you to the Burea of Dolphin Overlords, and you'll be the one who ends up in the stew. However, they'll call it soylent blue.
User avatar
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Ask yer Mom.

Postby agent_SNAFU on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Aye. It not be the thumbs that make the overlords. It be the...

Grog. Aye.
Occam wrote:Our captains are like priests. Whereas a priest shephards their flock, a captain yells "Set sail for yonder!" and hits you until the ship starts going the right way. Same thing near enough.


I'll get an avatar eventually...
agent_SNAFU
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Over There

Re: Dolphin trains humans!

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:05 am

PirateGuy wrote:
black bart wrote:AARRRRRRRR, it be when they start wearin peg legs an eye patches I'll be worried!

Until then they be goin in the stew like all the rest.


I can see that this transition is going to be more difficult for some than others.

Careful there Bart, keep it up and I'll report you to the Burea of Dolphin Overlords, and you'll be the one who ends up in the stew. However, they'll call it soylent blue.


Now, now me hearty...I've seen it all before in me long years as a Salty Sea Dog. Ye as been a drinkin the salty sea water aint ye an it's gone an rotted yer poor brain. Ye be imaginin all sorts o things arter that, Dolphin Overlawds, Mermaids with huge Knockers, Giant barrels o grog, Ghostly ships with a flaming Cap'n Cronan chasin ye...it be a terrible way ta go!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:14 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
User avatar
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Ask yer Mom.


Return to Pirate Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron