Biblical Morality

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Biblical Morality

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:29 am

So, theres a new Failblog up showing a news report about a guy who got arrested trying to sell his daughter for beer and meat. It got me thinking about all the conversations I've had with people about how you if you actually followed the bible you'd be considered the worst monster on earth for doing 1/2 of the stuff it says is fine. I thought we needed a thread for this. I'll start us off!

1 Samuel 18:27 wrote: David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king's son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife.

just to confirm this is OK,
1 Samuel 18:14 wrote:And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the LORD was with him.

Next time you need a wife, remember you have the option of buying her with the foreskins of 200 slain enemies.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: Biblical Morality

Postby Iamtoo on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 am

American morality:
Plastic Surgery in a Developing Teen
One of the concerns about plastic surgery on adolescents is that their bodies are still maturing. In addition to development that may occur in the late teens, growth charts indicate that the average girl gains weight between the ages of 18 and 21, and that is likely to change her desire or need for breast augmentation as well as liposuction. There are no epidemiological studies or clinical trials on the safety and long-term risks of these procedures for adolescents. Although the FDA approved saline breast implants for women ages 18 and older [3], it is legal for physicians to perform breast augmentation for anyone under 18 as an “off-label” use, and the number of teens 18 and younger undergoing breast augmentation tripled from 2002 to 2003. It was not until December 2004 that the American Society of Plastic Surgeons stated an official position against breast augmentation for patients under 18.

Sure, they prefer not to do it anymore, but it's not illegal. I believe killing 200 men and cutting of their foreskins would be considered a (war) crime. Unless you cut of the foreskins of 200 men when they are still alive. Then it would be plastic surgery.
Humans are strange beings, you can catch monkeys with them.
Iamtoo
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 am

But when Muslim boys are circumcised they get a free hat.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Iamtoo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry for derailing your thread Rain. This citation may put it back on track (if the focus doesn't shift to the source).

http://revcom.us/a/1240/bamorality.htm cites the violence in Isaiah as an example of biblical morality.
In describing how Babylon will be punished, Isaiah conveys the message of "The Lord": he will attack Babylon and bring it to ruin, leaving nothing, no survivors. Not even children will be spared: babies will be battered to death and the women will be raped before they are slaughtered (Isaiah, chapters 13 and 14). And again, toward the end of this book, "The Lord" proclaims, through Isaiah, that He will make Israel's oppressors kill each other, they will be drunk with murder and rage, so that all mankind will know that He is Lord that He is Israel's powerful god (Isaiah 49:25-26).
Humans are strange beings, you can catch monkeys with them.
Iamtoo
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes