Quiz time

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Quiz time

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 am

Don't know how long this will last, but here goes...

Ask a trivia question of any general knowledge subject and if you get it right you get to ask a question. If noone gets it right then you get to ask another question, unless of course you don't respond after 5 attempted answers (or thereabouts), then anyone can ask a question, whereupon the same rules apply. Please make sure you've verified the answer to your question, meaning: The answer you think is right is actually right. Wikipedia is a good source of verification.

Edit: Don't ask a question if it isn't your turn (see above for a definition of your turn). It not only confuses but annoys the rest of us when we have to try and figure out which question an answer goes with.

Ok here's the first question:

What was the first electronic musical instrument? (hint: Beach Boys)
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby ken worley on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:43 am

theremin

Name the only major rock band to never have a bass player in their lineup.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:50 am

Correctamundo!

Don't know the answer to that one. Jeff Beck, Tony Hymas & Terry Bozzio never had a bass, but together they don't really class as a major band.

Would I sound lame if I tried ZZ Top?
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby ken worley on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am

I wouldn't go that far, but you might insult Dusty Hill....Image
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Duke on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Keane! They're major to me.

But then again, most major rock bands are pretty awful.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ken worley on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm

nope...

By major, I would say the band's music would be pretty much identifiable by 2/3 or more of english-speaking peoples.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Duke on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Which means I probably dislike them so much that I pretend never to have heard of them just for insult's sake.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jean Bart on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:51 pm

I thought The Doors played without bass, that job being done on keyboard. Not sure about those rock things...
:?
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby ken worley on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

That is the correct answer...THe Doors never had a bass player in their lineup.
Probably why they are my least favorite of all classic rock megabands.

I likes the drum/bass groove...viva zeppelin!!!
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Duke on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:40 pm

ken worley wrote:That is the correct answer...THe Doors never had a bass player in their lineup.
Probably why they are my least favorite of all classic rock megabands.

I likes the drum/bass groove...viva zeppelin!!!

The Doors... The Doors.... Nope, never heard of them.

Wait, are they part of the Police Car Doors?

Okay, it's Jean Bart's turn to ask a question.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jean Bart on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:38 pm

OK, I'm back. Now, most of the English speaking people here will know the answer, but still:

Why is bureaucracy referred to as "red tape"?

I hope this isn't toooo easy, otherwise I have to dream up another one. :?
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:35 pm

Isn't it because of the red tape used to bind government files?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jean Bart on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Pretty close: it goes back to the 17th century in England, where the admistriation did this. Nowadays only barristers' briefs are bound that way, actually in pink ribbon, according to wikipedia.
I still prefer the Civil War veterans' version, but that's not the oldest, so Duke, you're on!
:fsm_yarr:
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Okay! Here's any easy one to start us off: What's the name of the B-29 that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima? Bonus question: What is the name of the bomb?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jean Bart on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Hey, Enola Gay was the name of the plane, but I can't remember the bomb's nickname: something like Fat Boy"? I hope not: I can't think of a new question!
:cry:
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes