Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby PKMKII on Wed May 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Huh, I always thought Vidal Sassoon was some made-up name, or a reference to some hairstyling technique or concept.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 pm

PKMKII wrote:Huh, I always thought Vidal Sassoon was some made-up name, or a reference to some hairstyling technique or concept.

Philistine.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun May 13, 2012 6:46 am

Donald "Duck" Dunn, bassist with Booker T & the MGs, Sam & Dave, The Blues Brothers, Muddy Waters, almost everyone who recorded on Stax...

Green Onions.
:cry:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 17, 2012 12:00 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu May 17, 2012 5:56 pm

As someone who spent more time than is good for anyone hanging around recording studios, this makes me sad.

Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand once recorded a duet called 'No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)'. Streisand is notorious for doing (literally) thirty or forty vocal takes. Donna Summer would listen to them recording the backing track, sing the vocal once, then bugger off for champagne and sushi.

It's bad enough when the producer wants five takes and the singer only wants to do three, what the hell happens when you have two Mega-Divas in the room, and one wants to do one take and the other wants to do thirty? I would have liked to be a studio monkey at that one...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 am

I remember disco...Fortunately there are no photos.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sun May 20, 2012 1:35 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.

Good riddance.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 am

Robin Gibb. :cry:

They were a great band The Beegees.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon May 21, 2012 5:31 pm

black bart wrote:Robin Gibb. :cry:

They were a great band The Beegees.

I guess you could say he's no longer, stayin' alive.

Too soon?

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue May 22, 2012 4:27 pm

What a sad past few weeks for the world of music, what with the loss of some great people. They will be sadly missed, but their work will live on in their many recordings. Dead musicians, we salute you. :drinking:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

The London Olympics apparently didn't hear who died.

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Keith Moon, drummer with The Who. 32. Drug overdose. In 1978.
Roy Hunter

Re: The London Olympics apparently didn't hear who died.

Postby PKMKII on Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Keith Moon, drummer with The Who. 32. Drug overdose. In 1978.

So, uh, who's gonna tell the Olympics organizers that John Lennon got shot?

PKMKII

Re: The London Olympics apparently didn't hear who died.

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 am

PKMKII wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:Keith Moon, drummer with The Who. 32. Drug overdose. In 1978.

So, uh, who's gonna tell the Olympics organizers that John Lennon got shot?

I can't imagine having to do that.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I can't imagine having to do that.
That is such a terrible pun. Honestly, how do you sleep?
Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion