Regarding the word association game

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Perhaps we feel that the game would be no fun if everyone just posted one word over and over. And perhaps we feel that our interpretation of the rules is the correct interpretation. And perhaps you're just having a hissy fit by complaining so much about it instead of saying "Oops, sorry."
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ken worley on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeah, posting the same thing over and over is lame.

It is funny for, like a couple times, "look at me, i'm irreverant", but then it gets old and everyone hates you.

tell him, rowan....
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Perhaps we feel that the game would be no fun if everyone just posted one word over and over. And perhaps we feel that our interpretation of the rules is the correct interpretation. And perhaps you're just having a hissy fit by complaining so much about it instead of saying "Oops, sorry."

I wont say sorry because I followed the rule, it was you and your girlfriend rain that started with the knicker twisting....

So, now it's down to insults?

Very mature, booby-boy.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:50 pm

ken worley wrote:Yeah, posting the same thing over and over is lame.

It is funny for, like a couple times, "look at me, i'm irreverant", but then it gets old and everyone hates you.

tell him, rowan....

If it were being posted in the Spam thread, I would have no problem with it.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:
ken worley wrote:Yeah, posting the same thing over and over is lame.

tell him, rowan....

If it were being posted in the Spam thread, I would have no problem with it.

Of course you wouldn't.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:09 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Quick English lesson.

"Post the first word that comes to mind, in response to the previous word posted."

Note that the comma separates two distinct phrases. This sentence could also be read as: "In response to the previous word posted, post the first word that comes to mind."

However, there is no comma in the actual rule. Therefore, what it really means is that you are supposed to post the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word posted.

This was a piss weak attempt?

I have yet to see a news report that says "America yells "Boobs" in response to terrorism"

Or "UN declares "Boobs" in reponse to the US's attack on Iraqi civilians"

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:02 pm

IT IS NOT THE FIRST WORD THAT COMES TO MIND.

IT IS THE FIRST WORD THAT COMES TO MIND IN RESPONSE TO THE PREVIOUS WORD.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:20 pm

No. Therefore it is a word. It is an un-response to my word.

You keep missing the fact that it is the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby ken worley on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:43 pm

________________________Image____________________
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:26 pm

ken worley wrote:________________________Image____________________

QFT.

This guy is starting to bring back memories of one "elijah"...
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:46 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
This guy is starting to bring back memories of one "elijah"...

Please rest assured that I am not Elijah.

No, I know you aren't Elijah.

You just remind me of him.

as established earlier using dictionary.com a response is:

an answer or reply, as in words or in some action

so unless you are just making words up, then I did respond. Please show me in a dictionary where it says:

an answer or reply, as in words or in some action, BUT the answer has to be according to the question or it isnt a response at all

The rules of the game say that the word must be in response to the previous word, not that you have to respond.

The word itself has to be in response to the previous word.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Response, in this case, is closer to the medical/scientific use of the word, specifically the Stimulus/Response idea. Add to that the title of the thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_association

http://libres.curtin.edu.au/libres14n2/ ... _final.htm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:03 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Response, in this case, is closer to the medical/scientific use of the word, specifically the Stimulus/Response idea. Add to that the title of the thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_association

http://libres.curtin.edu.au/libres14n2/ ... _final.htm

The OP makes no such clause...he says to wrie the first word that comes into your mind.

HE SAYS TO WRITE THE FIRST WORD THAT COMES TO YOUR MIND IN RESPONSE TO THE PREVIOUS WORD.

HE DOES NOT SAY TO RESPOND TO THE PREVIOUS POST WITH THE FIRST WRD THAT COMES INTO YOUR MIND FOR NO APPARENT REASON.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rainswept on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:04 pm

The word association game has followed accepted patterns and rules for 500+ pages, and the people who post in it quite enjoy it.

Games are intended to be played by the rules and in the spirit of the rules if there is some point of conflict that is questioned. Rev, myself, and I imagine most others who have been playing the game for quite a while now, wouldn't enjoy responding to the same word as often as you post. That's not in the spirit of the game, it's something else entirely.

This is a free forum, feel free to start your own thread about boob-word association, perhaps people will like that game as well. Hell, start a boob blog and let us know all the things in you can think of that make you think of boobs. Start a debate about whether the FSM is actually female and has boobs under the noodly appendages (or if those meatballs are meatboobs) At the same time feel free to join in the normal word association game if you'd like to play it the way we play it. We want to encourage everyone to enjoy the forum as much as possible, but without impeding the fun of the others who are playing.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Yup. What he said.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes