Christmas

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Duke on Fri May 18, 2007 11:01 pm

KC Observer wrote:C'mon Dukes, Get witht he program!!! You've NEVER heard of the Peppermint pig? Sheesh!!! :roll: :D He's SO popoular! :D

Wow, you're right, I really am out of the loop. Even my buddy Joe says that it's the biggest thing of the century, and he never leaves the basement. :roll:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby farfalla on Sat May 19, 2007 1:51 am

Duke - Worried about your friend, Joe, that he actually knows about this attempt to manufacture a tradition. The pig was made by some candy store in a (even then) touristy town of Saratoga, New York in the late 1800's. People went there to "take" the waters - (disgusting stuff that is laxative). Now they go more for the famous horse race track and expensive everything. The pig faded but recently has been brought back and marketed aggressively, if Joe is any indication. It has become something to give someone when you don't have any idea what to give. Smashing piggy sweets with a tiny hammer. :roll:
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Duke on Sat May 19, 2007 2:41 am

farfalla wrote:Duke - Worried about your friend, Joe, that he actually knows about this attempt to manufacture a tradition. The pig was made by some candy store in a (even then) touristy town of Saratoga, New York in the late 1800's. People went there to "take" the waters - (disgusting stuff that is laxative). Now they go more for the famous horse race track and expensive everything. The pig faded but recently has been brought back and marketed aggressively, if Joe is any indication. It has become something to give someone when you don't have any idea what to give. Smashing piggy sweets with a tiny hammer. :roll:

Joe's a metaphorical friend, made up for the sake of argument, but hey. :D

I'm not at all surprised. I didn't quite think that those companies in those damn catalogues were smart enough to make up their very own "tradition", but I figure they've got just enough brains to pick up some defunct old thing and re-market it as some wonderful little custom. I've never heard of it, nor has anyone I know, but then again, I don't get any catalogues.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby farfalla on Sat May 19, 2007 3:28 am

I envy you your metaphorical friend - and your lack of catalogues.
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Duke on Sat May 19, 2007 4:02 am

It's as simple as this: no mailbox, no catalogues. :D

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Zankou on Sat May 19, 2007 9:28 am

I don't know, this sounds like fun.

We could make little peppermint Fundementalists....
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Duke on Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm

You know, I like the sound of that. :D

:wink:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat May 19, 2007 2:36 pm

That peppermint pig has got nothing on the Catalan (Catalonia) "Shit Log" known as Tio de Nadal

Wikipedia wrote:Beginning with the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8), one gives the tió a little bit to "eat" every night and usually covers him with a little blanket so that he will not be cold at night.

On Christmas day or, depending on the particular household, on Christmas eve, one puts the tió partly into the fireplace and orders it to "shit" (the fire part of this tradition is no longer as widespread as it once was, since many modern homes do not have a fireplace). To make him "shit", one beats him with sticks, while singing various songs of Tió de Nadal.

The tió does not drop larger objects, as those are brought by the Three Wise Men. It does leave candies, nuts and torrons. Depending on the part of Catalonia, it may also give out dried figs. When nothing is left to "shit", it drops a salt herring, a head of garlic, an onion or "urinates". What comes out of the tió is a communal rather than individual gift, shared by everyone present.

Nothing says christmas like salt herring from the shit log! Mmmm Mmmm good!

On a side note, it seems like those Catalans have some kind of scaatalogical complex. They are obsessed with poop. They put these things called Caganers in their nativity scenes. Caganer means "Defecator", and it consists of a little figurine taking a dump.

Odd.........
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:18 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Previous

Return to Pirate Discussion