Regarding the word association game

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Regarding the word association game

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:The rule is as follows:

Post the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word posted.

I was told that I would be ignored in this game if I continued to follow this rule...why is that?

Shouldnt the rule be changed if you dont actually want the first word that pops into my head?


You kept posting "boobs" as a response to every word.

It's not the first thing that came to mind when you read the previous word, it's just what you always seem to be thinking about.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Could it possibly be the fact that every time you have posted in that thread, your word was "boobs" regardless of the word before it?

Birthday suit --> Boobs (okay, this one makes sense)
Loch Ness --> Boobs (nope, don't see it)
Engine --> Boobs (see above)
Engineer --> Boobs (see above again)
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 pm

It's not. But if the first word that comes into your mind when you hear the word "engine" is "boobs", then please just refrain from posting.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:02 pm

You should have bolded the part that says "in response to the previous word."

That's the part that I feel you aren't following.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:09 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:It's not. But if the first word that comes into your mind when you hear the word "engine" is "boobs", then please just refrain from posting.


SO you control who can and cant post and in which threads then?


Nope. I only asked you to "please just refrain from posting."

If you continue to post, it's obvious you will just be ignored, and, it is slightly annoying.

The logical conclusion would be to either post the first word that comes to mind other than "boobs", or to not post at all.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:10 pm

Quick English lesson.

"Post the first word that comes to mind, in response to the previous word posted."

Note that the comma separates two distinct phrases. This sentence could also be read as: "In response to the previous word posted, post the first word that comes to mind."

However, there is no comma in the actual rule. Therefore, what it really means is that you are supposed to post the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word posted.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:19 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:It's not. But if the first word that comes into your mind when you hear the word "engine" is "boobs", then please just refrain from posting.


SO you control who can and cant post and in which threads then?


Nope. I only asked you to "please just refrain from posting."

If you continue to post, it's obvious you will just be ignored, and, it is slightly annoying.

The logical conclusion would be to either post the first word that comes to mind other than "boobs", or to not post at all.


Then it wouldnt be poting the first word that comes to my mind would it....that would be breaking the rule.


They really are more like guidelines. Often, the first word that comes to mind is inappropriate, or silly, so we use a different word.

In your case, you have a preoccupation with mammary glands. Although I can't see into your mind, and this is only a hypothesis, I think that if "engine" brought to mind "boobs", you were already thinking of boobs before you read the word.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:21 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Quick English lesson.

"Post the first word that comes to mind, in response to the previous word posted."

Note that the comma separates two distinct phrases. This sentence could also be read as: "In response to the previous word posted, post the first word that comes to mind."

However, there is no comma in the actual rule. Therefore, what it really means is that you are supposed to post the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word posted.


So if I respond with boobs is it not a response?

RESPONSE:

–noun 1. an answer or reply, as in words or in some action.


he means that the word has to be in response to the other word. The thought has to be provoked by the first word.

If you could provide a legitimate and direct association between "boobs" and "engine", then there would be no problem.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:24 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Quick English lesson.

"Post the first word that comes to mind, in response to the previous word posted."

Note that the comma separates two distinct phrases. This sentence could also be read as: "In response to the previous word posted, post the first word that comes to mind."

However, there is no comma in the actual rule. Therefore, what it really means is that you are supposed to post the first word that comes to mind in response to the previous word posted.


So if I respond with boobs is it not a response?

RESPONSE:

–noun 1. an answer or reply, as in words or in some action.


"In response to" generally means that there is a connection between the cause and effect.

A man points a gun at me. In response to that I can raise my hands in the air, run away, hand over my money, point a gun right back at him, etc. These are all responses to his action.

If a man points a gun at me and I shout out "BOOBS!" it is hard to understand how that was in response to his pointing the gun at me.

So you are supposed to post the first word that comes to mind as a cause of being presented with the first word.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:26 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:[


Then you could have said "robo boobs".

Like I said, the word "word" in the OP is more like a guidline.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:32 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:So are you trying to tell me that if you asked the question "In which year the first plastic boob came out?" and I said "The fuzzy black duck"

Is the fuzzy black duck a response or not?

The dictionary says:
an answer or reply, as in words or in some action


I am strugglin to find where it says:

Its generally meant to mean blah, blah, blah, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish....and all that other rot you were saying.


Yes, it is a response.

But, the person who you are responding to will either ignore you, or stare at you incredulously and ask for a proper response.

Which is what Rainswept and Rev. said they would do.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:34 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou wrote:
I Love Boobs wrote:
Actually it made me think of robo boobs.


Then you could have said "robo boobs".

Like I said, the word "word" in the OP is more like a guidline.

But it says word and not words.


Who cares? Almost all of us have used a phrase rather than a word, because the phrase came to mind as a single unit, rather than two or three individual words.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 pm

I Love Boobs wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
I Love Boobs wrote:So are you trying to tell me that if you asked the question "In which year the first plastic boob came out?" and I said "The fuzzy black duck"

Is the fuzzy black duck a response or not?

The dictionary says:
an answer or reply, as in words or in some action


I am strugglin to find where it says:

Its generally meant to mean blah, blah, blah, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish....and all that other rot you were saying.


Yes, it is a response.

But, the person who you are responding to will either ignore you, or stare at you incredulously and ask for a proper response.

Which is what Rainswept and Rev. said they would do.


So I havent broken the rule then I responded with the first word that came to mind....so why ignore me.

I think its just because they got their knickers in a twist and are having a wet blouse style cry....they should just fess up and i may choose my second word that comes to mind.


The word is said in response to the word bfeore it, but it didn't come to mind in response to the word before it.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Perhaps we feel that the game would be no fun if everyone just posted one word over and over. And perhaps we feel that our interpretation of the rules is the correct interpretation. And perhaps you're just having a hissy fit by complaining so much about it instead of saying "Oops, sorry."
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby ken worley on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeah, posting the same thing over and over is lame.

It is funny for, like a couple times, "look at me, i'm irreverant", but then it gets old and everyone hates you.


tell him, rowan....
Image
User avatar
ken worley
King of the Pervs
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Fortress of Squalitude

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron