Moderator: All Things Mods

Cutlass or Pistol

Cutlass
77%
Pistol
23%

Total votes : 101

Postby Keeper of the Cutlass on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:59 am

JohnGalt717 wrote:The cutlass be far better than those lousy pistols, though a rapier be better than the cutlass.

Rapiers!!! Those scrawny twigs'r fine fur a London Dandy on a boating excursion. But a REAL fightin' MAN needs muscle and brawn!
No nancy boy rapier'll chop thru bone to get to the heart of it!!
Keeper of the Cutlass
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:05 pm

Being more'f a viking meeself, I prefer dem heavy battleaxes too (not the female relative that is). But de hardtack they hand out these days, dem are no good fer eating when ya wanna retain some teeth. Sharpen the edge, dat's what I say an' throw them. Cuts thru sev'ral inches o' oakwood like thru butter. but do never put em inna cannon, dey leave deep rifts inna bore and are too destructive fer use (you wanna plunder dem merchantmans, not blast 'em to hell (at least not before the plunderin')).
An' if ye haven't signed dem bloody restrictive papers, jus' breath at dem an' dey will drop dead (no toothbrushes on my good ship, dat's against all custom an' honour!).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Duke on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:25 pm

I've got one: katanas or throwing stars?

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Swatopluk on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:30 am

Katanas are the kings of swords!
Throwing stars have an ill reputation for obvious reasons!
I still prefer my axe!
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:42 pm

Swatopluk wrote:Katanas are the kings of swords!
Throwing stars have an ill reputation for obvious reasons!
I still prefer my axe!

Throwing stars are pretty hard to use.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:48 pm

What about woomeras (used already by the early homo sapiens and therefore probably by the midgits too)?
Bobby gave us midgits and I will stay with that (Zwirge in German instead of Zwerge, rhymes with Gebirge = mountains)!
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Swatopluk wrote:What about woomeras (used already by the early homo sapiens and therefore probably by the midgits too)?
Bobby gave us midgits and I will stay with that (Zwirge in German instead of Zwerge, rhymes with Gebirge = mountains)!

You can make yourself a song:

The FSM made the Gebirge, he made the Zwirge..............

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:01 pm

Hey, that's what I came here for in the first place (look into the hymn and the foreign language section).

Türmt Spaghetti zum Gebirge,
Tränkt sie mit Tomatensoß',
Hat geschaffen auch die Zwirge.
Monster, Du bist wahrlich groß!

to just quote an excerpt.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby DaveL on Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:58 am

Arghhhh...

That be a foine question. Me pistol oy use for long range and me cutlass is fer gettin in noice and close, so oy can slit their gizzards.

Oy favour me cutlass, for it be atruly artful way of killin some Royal Navy swabby flea bitten scurvy dog.

Yarrr..
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:58 am

If'n oi had ta be choosin' just tha one, oid be choosin tha cutlass. Tis a good solid weapon with which ta run me enemies thru, whereupon oi can gorge meself on their treasure an' foinery. Ever the how ("however", don't know why I said it like that...), oi be thinkin that th'cannon be the moitiest weapon on the eaarrth, and that it be the best wipon a poirate c'n 'ave.

-(Brackets)
"The Big Bang violates the first Law of Thermodynamics!"
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Swatopluk on Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:56 am

Cannon good! But have ye ever tried a tavern brawl with a 12-pounder in every hand? Artillery no use at close quarters, except if ye can drop it on someone. And if ye blast the tavern from outside, where can ye quaff the next beer?
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby johngalt on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:43 pm

I be laikin' the ole cutlass. If ye boards a ship, then ye be fightin' at close range, and any good pirate'll tell ya that guns ain't any bloody use at close range. Too much aim needed. A cutlass'll cut a whole arc o' enemies, but a gun only get's one of 'em. Ye also have ta worry about ammo wit' a pistol. A cutlass don't be needing any blinkin' ammo.
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Duke on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:48 am

johngalt wrote:I be laikin' the ole cutlass. If ye boards a ship, then ye be fightin' at close range, and any good pirate'll tell ya that guns ain't any bloody use at close range. Too much aim needed. A cutlass'll cut a whole arc o' enemies, but a gun only get's one of 'em. Ye also have ta worry about ammo wit' a pistol. A cutlass don't be needing any blinkin' ammo.

I got one. You are boarding my ship, cutting swaths out of guys on the deck with your cutlass. I am in the crows nest, with my pistols. I start shooting at you. You get rather dead. Or, another one. I am on the deck, where you are cutting people up. You come after me, run backwards, away from your cutlass, and I shoot you. Touche.:wink:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby kaioshin00 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:25 am

Avast me hearty Duke, oi be well learned in t'art o' cutlass parrying - oi'd be plenty safe wit me quick strokes.
:shellfish: :shellfish: March of the crabbies :shellfish: :shellfish:
kaioshin00
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:03 am

Hitting somebody from the crow's nest with a pistol? Only when there is not a squarefoot of deck unoccupied. Throwing the pistol will have more of an effect (especially from great height). But you can drop a cannon from up there (if you take the pains to get it up there). The piano is out of question for that because out of place on a decent pirate ship. Even Disney hasn't tried a piano in the crow's nest yet (but don't put it beyond dem)!
Some fency a sabre with an inbuild pistol. I don't! It ruins the balance completely!
Battleaxe remains my choice with cutlass a close second.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion