Ninja Pirates

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Ninja Pirates

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Arrgh, but ain't seeking out dangerous adventure what we ninja-pirates do?
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 am

Jus make sure ye muffles yer peg leg when ye tries sneakin up on Big Brenda!!! :shocked:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re:

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:51 am

PantyGnawer wrote:PG sneaks in and steals all your rum

Yaaarrrgh, hit be nigh on two year since PG ninja'd away thee rum. 'As henny-wun happree-endid 'im yet?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm

I would argue that Ninja Pirates aren't really Ninja Pirates, they are simply pirates being sneaky.

I mean, if you're piratey at all, that isn't very ninja-y. I mean, take a ninja, dressed like a ninja. Now have them act boisterous and drunk, etc, piratey. Seems odd.

Take a pirate though, dressed like a pirate, and sneak around after dark around the isle, or into the rival pirates cove, or sneak aboard another vessel in the dead of night, dispatching the night guards one at a time. Still piratey. Pirates still can be sneaky.

But a Ninja using a blunderbuss? I mean really.

The 1940 Errol Flynn movie has a good example of pirates being sneaky. He even pulls a reverse batman! It's awesome.

I'm not against ninjas, and am actually for ninja/pirate unity, but I really can't approve of this Ninja Pirate hybrid nonsense. It just doesn't make any sense, unless you're just a specialty pirate with improper nomenclature.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I would argue that Ninja Pirates aren't really Ninja Pirates, they are simply pirates being sneaky.

I mean, if you're piratey at all, that isn't very ninja-y. I mean, take a ninja, dressed like a ninja. Now have them act boisterous and drunk, etc, piratey. Seems odd.

Take a pirate though, dressed like a pirate, and sneak around after dark around the isle, or into the rival pirates cove, or sneak aboard another vessel in the dead of night, dispatching the night guards one at a time. Still piratey. Pirates still can be sneaky.

But a Ninja using a blunderbuss? I mean really.

I see where you're coming from. You're sort of right...

My definitions are as follows (inspired by Uncyclopedia):

A Ninja Pirate is a Pirate who has trained in the way of the Ninja. Absolutely awesome, because you have the fun, drunken persona of a pirate who can totally kick your butt and steal your wallet while you're lying dazed on the ground. (They could steal your wallet while you weren't lying dazed on the ground too, but where's the fun in that?)

A Pirate Ninja is a Ninja who operates on the open seas. These are not so fun, especially since no one even realizes their ship has been raided by until the Pirate Ninja is 314 kilometers away. They operate alone, and have strict honor codes as opposed to the Piratical Guidelines.
Bayes Theorum:

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 pm

On the other hand, a Pirate Ninja could be a Ninja who has dressed as a Pirate for the purposes of sneaking into a Pirate Tavern without drawing attention to him/herself. Pirate Taverns tend to be rowdy, crowded places with drunken folk making unpredictable movements. A Ninja would have a great deal of difficulty sneaking through that without starting a fight between the patrons.*

Whereas, by boldly dressing as a true Buccaneer (thereby being very sneaky) and rolling in like all the others, the Pirate Ninja can go about his/her business camouflaged to the surroundings!

*"Oi! Ye just shoved me!" "Nay, 'twernt me, Guv, 'onest! Must've been 'im!" Nah, 'twere that blaggard!" Thump.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Ham Nox on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:Pirate Taverns tend to be rowdy, crowded places with drunken folk making unpredictable movements. A Ninja would have a great deal of difficulty sneaking through that without starting a fight between the patrons.

I'd say... But my reasoning would be that a Ninja would reflexively make a lethal counterattack should an unfortunate pirate stumble drunkenly into 'im.
Bayes Theorum:

Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Ham Nox wrote:A Ninja Pirate is a Pirate who has trained in the way of the Ninja. Absolutely awesome, because you have the fun, drunken persona of a pirate who can totally kick your butt and steal your wallet while you're lying dazed on the ground. (They could steal your wallet while you weren't lying dazed on the ground too, but where's the fun in that?)

Sounds like a sneaky pirate to me. I bet I can find evidence in DnD books, where certain piratical classes have things like sneak, lockpick, pickpocket, etc, as class skills. There are plenty of sly roguish pirates. Just like there are many suave gentlemen pirates, who don't necessarily drink to excess.

Ham Nox wrote:A Pirate Ninja is a Ninja who operates on the open seas. These are not so fun, especially since no one even realizes their ship has been raided by until the Pirate Ninja is 314 kilometers away. They operate alone, and have strict honor codes as opposed to the Piratical Guidelines.

Pirate Ninjas of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:15 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:There are plenty of sly roguish pirates. Just like there are many suave gentlemen pirates, who don't necessarily drink to excess.

You called?
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:There are plenty of sly roguish pirates. Just like there are many suave gentlemen pirates, who don't necessarily drink to excess.

You called?

Yeah. Let's get hammered.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Sounds like a sneaky pirate to me. I bet I can find evidence in DnD books, where certain piratical classes have things like sneak, lockpick, pickpocket, etc, as class skills. There are plenty of sly roguish pirates. Just like there are many suave gentlemen pirates, who don't necessarily drink to excess.

Well, there is a bit more to a Ninja than being sneaky if you ask me. Ninja is supposedly a way of life. Besides learning to fight and sneak around, a Ninja's training includes a lot of philosophy and spiritual rites. While a Ninja-Pirate is mostly a sneaky pirate, one of the things they inevitably gain from ninja training is a sense of what it means to have inner peace and harmony. I's a big fan of Tao meself :)

Adding the Ninja prefix is just a matter of whether the Pirate has gone through Ninja training and still partially associates himself with the Ninja way. It's the self-association with Ninja-kind that matters, not the Ninja skills themselves.

Qwertuiopasd wrote:Pirate Ninjas of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Unusual size? Whatever do you mean by that?
Bayes Theorum:

Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Just a reference. I really just meant I don't really believe those exist.

Still, I feel like a pirate/ninja hybrid would still predominantly be pirate. Ninja, I feel, is an exclusive term. If you're not strictly a ninja, wouldn't they disown you or something? Or, if you were a gentleman pirate who studied the art of being invisible, as well as Taoism, wouldn't they dislike you for taking their schools of though and tactics, and being a pirate with it? Or at least, not helping them?

I suppose it's up to the individual to define themselves, but I just don't like the Ninja Pirate or Pirate Ninja nomenclature.

Besides, wouldn't it be more deceptive to simply refer to yourself as a Pirate, and hide your ninja nature? :wink:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Besides, wouldn't it be more deceptive to simply refer to yourself as a Pirate, and hide your ninja nature? :wink:

By Golly, Yer right!! I never though o' it that way :fsm_ninja:
Bayes Theorum:

Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Ham Nox wrote:By Golly, Yer right!! I never though o' it that way :fsm_yarr:

Fix'd. :roll:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Ham stumbles in noisily and borrows all yer rum, promisin' to return it later.
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion