Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Sorry Ubi, but I maintain that big bird is 40. :P

Plus, I find it hard to believe that there can be a 6 year old that mature. Unless it's like, 6 human years, but 20 something in bird years?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:43 am

Mollie Sugden, best known as Mrs Slocombe from 'Are you being served?' has taken her pussy to the Beer Volcano:

and so has Karl Malden.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bacon on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:50 am

:cry:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 am

It's a real shame about Mollie Sugden, but I would be delighted if that means we get some re-runs of Are You Being Served? on the idiot box. It comes from that fantastic era of the BBC where the bright young writers were turning out thinly-veiled innuendo, but the rather staid and older producers and managers couldn't spot it for what it was.

Back in the 1960s, on a radio show called Round The Horne, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick played two archly camp luvvie actors called Julian and Sandy. Their dialogue was full of gay innuendo (at the time homosexuality was illegal in the UK), and the producers knew that it was in there, but couldn't point out specific instances of it, not knowing the slang of the day.

They called the writers and the actors into a conference and said "This stuff is immoral and possibly illegal, and we can't broadcast it". The crew asked them to point out any instance where someone had said anything that could be misconstrued, or get the BBC into trouble. The producers could not find any specific instances. The show went ahead.

Here's a little sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IZdNK2nAas
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:48 am

Are you implying that modern TV is rubbish? What can you possibly have against Snog, Marry, Avoid? or Make My Body Younger or Big Brother or forget it, I get the point :barf:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 am

Roy Hunter wrote:It's a real shame about Mollie Sugden, but I would be delighted if that means we get some re-runs of Are You Being Served? on the idiot box. It comes from that fantastic era of the BBC where the bright young writers were turning out thinly-veiled innuendo, but the rather staid and older producers and managers couldn't spot it for what it was.

Back in the 1960s, on a radio show called Round The Horne, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick played two archly camp luvvie actors called Julian and Sandy. Their dialogue was full of gay innuendo (at the time homosexuality was illegal in the UK), and the producers knew that it was in there, but couldn't point out specific instances of it, not knowing the slang of the day.

They called the writers and the actors into a conference and said "This stuff is immoral and possibly illegal, and we can't broadcast it". The crew asked them to point out any instance where someone had said anything that could be misconstrued, or get the BBC into trouble. The producers could not find any specific instances. The show went ahead.

Here's a little sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IZdNK2nAas

Mango is celtic for loveable? :haha:

I've got Kenneth Williams and Tony Hancock in 'The Publicity Photographs' somewhere it's hilarious.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 am

daftbeaker wrote:Are you implying that modern TV is rubbish? What can you possibly have against Snog, Marry, Avoid? or Make My Body Younger or Big Brother or forget it, I get the point :barf:

I confess I have attempted to watch 'Snog, Marry, Avoid' once or twice. To me most of the women on the programme end up looking worse after the makeover...that's probably because I have very poor taste though...my god some of them are walking around nearly naked!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I confess to ignorance of the show itself, but that would be a problem how?
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I confess to ignorance of the show itself, but that would be a problem how?
Well, you're a young guy so you probably appreciate the half-naked babes. Bart and I are a bit older, so we think "Oh my FSM, what if my daughter went out like that?", and Daftbeaker..? No I give up. No idea what he thinks of it. Definitely dancing to a different drummer.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I confess to ignorance of the show itself, but that would be a problem how?
Well, you're a young guy so you probably appreciate the half-naked babes. Bart and I are a bit older, so we think "Oh my FSM, what if my daughter went out like that?", and Daftbeaker..? No I give up. No idea what he thinks of it. Definitely dancing to a different drummer.

That's about the kindest way of saying 'he's a bit odd' I've heard. Definitely using that in future :haha:

I object to it because the usual people they have on are whiny, self-obsessed idiots who apply make-up with a bricklayer's trowel and clothes that look like they're cutting off the circulation to the extremities. This is a typical representation. Then there's 5 minutes of an incredibly patronising 'computer' talking about why wearing Polyfilla makes people look like slappers and then they go out without being caked in cosmetics, followed by an interview where they say 'Well, it was nice to try but I'm going to carry on doing it how I was before'. Pointless and irritating[/rant]
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 pm

daftbeaker wrote:This is a typical representation.

That was .. :><: .. disturbing. Is that actually considered attractive among young people? Anywhere on this planet? (Earth, I mean.) She looks like a guy in drag. Yuck.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I object to it because the usual people they have on are whiny, self-obsessed idiots who apply make-up with a bricklayer's trowel and clothes that look like they're cutting off the circulation to the extremities. This is a typical representation.

Ewww, Ewww, EWWWW! I have to go wash my brain now. I almost never wear makeup myself, just for special occasions and photos mostly. I refuse to buy makeup from Mary Kay, because it's all sparkly, and when I see somebody wearing it I don't think "she looks nice" I think, "oh, loud makeup." In that clip, I'm not sure there actually was a girl under all that. Just a shallow walking pile of fakery. Blech. I hope she is one to "avoid".

Oh, and back on topic, Harve Presnell died. He was in Fargo, among many other movies.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I almost never wear makeup myself, just for special occasions and photos mostly.

Bravissima. Ditto Mrs. T. I think she still has the same eyeliner she used for our wedding back in 1996.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:16 am

I barely ever wear makeup myself, the only two exceptions are when I got in drag for important school functions.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:45 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I barely ever wear makeup myself, the only two exceptions are when I got in drag for important school functions.

This is a highly complex subject which I feel needs more in depth research for example:

Here's a picture of me wearing too much make up next to lady with no where near enough make up for a tory politician:

black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion