The stereotypical transition of pirates and ninjas

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

The stereotypical transition of pirates and ninjas

Postby EarthRise on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Has anyone else noticed this?

Okay, prior to the influence of such sources as RealUltimatePower and the FSM, ninjas and pirates had very different images. The pirate was dirty, evil, crass, blood-covered, and loved slaughtering innocents. The ninja was controlled, silent, just, and protected innocents.

Is it just me, or has this shifted? Now pirates are swashbuckling, fun, and boisterous, prone to drinking games and socialization. Now ninjas are known to "flip out" and kill everything in a ten mile radius with a pulse.

Unusual, how the roles themselves have reversed independently?
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:27 am

Speaking as a Ninja, I would have to disagree with both stereotypes. I would tell you what Ninjas are really like, but then I'd have to kill you. Sorry.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby EarthRise on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:26 am

Naturally, I'm just misleading people on purpose, as to throw them off of the true scent of a ninja, you see. Because anyone who actually understands my ninjitsu will end up with a shiruken between their eyes.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm

I consider realultimatepower void. I've done a little investigation myself, and it turns out that they are not Ninjas or Pirates, but instead dorks. If only that had been ignored...

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:21 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Return to Pirate Discussion