Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby bonsaiherb on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

I've always been completely underwhelmed by any sport - WTF is the point?
Why can't we care about stuff that actually means something and benefits mankind as a whole?

Most sports basically are substitutes for aggregation. Military deception, trickery, subterfuge, lying, blitz attacks and the like in order to come out on top! Sports is just a modern relief valve for War and the accumulation of resources. In the case of modern sports, obscene amounts of MONEY. Thinking of the 'Ronaldo's, Lerbron James, Kobe Byrants throw in ego and the perks of female adoration.

In High School years it is also a way to reduce the testosterone short circuit that young males go through. While we think of the highest payed critters, most athletes struggle just to make ends meet and risk their health and limbs in the competitive high of challenging and being challenged.

I would further add, that sometimes we just need to watch something a bit more (frivolous and un-meaningful in the scope of life) when we have to deal with politicians and their Machiavellian power games. Gone to any City or Govt. meetings recently? Planning commissions? YUP -- you are totally ignored. Sometimes, its just nice to lay on the couch or chair and be awed by these efforts. Even if some of them are floppers, Latin fuss-ball is an actors wet dream.
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Elvalia on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 am

Canada plays England this Sunday at the Women's Rugby World Cup. I know a minor celebrity - one of the team Canada players used to prop for me in our younger years.

One of the local pubs is inviting everyone to come down, get drunk, and watch the game this weekend. I just might do it.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Elvalia wrote:One of the local pubs is inviting everyone to come down, get drunk, and watch the game this weekend. I just might do it.

Rugby is much better in a pub for the atmosphere (assuming you haven't actually got tickets for the match). Even when I've been in a pub with two large groups of opposing fans there's been good-natured competition and rivalry but it was still friendly.

The only downside is getting near the bar, sending someone to buy a round 5 minutes before half time works well :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 pm

On the first Sunday of the NFL season, Antonio Brown shows an example of a foul in football:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion