What frightens Pirates?

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Recoil

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:10 am

Bits o old rope bein used as a recoil mechanism:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Recoil

Postby The Black Spot on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:16 am

black bart wrote:Bits o old rope bein used as a recoil mechanism:

Don't ye go dissin' recoil rope.

I finds that if throws a recoil rope over a pulley, an put a noose at the end, an then fires the cannon, ye has an excellent way o' stretchin' some blaggard's neck. Tis where the expression "going out with a bang" comes from.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Bang

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:19 am

Arrrrr...I thought that hexpression had somat to do wiv Knuckles O'Shuffle.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby The Black Spot on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 am

No, no, no. Ye be mixin' it up with "Going Out With a W-" Oh never mind.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Grog

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:45 am

Talkin of Expressions I just found this:

grog - derogatory term for beer or other alcoholic drink - after Admiral Edward Vernon, who because he wore a grogram cloak was called 'old grog' by his sailors; (grogram is a course fabric of silk, mohair and wool, stiffened by gum). In 1740 Admiral Vernon was the first to serve rum diluted with water and lime juice to seamen, instead of neat rum, and his sailors called the new drink 'grog'. The purpose was chiefly to increase resistance to the disease, scurvy, which resulted from vitamin C deficiency. The practise of ensuring a regular intake of vitamin C in this way also gave rise to the term 'limey', used by foreigners initally to mean a British seaman, and later extended to British men generally.

There aint no lime juice in my grog - could be an expression for us proper Pirates.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 pm

Yarrr, them trendy young pirates dilutes their rum wiv bilimbi, an guava, an cherimoya, an suchloike. They finks they be habove thee old tried an true standarrrds loike loimes.

Scurrrvy-ridden, ruffely-shirrrted, moose-hairrred, blaggarrrds.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby tanguerra on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 am

Aargh! I wonder iffen he put any teeny tiny little parasols in em as well?
Aaarrrrgggh!

Reed me booke. It's got pirates innit http:\\how-to-find-love.com
tanguerra
Humble Hermit

Re: Grog

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:14 am

black bart wrote:Talkin of Expressions I just found this:

grog - derogatory term for beer or other alcoholic drink - after Admiral Edward Vernon, who because he wore a grogram cloak was called 'old grog' by his sailors; (grogram is a course fabric of silk, mohair and wool, stiffened by gum). In 1740 Admiral Vernon was the first to serve rum diluted with water and lime juice to seamen, instead of neat rum, and his sailors called the new drink 'grog'. The purpose was chiefly to increase resistance to the disease, scurvy, which resulted from vitamin C deficiency. The practise of ensuring a regular intake of vitamin C in this way also gave rise to the term 'limey', used by foreigners initally to mean a British seaman, and later extended to British men generally.

There aint no lime juice in my grog - could be an expression for us proper Pirates.

Arr bart. Oi beeen troi'in tah remember where oi heard a simmilar tale about this and some particularly nasty early piratical rum drinks.

Yer post got me mind tah workin, and oi haf fund it in the netherwebs of tha NPaRRRRRRRRR basement.

This chap haf recounted tha istory of tha new world through the perspktive of rum.

Ere be is interview.

Notice ee mentions "KillDevil", a particularly nasty early form of rum. Oi ave lived in the town of Kill Devil Hills NC. A town named fer pirates and this particular nasty rum concoktiun.

The neighboring town is "Nags Head". It was named after the practice where pirates would walk a mule down the beach with a lantern tied to its neck. As the mule's head bobbed up and down as it walked, the lantern would also bob up and down. To a ship at sea, it would look loike another ship bobbing in the ocean. They would come too close to shore, become shipwrecked, and the pirates would raid them.

Once again North Carolina FTAFPW (for the absolute fucking Pirate win!)!

Incidentally, oi really want to make some "Flip". Dark beer, rum, molasses, and then you shove a red hot iron poker into it to carmalize the whole mix. That sounds awesome! As soon as Oi foind a big cauldron and an Iron poker, Oim gonna throw a Flip party!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Rum

Postby black bart on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 am

Fascinatin...

Arrrrrrr...put me down fer a barrel o Flip matey...I loiks me grog Dark an Bubbly...just loik me wenches!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Rum

Postby The Black Spot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:10 am

black bart wrote:I loiks me grog Dark an Bubbly...just loik me wenches!

Don't ye mean underpants?
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 pm

...says "The Black Spot"...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:12 am

Whut froightens pirates? Oi'd say life witout scurvy.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Previous

Return to Pirate Discussion