What's Your Desktop Background?

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's Your Desktop Background?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Idea: point camera up at ceiling, hang two flashlights from the ceiling, to be the meatballs. Then dangle a bunch of laser pointers around them, and right before setting it up to capture, give the laser pointers a bit of a push, so they're moving about. It could work! :scientist:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Elvalia on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmm... interesting... The laser pointers would have to be on pretty long strings, to make sure they don't just wobble about in the exact same spot and make bright little blotches... I dunno. I think I'm leaning toward equipping a bunch of people with different sizes of lights and having them point them at the wall and move them around. It's more controlled.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Oh, I know. Make a mobile of laser pointers. Then just set it to start spinning. Perhaps affix it to a fan?

This is getting deliciously complicated. :haha:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm

I've got this really epic green laser pointer that can easily light up an entire room. I tried the same thing with that once, but I couldn't make my camera have a slower shutter speed. It was digital, of course.

EDIT: My background is now a cardboard "Out of Order" sign.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Plumeria blooms on my plant last summer. This plant is a challenge, because it's tropical, has to be brought inside over the winter, and wants to be a tree. I have very little space, so it get cut back pretty often. Even so, it put on quite a show last year.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 pm

We've got loads of frangipani trees growing down here. It's fun to pull off the flowers and twirl them like helicopter blades.

My background is now a picture of America's best presidents in Fantastic Four mode. Abraham Lincoln is Thing. Roosevelt is the fire guy. I think it's Washington as Mr. Fantastic. I do not recognise the other guy.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 am

Here's a picture of Captain Kirk with his Tribbles:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:28 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:We've got loads of frangipani trees growing down here. It's fun to pull off the flowers and twirl them like helicopter blades.

My background is now a picture of America's best presidents in Fantastic Four mode. Abraham Lincoln is Thing. Roosevelt is the fire guy. I think it's Washington as Mr. Fantastic. I do not recognise the other guy.

Post it, and we'll help you out with identification. Which Roosevelt? If it's Teddy, the 4th must be Jefferson (we went to the same college).
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:We've got loads of frangipani trees growing down here. It's fun to pull off the flowers and twirl them like helicopter blades.

Post it, and we'll help you out with identification. Which Roosevelt? If it's Teddy, the 4th must be Jefferson (we went to the same college).

Didn't someone paint a picture on a hill of those four? :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:14 am

How's that?
Wish I could get the pix bigger......
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:54 am

If this is it:
Then it's Teddy Roosevelt as the fire guy, and Jefferson as the invisible guy.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Edd on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:43 am

I must say, I have lost a lot of respect for you guys today. 'Fire guy'? 'Invisible guy'? While The Fantastic Four are not as exciting as other superheroes, they are still iconic figures in comic bookdom. Everyone should be able to name The Human Torch and Invisible Woman if for no reason other than association with Jessica Alba.Image
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm

I can't seem to get it to post, but my desktop is a shot of a sunrise with "In dark ages people are best guided by religion, just as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths far better than a man who can see. When daylight comes however, it is foolish to use blind old men as guides" in yellow letters in the upper right.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Sorry Edd, I was never much for the traditional super hero comics. All my comics are either arty/alternative comics, or they're manga.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

PKMKII wrote: All my comics are hentai.

Fixed.

:grin:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes