The Origin of Pirate vs Ninja

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

The Origin of Pirate vs Ninja

Postby Uncle Simon on Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:46 pm

A year or so back, I saw a t-shirt that said "Ninjas don't like Pirates" or something like that on it, and since then, it's all been about Pirates vs Ninjas. Where did the whole Pirate vs Ninja thing start?
Uncle Simon
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Kris1991 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:03 pm

I haven't had time to look at this myself but it's a wiki article about PiratevNinja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjas_versus_Pirates
-€h®i$ the Ninja/Pirate/Hippie

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help the bunny gain world domination. C&P him into your signature.
Kris1991
Ziti Zealot

Postby Y'aaaaaaarrdvark on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Hang on until I fetch my eyepatch.

It was back in the good days for Pirates, when the Hari Krishnas (descended from Ninjas) declared a holy war against the Pirates. They boarded armour plated kayaks, and set out in search.The Hari Krishnas arrived at the Pirate ships at Halloween, and the Pirates being drunk, mistook them for overly dedicated trick-or-treaters. Whilst the Pirates tried to distribute sweets to their assailants, the Hari Krishnas (being the b******* they are) sliced them to death with their double-bladed paddles.
When wearing an eyepatch, always remember may be closer or farther away than they appear.
Y'aaaaaaarrdvark
Ziti Zealot

Postby Ninjaccolt on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:06 pm

All hail the evil power of our dark ninja lords. Ramen.
:worship: :fsm_ninja:
Hail the demonic ninja dieties!
Ninjaccolt
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ribbit on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:11 am

As I've said elsewhere, there are a couple things just below the surface here. The stereotypical ninja is disciplined, deadly, stoic. He is also a disposable cog who lives purely to carry out orders and die on command. Pirates have always been seen as symbols of freedom and the abandonment of social convention. Compared to the lumenproletariat they sprang from, and proles don't get much more lumpen than the disposessed or press-ganged of Europe in that era, they were free, lived in a democracy, ate better and got equal shares of all prizes taken. They could quit when they wanted to. Their captain only served as long as the men wanted him to.

In short, the two ethea are completely opposed to each other. I think the attraction of the pirates is that they represent a freedom many realize, on some subconscious level, is disappearing.
ribbit
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby iEmcee on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:27 am

My school did this huge pirate vs ninja workshop thing and they had us make movies to (for example)convince the pirate enthusiasts that ninjas are better. we also had discussions and debates (emotions went high for some people)but never will we know which one is better: Pirates or Ninjas.

-iEmcee
iEmcee
Ziti Zealot

Postby ribbit on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:32 pm

If you're here you know which one is more blessed by His Noodliness :fsm_yarr:
ribbit
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Duke on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

ribbit wrote:As I've said elsewhere, there are a couple things just below the surface here. The stereotypical ninja is disciplined, deadly, stoic. He is also a disposable cog who lives purely to carry out orders and die on command. Pirates have always been seen as symbols of freedom and the abandonment of social convention. Compared to the lumenproletariat they sprang from, and proles don't get much more lumpen than the disposessed or press-ganged of Europe in that era, they were free, lived in a democracy, ate better and got equal shares of all prizes taken. They could quit when they wanted to. Their captain only served as long as the men wanted him to.

In short, the two ethea are completely opposed to each other. I think the attraction of the pirates is that they represent a freedom many realize, on some subconscious level, is disappearing.

I think you're missing the other side of the Ninja. More often then not, Ninjas are free agents, roaming the land assassinating things, stealing enchanted weapons and baking raspberry pies. Another thing you might not know is that Ninjas have a highly acute sense of humor and fun, with activities such as rhino driving and other pastimes that are startlingly similar to pillaging. See, if you can view the whole picture, Ninjas and Pirates are alike in many ways, thus allowing the existence of Ninja-Pirates such as myself.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby deadgenome on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:11 am

ribbit wrote:Pirates have always been seen as symbols of freedom and the abandonment of social convention. Compared to the lumenproletariat they sprang from, and proles don't get much more lumpen than the disposessed or press-ganged of Europe in that era, they were free, lived in a democracy, ate better and got equal shares of all prizes taken. They could quit when they wanted to. Their captain only served as long as the men wanted him to.
Maybe in the Articles of Captain Mission, but other than that and a handful of other examples you are being more than a little romantic in your view. Sir Francis Drake, for instance, was not only a pirate, but one of the most successful slave traders in history (never mind the war hero bollox).
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Duke on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:30 am

Dead Genome's right. You can't take a group as vast as the Ninjas and Pirates and go about making all-encompassing statements about them. There is bound to be variety, perhaps much more than you can imagine.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

What about pirate-ninjas

Postby d4rkljcv73 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:01 pm

They kill both pirates and ninjas and hold loyalties to either sides.
:fsm_ninja: :fsm_yarr:
d4rkljcv73
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

What can I say? I'm an equal-opportunity disemboweler.:D

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby EarthRise on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:15 pm

A cannon loaded with shiruken. Oh the possibilities...
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby deadgenome on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 pm

or a blacked cutlass and and a velvet tip on me wooden leg fer those daring night-time raids.
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:24 pm

A completly black pirate ship with scilenced cannons.... The other ships would just be floating along when suddenly, their ship has thirty five holes in it and Ninja-Pirates are swinging quietly on board...

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Next

Return to Pirate Discussion