Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 pm

PKMKII wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Personally I thought Rooney was involved in at least half of England's chances.

All three of them?

Cheek.

There were at least five.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 am

There were no high expectations for this England team and they lived up to expectations.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks to your "sport", I now have to go 4 weeks without Gardener's World. Thanks a lot, sport! :whip: :annoyed: :shocked: :furious:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 am

Brian Dozier calls upon the dark arts to get an RBI hit.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

37 minutes into the Euro 2012 final, does anyone else understand what the Italian tactics are here? Because it looks like they are playing to lose. Italy have control in their own half, they have great mobility and are moving the ball well, but they are not attacking the Spanish goal. WTF?
:confused:

Edit: 2-0 Spain (41, Alba). How are they doing this? What is happening to Italy here?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby gronank on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm

^Could it be that the Italian players are part of a community where some prominent members has taken a sizable gamble on the Spanish team?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:15 am

naaaah
Playarrs taint loud ta gambull .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 am

It's depressing really...I don't think England will ever have a team like that. Bring back the days when Chopper Harris could kick Fabregas's arse right off the pitch and we might have a chance.

It's simple football when you look at it though, even Swansea have mastered the passing style that makes Spain so good (if a little boring to watch on occasions in the case of Spain). So few passes go astray in the Spanish team but then if I had players on £10 Million a year I would expect them to be able to pass the ball quite well.

I enjoyed this tournament but I felt it was inevitable that Spain would win right from the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the World Cup again as well (although Brazil may have something to say about that).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Keeping with their high standards of journalism, the Daily Mail has run not one but two articles on why the winning Olympic sprinters will be the descendants of slaves.

Some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.

Which raises the question: wouldn't the faster slaves been more likely to escape? If they're going with the selective breeding theory, wouldn't they have "breed" for lifting stamina, not the ability to make it to Canada faster than everyone else?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:Keeping with their high standards of journalism, the Daily Mail has run not one but two articles on why the winning Olympic sprinters will be the descendants of slaves.

Some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.

Which raises the question: wouldn't the faster slaves been more likely to escape? If they're going with the selective breeding theory, wouldn't they have "breed" for lifting stamina, not the ability to make it to Canada faster than everyone else?
Multiple Olympic medalist Michael Johnson is presenting a programme on Channel 4 tonight on that very subject. So it's more about the Daily Mail ripping an idea off a TV documentary than anything else...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 am

COME ON, TIM!

...er, I mean Andy...
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 am

Why oh Why did they put the roof on? Big nosed Swiss git!!!!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 am

So on Saturday, Andy Murray was the great British hope at Wimbledon. Now that he's lost the match, he's back to being Scottish...
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am

Roy Hunter wrote:So on Saturday, Andy Murray was the great British hope at Wimbledon. Now that he's lost the match, he's back to being Scottish...

:evilgrin: All we need to do is get him to breed with Pippa Middleton or do I mean Maria Sharapova?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Matt Cain to be National League's starting pitcher in All-Star Game. Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey has better numbers, but NL team manager Tony La Russa doesn't think starting catcher Buster Posey can catch Dickey's knuckleball. Dickey will probably come in for relief when backup catcher Carlos Ruiz comes in.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion