Why Brits are better than Yanks

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Why Brits are better than Yanks

Postby Rainswept on Sat May 03, 2014 12:01 pm

guys, older only equals better for George Takei and Betty White. Most of the time age works like it did for Mel Gibson.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby DavidH on Sat May 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Depends on what's old, Rain. Sit and chill out in a building that's changed very little in the last 1,200 years, and you get an idea of why they're worth keeping.

I've been in buildings in Herculaneum (2,000 years) and even older tombs in Egypt and Malta. Wayland's Smithy, here in England, is 5,500 years old, so is Arthur's Stone just down the road from me. Sit in there and you know what old means.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby PKMKII on Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Well it's not like we didn't have people in America building structures thousands of years ago. They just had a culture/climate/lifestyle that lead to the kind of structures that didn't last thousands of years.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby DavidH on Sat May 03, 2014 1:04 pm

But you have no continuity with those cultures, much less even than we have with some of the Neolithic structures over here. But when I see that door, or sit in Jarrow or Deerhurst, about 1,200 years old, I am linked with the men of that time, who were English and spoke an earlier version of my language. I can even read contemporary writings of that time, in English. I only have to stroll a hundred yards down the road to my village church to see parts which are 900 years old in a building which is still performing the rôle it was built for.

That's called having roots.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat May 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Once upon a time, when my older children (now in their thirties) were toddlers, I was taking a bus ride into town.

Seated behind me were a pair of ladies, American tourists.

As we passed a mediocre church, they were all excited "Look at that old church! It's so old…" that sort of thing.

I'm afraid I couldn't resist. I turned around and told them that, on the contrary, it was a modern church; Victorian, only about 150 years old.

:evilgrin:

Of course, they then asked what on Earth would make a church 'old'.

I told them that modern was less than 200 years old, average was 200 - 800 years old, old was anything older than that. Ancient was over 2000 years old.

:haha:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Sat May 03, 2014 4:32 pm

DavidH wrote:But you have no continuity with those cultures, much less even than we have with some of the Neolithic structures over here.

Well that's not entirely true. The U.S. Constitution is partially based on the Iroquois government system. Plus that whole "growing a ton of corn" thing? We picked that up from the natives.

DavidH wrote:But when I see that door, or sit in Jarrow or Deerhurst, about 1,200 years old, I am linked with the men of that time, who were English and spoke an earlier version of my language.

Which is great if you're a white English person whose family hasn't moved out of a 50 mile radius for thousands of years. But what makes American great is that because we have this immigrant tradition, anyone can come here, become a citizen, and bam! they're American, and part of that tradition. Sure, we've got our xenophobes, but they're more marginalized than in Europe, have to hide behind code words. We don't have major political parties built around explicit xenophobia.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Rainswept on Sun May 04, 2014 3:07 am

I think we've stretched the joke as far as it's gonna go lol
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby DavidH on Sun May 04, 2014 5:20 am

I fear so. :lol:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby daftbeaker on Sun May 04, 2014 12:14 pm

PKMKII wrote:Oooh, we're talking history? Here's some fun 'Murican history from just shy of 238 years ago:

And some more 'murican history from 200 years ago :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sun May 04, 2014 2:21 pm

We were meaning to redo the place anyway :guilty:

PKMKII

Postby Capt'n Chestbeard on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

As my Dad once told me:
'The difference between the Americans and the Brits is that Americans think 200 years is a long time, but the Brits think 200 miles is a long way'
Part-time dolphin Trainer, Full Time Ninja

Pastafarian Minister of Lincolnshire

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams
Capt'n Chestbeard
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Capt'n Chestbeard wrote:As my Dad once told me:
'The difference between the Americans and the Brits is that Americans think 200 years is a long time, but the Brits think 200 miles is a long way'

Too true

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Griffin on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:57 pm

If you take Modern History at Oxford University, it begins around 1066. :haha: (actually I think it is earlier like maybe 2,000 BC, but I can't actually remember that far back).
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Griffin wrote:If you take Modern History at Oxford University, it begins around 1066. :haha: (actually I think it is earlier like maybe 2,000 BC, but I can't actually remember that far back).

Well if you consider that the University was founded in about 1096, (making it 113 years older than Cambridge!), then 1066 would seem fairly contemporary.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Griffin on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Griffin wrote:If you take Modern History at Oxford University, it begins around 1066. :haha: (actually I think it is earlier like maybe 2,000 BC, but I can't actually remember that far back).

Well if you consider that the University was founded in about 1096, (making it 113 years older than Cambridge!), then 1066 would seem fairly contemporary.

CF

If you consider that Oxford was founded around 1096 and Cambridge 113 years later, then how old they both are is, well, given it's around 1,000 years ago, about the same really. Not that I feel the need to defend Cambridge. After all, it's ahead of Oxford in the league tables.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion