1,000 reasons I love prime time cartoons.

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

1,000 reasons I love prime time cartoons.

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Ever since The Simpsons made it O.K. for adults to watch cartoons again, I've been a fan. Let's list some reasons why!

1. The subtle jokes The Simpsons throw at you so fast you miss them if you blink. Like when Homer accuses Ned Flanders of not being over his dead wife, and Ned replies: "Wait just a Maude-gone minute"

Subtle, funny, and slightly horrific.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: 1,000 reasons I love prime time cartoons.

Postby TwistedSister on Mon May 04, 2009 5:49 pm

I like Family Guy. Reasons being, because it's funny, it has a smart ass dog, and Stewy is to die for! Ha.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Edd on Mon May 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Rainswept wrote:Ever since The Simpsons made it O.K. for adults to watch cartoons again, I've been a fan. Let's list some reasons why!

1. The subtle jokes The Simpsons throw at you so fast you miss them if you blink. Like when Homer accuses Ned Flanders of not being over his dead wife, and Ned replies: "Wait just a Maude-gone minute"

Subtle, funny, and slightly horrific.

The Simpsons will often throw several at you on different levels. I've lost track of the number of times I've come across something at a later date which was subtly referenced in an episode and experienced retroactive laughter.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Edd wrote:The Simpsons will often throw several at you on different levels. I've lost track of the number of times I've come across something at a later date which was subtly referenced in an episode and experienced retroactive laughter.

Ha! I've actually paused the show, went to the net and googled a reference so I'd get the joke before lol. Usually it's something grandpa says. My favorite is how Burns answers the phone "hoy hoy" which is how Alexander Graham Bell suggested people do it, instead of "hello".
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby PKMKII on Mon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Post-modern referentialism. Or in non-pretentious speak, pop-culture references. I think in cartoons it's easier to do because you animate whatever you want; you don't need to source the original footage, or get a celebrity to agree to do a guest appearance.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 pm

PKMKII wrote:you don't need to source the original footage, or get a celebrity to agree to do a guest appearance.

True, but it's really funny to say that about the show with a Guinness world record for most guest stars.
Rainswept

Postby PKMKII on Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Well I was referring to prime time cartoons in general. Was the thread intended to only be about the Simpsons?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Ah, true.

Your new Avatar takes on a special meaning when it's right below mine... :whistle:
Rainswept

Postby thelastpirate on Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 pm

My favourite Simpsons episode is still "Homer Badman".
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 04, 2009 9:14 pm

One of my favorite bits from Family guy is when Brian gets Stewie to watch 2Girls 1Cup
:jack:
Rainswept

Postby PantyGnawer on Mon May 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Rainswept wrote:One of my favorite bits from Family guy is when Brian gets Stewie to watch 2Girls 1Cup
:jack:

I just saw that one tonight.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue May 05, 2009 4:20 am

Prime time cartoons, or cartoons in general? Because I like watching anime designed for children, like My Neighbour Totoro regardless of who its aimed at. Then if someone questions my maturity, I ask them if they watch The Simpsons. You could argue that The Simpsons is aimed at a more adult audience, but it's the essence of the cartoon, the expression.
Sort of like desensitising, but in a good way. In many ways, The Simpsons and other prime time cartoons have given adults the ability to return to their youth.

So yes, I live prime time cartoons, and cartoons in general, because it lengthens immaturity, or at least the imagination.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby daftbeaker on Tue May 05, 2009 6:01 am

Just watched all the Futurama films over the last few days. They were sort of alright but the plot felt stretched far too thin and consequently they weren't that funny. With all of them the best bits were right at the start (Deathball, coffee enemas, the Box Network etc.) and they seemed to drag toawrds the end.

Still, it ended nicely.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue May 05, 2009 8:21 am

daftbeaker wrote:Just watched all the Futurama films over the last few days. They were sort of alright but the plot felt stretched far too thin and consequently they weren't that funny. With all of them the best bits were right at the start (Deathball, coffee enemas, the Box Network etc.) and they seemed to drag toawrds the end.

Still, it ended nicely.

I think that is because they were written with the intent that they become a whole new season of Futurama. Fox wouldn't renew them so they had to scramble to loosely tie the episodes into a few different movies that just went straight to DVD.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PKMKII on Tue May 05, 2009 3:12 pm

"We'll soon stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!" - Bender

PKMKII

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes