Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Word of the Day

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 am

pledge of allegiance (in⋅doc⋅tri⋅na⋅tion) n

An oath of fealty to the government, reminiscent of the fealty oaths of serfs and vassals to their lords.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby PKMKII on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:36 am

brigand
–noun
a bandit, esp. one of a band of robbers in mountain or forest regions.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Pythonist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 am

Some Musical definitions: (sorry if some of these are a little too obscure)

Crescendo - a reminder that you are already playing too loud

coloratura soprano: a singer who has great trouble finding the proper note, but who has a wild time hunting for it

glissando: a technique adopted by string players for difficult runs.

senza sordino: a term used to remind the player that he forgot to put his mute on a few measures back

half step: the pace used by a cellist when carrying his instrument.

String Quartet - A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist and a person who hates violinists all getting together to bitch about composers

risoluto: indicates to orchestras that they are to stubbornly maintain the correct tempo no matter what the conductor tries to do
Weird? Of course i'm weird! Life would be much less interesting otherwise. Eccentricity is the way to go.

"We should disguise leopards as foxes to f**k up the gentry" - The People's Manifesto

"Look how fucking awesome my ears are!" -
My friend's suggestion on how to open with a girl after saying i'd play it by ear

"There's no past, there's no future, just one pulsating present...

please leave your message after the tone" - Bill Bailey

Neeeshke boik karoonski bork bork bork bork bork!- The Swedish Chef
Pythonist
Chitarra Captain

Postby S'presso on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:39 am

^ :lol:
I once found a book like that in a used book store, completely about the "definitions" of musical terms.
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Pythonist wrote:Some Musical definitions: (sorry if some of these are a little too obscure)

Crescendo - a reminder that you are already playing too loud

coloratura soprano: a singer who has great trouble finding the proper note, but who has a wild time hunting for it

glissando: a technique adopted by string players for difficult runs.

senza sordino: a term used to remind the player that he forgot to put his mute on a few measures back

half step: the pace used by a cellist when carrying his instrument.

String Quartet - A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist and a person who hates violinists all getting together to bitch about composers

risoluto: indicates to orchestras that they are to stubbornly maintain the correct tempo no matter what the conductor tries to do

I write a weekly newsletter to my chorus, and I think that I'll steal some of these for it, thanks.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:56 am

braggadocio
–noun, plural -ci⋅os.
1. empty boasting; bragging.
2. a boasting person; braggart.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:20 am

bloggadocio
–noun, plural -ci⋅os.
1. empty posting; blogging.
2. a posting person; bloggart.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:39 am

blugits toes show
-noun
1. a blugit wareing sandals so yer kin see thar toes.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 am

Jesus Sandals noun

1. footwear allegedly worn by the son of god
2. you'll need woolly ones because it's winter

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 am

schadenfreude
–noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

PKMKII

Postby bacon on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 am

shade-in-freud
- noun

a coloring book featuring sigmund freud
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:53 pm

PKMKII wrote:schadenfreude
–noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

If it wasn't for schadenfreude, I wouldn't have any freude at all.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 am

machismo
–noun
1. a strong or exaggerated sense of manliness; an assumptive attitude that virility, courage, strength, and entitlement to dominate are attributes or concomitants of masculinity.
2. a strong or exaggerated sense of power or the right to dominate: The military campaign was an exercise in national machismo.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 am

Smack-ismo
-noun, colloq. Scots.
1. The unwarranted and unwelcome swaggering and bragging of an obvious heroin addict encountered on public transport.
2. The unrealistic, self-deluding running commentary of their own life provided by an obvious heroin addict who has just started a prison sentence and is facing a) withdrawal symptoms, or b) unwelcome sexual favours in return for drugs.
Usage:
Obvious Junkie: "Six moon in the jile? Canter, man. Dae it staunin' oan me heid. It'll gie us a chance tae pit some muscle oan, an' aw. Nae :furious: er's gaunny touch me, man, Ah'm a hard ticket, so um ur."
Old Lag #1: "My brain hurts. I may have to stab this guy very, very soon."
Old Lag #2: "Ignore him, it's just smack-ismo."
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Pythonist on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Six moon in the jile? Canter, man. Dae it staunin' oan me heid. It'll gie us a chance tae pit some muscle oan, an' aw. Nae er's gaunny touch me, man, Ah'm a hard ticket, so um ur."

Sounds like "boiling a frog talk to me"
Here's some other humorous Glasgow "colloquialisms" from the back of Scottish author Christopher Brookmyre's book "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil":

old firm - Ingenious idiot-identification scheme which tags halfwits, criminals, thugs and assorted neerdowells voluntarily in blue or green-and-white garments, making them easier for the rest of us to avoid.

jakey - Homeless indigent partial to Buckfast and superlager.

jakey sentence - An undaunting custodial term, like those commonly conferred on the above.

hingmy - All-purpose procrastinatory term for that which one cannot quite think of the name of yet. Equivalent of the French truc.

chook, is it - Expression of profound scepticism

afore - Earlier than the time when.

pish - Urine; urinary function. Also an incident considered sufficiently amusing as to imagine one rendered incontinent by laughter. See also deck, gut, and Morton blowing promotion in 2004.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/extras/short-stories/a-tale-etched-the-glossary/
Weird? Of course i'm weird! Life would be much less interesting otherwise. Eccentricity is the way to go.

"We should disguise leopards as foxes to f**k up the gentry" - The People's Manifesto

"Look how fucking awesome my ears are!" -
My friend's suggestion on how to open with a girl after saying i'd play it by ear

"There's no past, there's no future, just one pulsating present...

please leave your message after the tone" - Bill Bailey

Neeeshke boik karoonski bork bork bork bork bork!- The Swedish Chef
Pythonist
Chitarra Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes