Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 am

PKMKII wrote:Matt Cain to be National League's starting pitcher in All-Star Game. Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey has better numbers, but NL team manager Tony La Russa doesn't think starting catcher Buster Posey can catch Dickey's knuckleball. Dickey will probably come in for relief when backup catcher Carlos Ruiz comes in.

Did you know that when baseball first became popular just after the Civil War the batsman could ask for a high or a low pitch as he pleased?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:19 am

National League wins the All-Star Game, 8-0. Last year's AL MVP and Cy Young award winner Justin Verlander gave up 5 in the first, was all downhill for the DH'ing league from there. For the Mets, Wright went 0 for 2, Dickey thew a shutout inning with a strikeout, a double play, one hit, and one hit by pitch. And every 30 seconds the Fox announcer mentioned that he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro for charity.

black bart wrote:Did you know that when baseball first became popular just after the Civil War the batsman could ask for a high or a low pitch as he pleased?

Old-timey baseball is full of weird rules. You used to be able to steal bases backwards (be safe on second, then steal first).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 am

PKMKII wrote:National League wins the All-Star Game, 8-0. Last year's AL MVP and Cy Young award winner Justin Verlander gave up 5 in the first, was all downhill for the DH'ing league from there. For the Mets, Wright went 0 for 2, Dickey thew a shutout inning with a strikeout, a double play, one hit, and one hit by pitch. And every 30 seconds the Fox announcer mentioned that he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro for charity.

black bart wrote:Did you know that when baseball first became popular just after the Civil War the batsman could ask for a high or a low pitch as he pleased?

Old-timey baseball is full of weird rules. You used to be able to steal bases backwards (be safe on second, then steal first).

HA ! Did they ransom the things ?
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 am

I've been reading all about the Wild West and that's where I read about the early Baseball. There was also Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, and Rodeo which continues to this day. Apparently the costumes the cowboys wear in rodeo have more to do with Cossacks than traditional Cowboy attire.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Consider this a placeholder for me giving you a story about Glasgow Rangers Football Club, established 1888. It's quite an extraordinary story, I just need to wait until it stops moving so fast and I can capture a snapshot of it.

I'll get back to you. But it's a story...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 am

They have been relegated have they not?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 am

black bart wrote:They have been relegated have they not?
No, not really. A new entity, 'The' Rangers, has joined SFL division 3. Glasgow Rangers, est. 1888, has ceased to be.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:They have been relegated have they not?
No, not really. A new entity, 'The' Rangers, has joined SFL division 3. Glasgow Rangers, est. 1888, has ceased to be.

I'd just like to congratulate Celtic on winning the Scottish Premier League for 2013, 2014 and 2015 :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 am

daftbeaker wrote:I'd just like to congratulate Celtic on winning the Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs Scottish Premier League for 2013, 2014 and 2015 :idiot:
FTFY. Provided that Celtic's books don't get too close an examination for dual contracts etc. in the aftermath of the Rangers inquiries...
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:49 pm

This ESPN article on Britain's apathy for Olympic soccer says some pretty stupid things.

Who cares about the Olympic soccer tournament?

This has been a common question raised across Great Britain this summer, with the indifference tested further by David Beckham's surprise omission from Stuart Pearce's 18-man squad.

Beckham is an old man. He hasn't played for a European club since 2010, and hasn't played for Man U since 2003. He plays for an MLS team because the MLS can only afford sub-par talent and players past their prime. Not putting him on the Olympic squad makes complete sense. Anybody who pays even a remote amount of attention to soccer knows that Beckham is not the height of English soccer anymore.

Brazil cares about the Olympic soccer tournament. So does Uruguay. Spain is taking it seriously too. The three most important soccer nations competing are putting 100 percent into the Olympics.

Okay, Brazil and Spain make sense as the two most important soccer nations, but Uruguay? Not Italy, or Germany?

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 am

Uruguay have won the World Cup 3 times!

Admittedly it was about 70 years ago and no one else turned up.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:07 pm

The Mets have now fallen below the .500 mark for the first time this season, and our ace pitcher Santana is out for at least 15 days with an ankle injury. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

The Daily Mash: Bradley Wiggins tells the French to eat it

Describing the tour [de France], Wiggins said: “It’s been an amazing journey over the last few weeks, I’ve met so many incredible people and made my family proud, but the best bit of it is that the French can suck my dick.”

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 am

PKMKII wrote:The Daily Mash: Bradley Wiggins tells the French to eat it

Describing the tour [de France], Wiggins said: “It’s been an amazing journey over the last few weeks, I’ve met so many incredible people and made my family proud, but the best bit of it is that the French can suck my dick.”

:lol:

Yes that's sums up just how I feel...Hurragh for Bradley.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion