Diablo II LOD

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Diablo II LOD

Postby LibraLabRat on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:06 pm

My wife and I finally have internet. ANd a so many viruses that we had to uninstall and reinstall a lot of software. We accidently uninstalled our Diablo II, and both lost all of our characters. To make matters worse, I managed to lose ONLY the little black disk cover that has my LOD cd key on it.

So, can someone help me out with an LOD cd key? My only other options are buying a new expansion disc, and I really dont wanna do that.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Re: Diablo II LOD

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:55 am

LibraLabRat wrote:My wife and I finally have internet. ANd a so many viruses that we had to uninstall and reinstall a lot of software. We accidently uninstalled our Diablo II, and both lost all of our characters. To make matters worse, I managed to lose ONLY the little black disk cover that has my LOD cd key on it.

So, can someone help me out with an LOD cd key? My only other options are buying a new expansion disc, and I really dont wanna do that.

Check your PM's
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby LibraLabRat on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:52 pm

I wonder if computer piracy will also help counteract global warming? :fsm_yarr:
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:23 pm

will you be on the internet? all my characters are long dead from unuse, but we could create a two (three?) person 'net group...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Captain Noobhead on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Lost all your characters when uninstalled? It usually doesn't do that unless you reset your computer to factory standards. Try checking in the remnants of the Blizzard folder and hopefully they will still be there.
Captain Noobhead
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby LibraLabRat on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I found the mpq files, but I cannot seem to get the game to recognize the fact that they are there. what folder should I move the character files to? However, when we uninstalled the game, we both lost our characters, and I checked the diablo files and nada turned up.

But if you are online playing look for libralabrat, or my wife who goes by the name DBTAT (I have no idea what that stands for, lol)
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:54 am

the game usually reads Window's registry for the save file location.

If the registry entry is missing (as is the case w/my pc currently, I merely copied the folder over when I re-worked my PC. D2 does not care if it's installed or not, so long as all it's files are in child-directories of the parent/main directory.

For example, the save files are always here:

C:\...\Diablo II\Save

The "..." path represents where you installed/copied the main folder. The main folder (on my PC) is "Diablo II". On my PC, the "..." is "Games" thus, my complete path is:

"C:\Games\Diablo II\Save"

The default path, I think, is "C:\Program Files\Blizzard\Diablo II\Save" or somesuch.

I NEVER permit games to be installed in "Program Files" as this only clutters that too-full directory. I ALWAYS modify the install (custom install) with the "Games" folder.*

Most games do not care if they are "installed" or not - simply pointing to the main .EXE file with a manual shortcut is sufficient.

Diablo II is one such. Just starting the game will create the minimum registry entries, apparently.

They are

\My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II

Under THAT, you'll find a list that D2 uses for housekeeping. The one of interest is:

\My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\Save Path

This is the one to look at, to determine where D2 thinks your characters should be located. Either copy them there (best) or modify the registry entry to point to where they are actually located.

Good luck!

* And thus why I keep all my games under the folder "Games". That folder is "sacred" and gets preserved/copied/moved with each re-iteration of Windoze, with each rebuild/upgrade of the PC. Most games haven't been "officially installed" in at least 4 or 5 upgrade/rebuild/re-install-windoze cycles--probably longer than that. And they do not seem to care, either.

This ALSO preserves my personal game-settings, and such. (and not to mention my game-saves, notes, tools, utilities, characters, key-mappings, etc, etc, etc ... :D )
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby LibraLabRat on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:43 am

Great! I will get right on that when I get off of work. My wife will probably spend the day relaxing and leveling up her amazon...

YOu know, I find it funny how people tend to stick to their favorite character classes..For instance, I like Paladins, my second choice is Druids, and my third is Amazons....

MY wife simply will not play with anyone but an Amazon. OF course, she has been called that most of her life...not many statuesque six foot one red heads in this part of the world.....
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:30 pm

I've played'em all.

I tend to play classes that have mass-kill capabilities (at some point), and most of the mele-types lack that. At best, 5 critters per click for many.

As J.E. Pournelle once coined, "It's just a click-fest". :mrgreen:

On the gripping hand*, I've played D2 more than any other PC game, ever...

I've completed v1.10 with at least 1 of each character class - that'd be druid, paladin, amazon, sorceress, barbarian, necromancer AND assasian.

I've done this more than once for the classes I really like.

But ALL of this is for single player. For some reason, I do not like the on-line aspects of the game, as I ran into too many folk that want to join your party, to back-stab you later.

I loathe any sort of back-stabbing or disloyality to your adventuring party - tantamount to "ultimate evil".

One too many of those, and I was done with the on-line gaming.

Add into the mix, that I never could seem to get a non-lag connection, even with 9megs of high-speed cable internet .... and I've been killed many times by a "lag induced error" ... <bleah>

I've MORE than got my money's worth, though: out of the original Diablo, out of Hellfire (the "non-official" official extension of D1). Out of the original Diablo II. Out of the official extension, Lord of Darkness.

One thing that Blizzard did, was pretty much re-vamp the game balance with the release of update version 1.10. Update version 1.11 just fine-tuned v1.10, but those two really made it nearly a Whole New Experience.

There are rumors of a D3, but I can never find any real evidence to support them .... *sigh*

* again, credit to Pournelle for the analogy
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby LibraLabRat on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:59 pm

I was thoroughly addicted to D1 (and sincerely wish they would create Arkane's Valor for D2).

I have found that I have few problems with online play. When nimrods come into my games asking for free stuff, I give them the GO HOSTILE and spank em....

I dont mind scads of people just loafing around in my games to boost the experience gained, as long as they follow my rules: Dont touch my gems, dont touch my runes, dont touch my stamina potions, and leave the green stuff to me....I like completeing set items. I also like giving good natured noobz complete sets as a gift to get them going.

As far as lag goes, well, it happens. I have been killed due to lag induced errors as well, but the swashbuckling style I tend to play leads me to get killed a lot anyway.

As far as multi kills with melee chars....That is why I tend to build up auradins and hammerdins....lots a kill, little clicking.
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:25 pm

LLR, which realm are you in? US East or US West? I could start in either, but if I start in the wrong one...

I like online play, mostly because I don't have fun if its just by myself. I do play by myself sometimes, but I like to have the possibility of friends. if not, I can just set max players to 1 or 2 and make the password some kind of inside joke.

I'll usually play druid, and if I start up again, it'll be with a Druid. I'll also play necros because thats what my first character was, and I like amazons. I"m okay with barbs but don't reallly enjoy playing them, and I don't like paladins, and suck at sorceress'. decent at assassins, but again, don't really enjoy playing them.

I mean, seriously, druids are the complete package! summons, auras, magic, mellee, long range, short range, even half the magic does physical damage instead of an actual magic damage so it still hurts magic resistant foes.

no traps though. bah.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:42 pm

I might be talked into joining, even though I only have dial-up. My favorites are Sorceress and Barbarian, though I would be willing to play any class.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:47 pm

I've heard that paladins and druids make kickass teams, who liked playing the pally? he could do that, then we could have a sorc for all out magic. then the melee character with aura, and then I could do werewolf-summon.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 am

I suppose, if pinned down, I'd have to say a Bowazon is my favorite, followed by a Cold-sorceress. Freezeresses?

I really like the Amazon class, and have even played a Tankazon all the way through (mele only, max out defense, valkeries, etc. ZERO bow skills, ZERO spear skills.)

Currently, I'm playing a "be all the werewolf you can be" and he didn't have ANY spells that were not directly werewolf-related until about 25'th level. Now he has a decent following of critters .... (30-something, in act 5 of normal - just killed Nelathock).

I usually play single-player on "/players 3" at least - that is, I set the players-level to 3 players, and play it with a single character only. Harder, yes - but oh, the rewards!
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby LibraLabRat on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:25 am

I play in US East. JUst this morning I found all my old chars in the save files (thanks guys) and am getting ready to roll.
As soon as I get my laptop up and running online, my wife and I will be ready to go and we can all play pastawar!

PS I got the paladin covered.
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes