Comments? Reviews?

Caution! Spoilers abound! If you have not read the book, enter at your own peril.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Comments? Reviews?

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:26 am

I'm only about 30 pages into it so far but it seems eerily similar to some christian fundamentalist literature a neighbour loaned me once.

That & it reminds me of "The Message From the UFOs" (I think that was what it was called - I loaned it to a friend but her flatmate stole it so I haven't seen it for awhile), by Rael (yes - the French race driver cum UFO cult prophet).

As Tom Waits once said: "I never laughed at Spinal Tap. It seemed too real"

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Religions Based On Things That Fly

:worship: :fsm:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Religion ?

Postby 1handclapping on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:34 am

Does one really make up a religion ? People always use to wonder about it. Visit the Pantheon in Rome (Italy ) There is a masterpiece in architexture dedicated to non-descript religion.. "To all the Gods"

Rather than being the answer to all questions, maybe religion is the big question within ...
Kia ago, tia pago
1handclapping
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am

Heavy, 1HC. You may want to consider the FSM monkhood.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Re: Religion ?

Postby PirateKingOfTheGoldCoast on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:38 pm

1handclapping wrote:Does one really make up a religion ? People always use to wonder about it. Visit the Pantheon in Rome (Italy ) There is a masterpiece in architexture dedicated to non-descript religion.. "To all the Gods"

Rather than being the answer to all questions, maybe religion is the big question within ...

I dont think non-descript is a good way to think of it, although that is what it has become. It was built by pre-christian Rome. They had a pantheon similar to that a of the Greeks. The statement "To all the Gods' Refers to Mars, Jupiter, Venus, etc...
During the time the Church took power they ripped the statues of the old Roman gods out and destroyed them. Sad really, if they could build something like the Pantheon just imagine how wonderful the statues must have been.
Fergus: The Pirate King of the Gold Coast

Everyone makes sacrifices, mine just happen to be to the Dark Lord of the Underworld.
-Random T-Shirt
PirateKingOfTheGoldCoast

Postby 1handclapping on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:32 am

Sir Francis : No thanks , I'm too worldly...
Kia ago, tia pago
1handclapping

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:18 pm

Understood.

In answer to your question I do believe that all religions are the invention of human beings.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby KingLackLuster on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:41 pm

Pastafarianism was told by a human. so in effect, a human creation. But it is Bobby
No Soup for You!

Haha... I'm Back.
:shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish:
dance my minions
KingLackLuster
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:Understood.

In answer to your question I do believe that all religions are the invention of human beings.

AFAIK, only humans have religions, so they're necessarily invented by human beings. Where the inspiration comes from is entirely another matter...
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Griffin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:[AFAIK, only humans have religions, so they're necessarily invented by human beings. Where the inspiration comes from is entirely another matter...

There's lots of research going on into our experience of spiritual ideas. See here for example. Mania and psychosis can often centre around an increase in religious ideas (those that don't believe they are Napolean). Still won't tell us where it comes from though !!!
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Mero would find that article interesting. It also metions something that I've been mulling over.... if there is physiological evidence that the brain is structured to allow religious experiences, maybe those brain structures could be stimulated by a god to allow communication.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Mon May 01, 2006 4:29 am

Yes that's all very well, but what did you think of the book?

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Nitpicking

:worship: + :fsm_float: = :mrgreen:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby SpisBoy on Mon May 01, 2006 4:52 pm

I thought it was entertaining and satirical. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. Definitely better than the ID literature.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Arrrgh!" -Piraticus 13:7

http://home.earthlink.net/~meximiliano/
SpisBoy
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby 1handclapping on Thu May 04, 2006 10:52 am

Nono nonno ne, nein, non.. absolutely false,

all creatures big and small have a religion
it has not being invented by man it is Intelligently designed by the flying spaghetti monster..

to doubt it is punishable by death through excessive spaghetti eating

(and since I m on a diet please spare me not entirely true believer)
Kia ago, tia pago
1handclapping

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu May 04, 2006 2:21 pm

I beg to differ. God invents him/herself, man will or won't believe, but an organization and ritualization of a belief in God ( in other words: religion) would be man's work.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby teripie on Thu May 04, 2006 2:52 pm

In 1998 Time magazine had a fascinating article about the "god gene." Unfortunately the article is no longer accessible except to subscribers. If you Google the phrase you'll come up with a lot of good articles concerning the subject, though none as concise as the Time article, IMO.
There has been scientific connection with perceived spirituality linked to a particular portion of the brain. When that section is stimulated a sense of mental pleasure results, likened to the state of Nirvana Buddhist monks experience. It is the same section of the brain that is stimulated when a person is say, surrounded by a crowd of like minded people, such as at a rock concert, political rally, or Sunday revival.
It all makes sense to me.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Next

Return to Gospel of FSM Book Discussion