Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby PKMKII on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm

So our kiddie (soccer) football league, the MLS, had their cup game. Real Salt Lake beat L.A. Galaxy in PKs, despite L.A. having Europe's leftovers*.

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 am

PKMKII wrote:So our kiddie (soccer) football league, the MLS, had their cup game. Real Salt Lake beat L.A. Galaxy in PKs, despite L.A. having Europe's leftovers*.

Please don't refer to David as 'Europe's leftovers'...Posh Spice married him because he's a very special man...

...he's the only fella who can lob Seaman at 60 yards!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:17 am

The fans enjoyed their marriage as well. Apparently after they married Beckham was greeted with the (repeated) chanting of 'Does she take it up the arse?'
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:35 am

daftbeaker wrote:The fans enjoyed their marriage as well. Apparently after they married Beckham was greeted with the (repeated) chanting of 'Does she take it up the arse?'

Well I'm not surprised...have you heard what is the difference between David Beckham and Posh Spice?

Posh Spice doesn't kick back when she's taken from behind.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Sports Illustrated has named Derek Jeter* Sportsman of the Year. In related news, A-rod has been named Narcissist of the Year by Douchebag Illustrated.

*Okay, I know he's a biracial New York City baseball star, but Derek Jeter is one seriously redneck name
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby black bart on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:15 pm

See you at the World Cup in South Africa USA!

England v USA World Cup Finals Rustenburg 12 June 2010.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm

That'd be something; all of England watching, and America not realizing the World Cup was even going on until they read about it in the newspaper the next day.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Yeah, it's like the World Series, only they let foreigners in...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Yeah, it's like the World Series, only they let foreigners in...

What are you talking about? Our baseball teams have nothing but foreign players from the Caribbean and Japan.

PKMKII

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't normally pay attention to college (American) football, but my school, William and Mary, just won their second Championship Tournament game and are going to the semi-finals next week! They were on TV and everything! (That does not happen to us very often).
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby black bart on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:52 am

Well clearly my post about the USA v England in the World Cup hasn't caught the imaginations of my fellow Pastafarians but it has already started the British press coming up with nonsense. Yesterday Everton (near Liverpool...affectionately known as The Toffees) drew 2 - 2 with Tottenham Hotspur (from North London...affectionately known as The Yids). In the final minutes Tottenham's Jermaine Defoe took a penalty which Tim Howard saved. Because Tim Howard is the USA no1 goal keeper and Defoe is the England striker, there was the newspaper headline USA 1 England 0.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas has come out of the closet. Well, at least it's not sheep...

PKMKII

Postby farfalla on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:14 pm

(loaded question alert)

PKMKll...sooooo - with the giants not in the running

who do you think will be in the super bowl ...New Yorker?
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:27 am

Way I see it after the first week of playoffs:

Jets vs. Chargers

This is a tricky one, and could easily go to either team here. The Chargers are the perpetual also-rans of the playoffs, always looking like great AFC championship contenders, but always getting shot down along the way. They have experience here that the Jets do not. However, the Chargers are not the team they used to be; their offensive centerpiece, LaDanian Tomplinson, has seen his number slipping. This, against the best defense in the league, especially the pass game terror that is Darrelle Revis. And let's face it, the Chargers are in one of the worst divisions in the league, second probably only to the NFC West. What this will come down to, is how the Jets offense, particularly rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, play. If they bring the game they brought to Cinncinati on Saturday, Jets win it.

Colts vs. Ravens
I knew the Ravens had the potential to beat the Pats, but I didn't imagine it would be that easy for them. Still, I don't think they have what it takes to beat Indy. The Pats were not a team at the top of their game; the loss of Wes Welker punched a huge hole in their offense, meaning that the Ravens could effectively shut down the pass game simply by keeping Randy Moss well covered. The Colts, however, are not missing their powerhouse offensive starters. Manning, Wayne, Addai, Clark, all there. As long as they do their thing, and Freeney can make some big plays on defense, Colts have it without much fuss. Also, keep in mind that the Colts won their regular season match-up against the Ravens.

As long as I'm at it, Colts would beat either the Chargers or the Jets. Chargers, for pretty much the same reasons that the Jets could, and the Jets because we all know that the Jets were handed a freebie when they won the regular season match-up. So, Colts as AFC champions.

Cowboys vs.Vikings
I give this one to Minnesota. Dallas has been playing well as of late, but not well enough. Beating Philly was not much of a surprise, given their regular season match-ups. But they also suffered some embarrassing regular seasons losses, notably the ones to the Giants and the just unseated Packers. Not to mention that only 4 of their regular season wins came against teams with winning records. They also suffer from having a QB that is not so much a great QB, but more like a facsimile of a great QB. Minnesota just needs to get a standard performance out of the monstrosities that are Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson, and have Favre survive.

Cardinals vs. Saints
Cakewalk for the Saints. Arizona just allowed the 2nd lowest seeded team in the NFC to score 45 points against them. That is not a recipe for playoff success. Up against the team that scored the most points in the regular season? And who had the best points scored-to-points allowed ratio in the league? As long as New Orleans is vaguely pointed in the right direction of something resembling a defense, cakewalk.

Now Saints vs. Vikings, that I call a toss-up. They both have powerhouse defenses and offenses. The real question will be, just how old is Favre going to feel that day? He's been energetic for the regular season, largely due to the Vikings management limiting his practice time, and being able to consistently rely on the run game. But you don't win in the playoffs by being reserved. Beating New Orleans is going to require going all out, and it remains to be seen whether or not Favre can handle that.

The Pro Bowl
will suck as usual, except with the added bonus of not having any of the super bowl teams' players on the field, making it even more dull and pointless.

Super Bowl
Assuming Colts vs. either the Vikings or New Orleans, toss up. It definitely won't be one of those disgusting lop-sided slaughterings, like those the NFC committed in the 80's and 90's. It will be evenly matched, and hopefully a good game.

PKMKII

Postby farfalla on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 pm

WoW .. (not wold of warcraft kind)... PK

Have you looked into writing for local sports channel?

Well, I asked, but seriously-
Thanks - looking forward to tonight's dinner, where this subject might come up, to casually dropping some of that and enjoying the looks :evilgrin:
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind
farfalla
Feline Fatale

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion