Joe Republican (this is awsome, really, read it)

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Aeger on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Ghar, that be humorous.
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:21 am

Wow all for me huh?

So wheres the joke where the liberal see's fit to call an American soldier a criminal and ends up with a hand upside the head? That ones my favorite!
MPTrooper

Postby Aeger on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Clearly that's a reference that's over my head. Do post.

*Hangs his head in shame*
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:30 pm

LAz 2.0 wrote:... it's basically about someone being in a dark cave and comparing that to being not known, and when you try to show the person the truth/bring him out into the light he will do everything in his ability to not let that happen because he thinks you're wrong and thinks he's right.

It's just philosophy, no joke. :(

Oh, I see!

So you are saying that:
There are known knowns: those things that we know that we know, and
known unknowns: those things that we know that we do not know.
And also there are unknown unknowns: those things that we do not know that we do not know.

What do you think MPT? Sound like anyone you know? :roll:

Cardinal Queequeg
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Like my hero and war mentor. One day I'll grow up to be just like em
MPTrooper

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:40 pm

What about unknown knowns? Those things that we do not know that we know?

St John the Blasphemist
Saint Truth, Falsity, & Meaninglessness
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby MPTrooper on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 pm

Just like that! Except for the part where they didn't.
MPTrooper

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:03 am

This is a common argument.

Like the bombing of the hospital in Grenada, during the invasion.

Any comment on that?

Cardinal Queequeg
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 am

Cardinal Queequeg wrote:
LAz 2.0 wrote:... it's basically about someone being in a dark cave and comparing that to being not known, and when you try to show the person the truth/bring him out into the light he will do everything in his ability to not let that happen because he thinks you're wrong and thinks he's right.

It's just philosophy, no joke. :(

Oh, I see!

So you are saying that:
There are known knowns: those things that we know that we know, and
known unknowns: those things that we know that we do not know.
And also there are unknown unknowns: those things that we do not know that we do not know.

What do you think MPT? Sound like anyone you know? :roll:

Cardinal Queequeg

Hey, I had to come back and explain that one to y'all... 8)
:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:46 am

Cardinal Queequeg wrote:This is a common argument.

Like the bombing of the hospital in Grenada, during the invasion.

Any comment on that?

Cardinal Queequeg
No comment on Grenada.... however....

In times of war, taking out the hospitals does curtail the enemy's ability to heal themselves, so it would be a valid objective in my view.

MP, correct me if I am wrong here, but is not the purpose of war to kill people and break things? More to the point, to kill the enemy and break their things before they do it to you?

Dimplomacy is not for soldiers anymore than combat is for ambassadors.

So, during a war, blowing up hospitals, factories, Kmarts, railyards, any and everything that the enemy has access to would be a good thing if it hurt the enemy's ability to make war against me.
edited to correct horrible spelling error
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby KidDirty on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:33 am

I know nothing about the Grenada incident, I am only responding to the generality of PP's statements.

Pastafarian Pirate wrote:In times of war, taking out the hospitals does curtail the enemie's ability to heal themselves, so it would be a valid objective in my view.

Except that (in my understanding) there is a difference between civilian and military hospitals, and these are ussually separate.

Not to mention that (in my understanding) the former, is protected by the Geneva convention (not that matters much around here anymore).

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/92.htm wrote:
PART II

GENERAL PROTECTION OF POPULATIONS

AGAINST CERTAIN CONSEQUENCES OF WAR

Article 14

In time of peace, the High Contracting Parties and, after the outbreak of hostilities, the Parties thereto, may establish in their own territory and, if the need arises, in occupied areas, hospital and safety zones and localities so organized as to protect from the effects of war, wounded, sick and aged persons, children under fifteen, expectant mothers and mothers of children under seven.

Article 18

Civilian hospitals organized to give care to the wounded and sick, the infirm and maternity cases, may in no circumstances be the object of attack, but shall at all times be respected and protected by the Parties to the conflict.

Article 19

The protection to which civilian hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used to commit, outside their humanitarian duties, acts harmful to the enemy. Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit, and after such warning has remained unheeded.

The fact that sick or wounded members of the armed forces are nursed in these hospitals, or the presence of small arms and ammunition taken from such combatants which have not yet been handed to the proper service, shall not be considered to be acts harmful to the enemy.

Pastafarian Pirate wrote:So, during a war, blowing up hospitals, factories, Kmarts, railyards, any and everything that the enemy has access to would be a good thing if it hurt the enemie's ability to make war against me.

No, here in the civilized world (yes I am speaking up for the U.S. military) we take civilian cassualties into consideration.
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:50 am

Eh... who gets to Geneva these days anyhow? War is not about fighting fair. It is about winning.
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby KidDirty on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:30 am

No, the only credit I do give the U.S. military these days is in their efforts to not take civilian cassualties when bombing the shit out of something and we have become quite good at it!

There was a piece on NPR's This American Life, about a man who worked for the defense department, who was involved in strategicly placing rockets onto targets in such a way as to limit civilian casualties. One of these was a military instalation right next to a civilian hospital. The story details his efforts to plan the attack in such a way that the blast would not hurt the hospital. He eventually got to go to Iraq and see the fruits of his labor, only a few windows in the hospital got blown out.

No, here in America, war is not just about winning. I don't agree with much of what our millitary has done recently, but don't assert that we should not give a damn about such things. Again, you sure as hell don't speak for America!
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby SC-Pastafarian on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 pm

Aeger wrote:Clearly that's a reference that's over my head. Do post.

*Hangs his head in shame*

Its from a thread in the politics section.

ANYWHO... back to the original post:

Cute. :wink: Although there are some that could be argued about if it was ONLY liberals who fought for it. I think I'll send this to my republican friend who's name is, ironically, Joe. He enjoys sending me all of his republican propoganda, I think its payback time. :wink:
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-Konrad Adenauer
SC-Pastafarian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Location: Holding an empty mug to the mouth of a beer volcano.

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:45 pm

I have no problem with making all efforts in limiting the number of civilian casualties, but when you deliberately put your military installations next to civilian ones, well, that was your own dumb planning, or an evil attempt to exploit the GC, in either case, you lose.
I speak for all of America except Kid (at the time of this publishing, complete exceptions list pending).
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes