US envoy recalls 'monster' Milosevic

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Postby Riki on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 am

Current day statistics tell us that there are more psychologically sick people than healthy ones. If you take a sampling of individuals in any given field, you are likely to find that a significant number of them display pathological symptoms to one extent or another.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/News/Columni ... 94865.html
Riki
Ziti Zealot

Postby lolomarseille on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 am

Auntie;
saying that balkanics are a bunch of barbars killing themselves since ice age, that is really flammatory, and it's pure racism(and false btw)
i took the northern ireland example, i don't see anything irrespectfull or rude in my previous post; i point that generalisation like that are level zero of thinking
web stailey
about the pale; post the link denying the existence of Vlad Tepes in 15th century, and better the inexistence of chinese empire:-)) i fear that you readed witch tale
(why do i feel the pale topic funnier than the yugoslavian nightmare???)

r u soon
la religion c'est quand le premier hypocrite a rencontré le premier imbécile

Voltaire
lolomarseille
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Web Stailey on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm

lolomarseille wrote:Auntie;
saying that balkanics are a bunch of barbars killing themselves since ice age, that is really flammatory, and it's pure racism(and false btw)
i took the northern ireland example, i don't see anything irrespectfull or rude in my previous post; i point that generalisation like that are level zero of thinking
web stailey
about the pale; post the link denying the existence of Vlad Tepes in 15th century, and better the inexistence of chinese empire:-)) i fear that you readed witch tale
(why do i feel the pale topic funnier than the yugoslavian nightmare???)

r u soon

I read it in a book about the region, saying that the impalement of men in the Balkans started in the 14th Century. The man would be sentenced to death (sorry if I'm not supposed to be posting this). Special "priests" would slice open the rectal cavity to make it wider and easier to move a steak through. The steak would then be tapped through the rectal cavity, sliding past all the vital organs, and coming out between the shoulder and neck. The process would take up to five hours to make sure that the person wasn't killed because the steak went through a vital organ. The process was called impalement (when translated into English), and was thus the basis for the word "impale". The man would then be hung over the streets at an angle so the person wouldn't slide down the steak, and passers-by would be encouraged to taunt the person and throw objects at him. The person often lived up to a week on the steak. It's a rather disgusting process, but it was their "death-penalty".

I should also note that the book had references to over 30 other books on the Balkans.
Web Stailey
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby lolomarseille on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:38 am

well, it's funny coz pale was in confucius laws 2000 years ago...Attila used impale too..
a lot of phantasm about the balkans, you know
it's convenient they're closer enough for being the mirror of our own barbary...
anyway, the best one(among impale lovers) was Vlad tepes, prince of valachia, more known as vlad drakul, one of the 2 real ancestors of dracula
he was a good christian
la religion c'est quand le premier hypocrite a rencontré le premier imbécile

Voltaire
lolomarseille
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Web Stailey on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:11 pm

They used impaling, no doubt, but what they called it didn't translate into the current use of the word. The current use of the word is directly resulted from the Balkans.

I think, however, you've taken offense when no offense was offered. I'm not criticizing the Balkans. I've not criticized the Balkans. I don't think anyone here has, yet there seems to be the mis-conception that someone has. Remember that anything can be taken as offensive by someone on the defensive. We must be calm when discussing such matters, or the discussion can easily get out of hand.
Web Stailey
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Web Stailey on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:39 pm

I decided to go ahead and do some more research on the matter, and found the the word's origins have been traced to the Danube River near the mouth at the Black Sea, but is evidenced throughout the Ancient Persia Empire through Egypt, Israel, Iraq, and Iran, from nearly 3,000 years ago. Now, the Balkans include the region of the Danube River where the river meets the Black Sea. Thus, the word would originate from the Balkans. When I said 14th Century, I should have also said "B. C." so as to prevent any confusion. This places it over 1000 years before Confucius.
Web Stailey
Fusilli Fuselier

Previous

Return to Locked Posts