Sodomy and Pirates

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Sodomy and Pirates

Postby Shoeman on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 am

In an interview given by Johnny Depp (whose real name is none other than Captain Jack Sparrow) he mentions that Pirates at sea would sometimes turn gay. Perfectly straight guys, but like in prison, sexual tension just builds and builds. In fact, pirate ships are cited as being a lot like prisons.

Hence why Captain Jack Sparrow might seem a little ambiguous regarding sexuality.

Of course we know that Pirate ships were never like Prisons (it goes against what Piracy is ABOUT). But do you think its common for Pirates to be bisexual? Or is it desperation? "Cabin boy! Drop your pants and bring me the rum!"
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Adelbert on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:20 am

Freud, at some points of his life, contended that eveyone was bisexual.

After all, if you look at Spartan men in Ancient Greece, it was expected that they would have homosexual flings, before settling down and marrying women. In fact, that was the whole basis of the Spartan Army.

Even today, if I recall correctly, most (~90% of people) are turned on by images of both sexes, even if they consider themselves gay or straight.

I'm not certain as to the level of acceptance of these theories amongst the scientific community.

I think one thing we can be certain of is that pirates in here will be fine with people of any orientation: straight, gay, bi, asexual, whatever.
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance."

-Hippocrates
Adelbert
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Big

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:36 am

Let any man o my crew look at me photo o Big Brenda and not feel his nautical juices risin and I'll have im flogged. No wonder Jack Sparrow looks a bit weedy...what as he got to chase up the riggin...Keira Knightley! She'd be washed over board in an april Shower...
GGGAAARRRRR, he needs a proper woman to get an hold of! :fsm_yarr:

"I've never worn a pink dress I tell ye...ye're confusin me with Dave L!"
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby beagle on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Brilliant, flogging!
Oops, did I say that out loud?
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby NeferKa on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:06 pm

I recall being told about the different types of love in ancient Greece. For example, agape love was the highest type of love, and it could only be between two men. (Women, who were seen as less than men, couldn't experience this type of love.)

This topic is interesting, but there's been various studies done lately that focus on the biological determination of sexuality. I just read about one that discussed that men who have older biological brothers are more apt to be homosexual as opposed to firstborns or men with older step-brothers or adopted siblings. This is to demonstrate that sexuality is biological and not social. The strange thing is, though, that all these studies are just focusing on men...
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Re: Sodomy and Pirates

Postby The Black Spot on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:05 pm

Shoeman wrote: "Cabin boy! Drop your pants and bring me the rum!"

That be completely back t' front. It'd take far too long for the lad t' get the rum wi' his trousers round 'is ankles.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby Aeger on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:18 pm

True, true, we have to remember the rum-before-pants-drop principle set in place by Black Beard in the third month of his campaign of piracy.
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby beagle on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:59 pm

NeferKa wrote: The strange thing is, though, that all these studies are just focusing on men...

Likewise the laws over here. I don't think lesbianism was ever illegal. Legend has it this is because no-one could bring themselves to explain to Queen Victoria that women "did that sort of thing". My own theory is that it was extensive lobbying by the heterosexual male video industry.

It is kind of weird to have to accept that your adult character may have been pretty much determined by genetics and what level of which hormones you were doused with in infancy. Better get used to it though, it's only a matter of time before they find the "incapable of putting the lavatory seat down" gene on the Y chromosome.
beagle
Brewmeister

Lav

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Good god...Ye have lavatories on board yer ship now! :?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Shoeman on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:23 pm

Note to self: Remind the greater world that the Flying Spaghetti Monster obviously sanctions ALL sexuality.

I was attracted to men once now that I think about it. I dont' think so now.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Crew

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:42 am

GGGAAARRRR - I'll send ye a photo o my crew, that'll help ye to decide!!! :?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Land Shark on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm

If I may quote Ron "Tater salad" White:
We're all gay, it's just to what extent are we gay.

:fsm_yarr:
Land Shark
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Eatin contest

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Twere a gay evenin on my ship tonight. Instead o the usual Friday night floggins and keel haulins I decided to let the lads have an evenin of repose and relaxation. I likes a change now and then so we organised a Fish Head Stew eatin contest for the lower ranks.

Cabin boys were exempt as they may be needed later! :fsm_yarr:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DaveL on Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:05 am

YArrrrr...

Speakin of Fred Phelps, check out this gem from Australian TV's 'Chaser's War on Everything'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrKmoIh ... ed&search=

YArrrr!!
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby beagle on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Truly, uttterly, surreally weird. Perhaps he had a bad experience with a Swedish au pair.
beagle
Brewmeister

Next

Return to Pirate Discussion