The "Don't go Their" Game (AKA Teach Cap a Lesson)

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The "Don't go Their" Game (AKA Teach Cap a Lesson)

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:34 am

I have bitten my lip for so long on this won because I didn't want to be a total Zankou, but I can't hold it in any longer!

The game is quite simple.

Rule #1: State a single sentence that uses any one of the words "There", "Their", or "They're" in there proper grammatical context, and than you are awarded 1 point!

Rule #2: If you happen to use the words "There", "Their", or "They're" in they're Improper grammatical context (In this thread or any other thread on the board.) than you will loose 1000 points and or relinquish the position of administrator of this board to PG (Read: Myself, PantyGnawer, or PG's Mums son).

Rule #3: We don't talk about Homonym Club!

Rule #4: We don't talk about Homonym Club!

This feels like giving up cheat codes to an awesome new video game but here is a test that you can take to ensure that you score big in this game!

http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm

I got 100%!

Fear me...

:x
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Re: The "Don't go Their" Game (AKA Teach Cap a Lesson)

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:39 am

I went to their website, and I got 100% also. It wasn't hard at all.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:58 am

DT leads the pack with 1 point!

Astoundingly proficient playmanship!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby ken worley on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:11 pm

I had assumed that her misuse of the homonyms was intentional, to help ID trolls and smartasses.

Why she believes in Zeus?...just plain nuts.(imo)

PS, @cap...Who was the greek god of cunnilingus and other vagina-related fornications?
(i'm trying to pick out my hallowen costume early for next year.)

Maybe I'll just go as a giant Visa Platinum card, slathered in K-Y Jelly.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:38 pm

ken worley wrote:I had assumed that her misuse of the homonyms was intentional, to help ID trolls and smartasses.

Why she believes in Zeus?...just plain nuts.(imo)

PS, @cap...Who was the greek god of cunnilingus and other vagina-related fornications?
(i'm trying to pick out my hallowen costume early for next year.)

Maybe I'll just go as a giant Visa Platinum card, slathered in K-Y Jelly.

It would have been Zeus, or Dionysus. They're both well known for their lechery.

There, how was that?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:I have bitten my lip for so long on this one because I didn't want to be a total Zankou, but I can't hold it in any longer!

The game is quite simple.

Rule #1: State a single sentence that uses any one of the words "There", "Their", or "They're" in their proper grammatical contexts, and then you are awarded 1 point!

Rule #2: If you happen to use the words "There", "Their", or "They're" in their Improper grammatical context (In this thread or any other thread on the board.) then you will lose 1000 points and/or relinquish the position of administrator of this board to PG (Read: Myself, PantyGnawer, or PG's Mums son).

Rule #3: We don't talk about Homonym Club!

Rule #4: We don't talk about Homonym Club!

This feels like giving up cheat codes to an awesome new video game but here is a test that you can take to insure that you score big in this game!

http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm

I got 100%!

Fear me...

:x
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Elvalia on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 am

I went to that website. I did that quiz. I earned a glorious-looking 100%.

That Quiz wrote:17. IBM have increased ______ profits by 20%.(This example is correct in British English - ask an American what they would say!)

Hey, Americans; what would you say?
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:33 am

uhhh, 'do what we tell ya or we'll nuke yez back to the Stone Age'?..ohh, i see.."IBM have increased profits by 20%."
(i wouldn't necessarily use "their", since "profits" refers back to IBM directly..but, i'm just 1 USAian with a tenuous grasp on that there grammar they're trying to promote in their schools..)
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM
Dan (dat haole dude)
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:47 am

ICBM missiles, however, are neither here, nor there. One can only hope that they're friendly missiles, and not the kind that explode in your face.

Why, a friend of mine had an ICBM missile hit him in the face, and all I could say was; "there, there,". I felt like a right tit. I mean, he was hit by a bloody missile and all I could do was console him!

Five points, woohoo.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:56 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
Why, a friend of mine had an ICBM missile hit him in the face, and all I could say was; "there, there,". I felt like a right tit. I mean, he was hit by a bloody missile and all I could do was console him!

That is an amazing display of wit. I applaud you.
Moral Minority

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:02 am

"They're coming," their mother said while standing there.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Capellini on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 am

My accidental misuse of homonyms comes from a general disinterest in going back and fixing it when it happens. I'm not generally concerned with the maintenance of perfect grammar in this community, so I pretty much just don't think about it. If the right words come out, yippy. If the wrong words come out, boo fuckin' hoo. If I notice an error and give enough of a crap to fix it, I do. Otherwise, I don't.

The fact that anyone has the free time to notice and make a stink about it makes me sad for their apparently empty lives.

Oh, and I never mess up 'they're' with anything else, its just the occasional swapping of 'their' and 'there'. Although I do have a mental block against remembering 'its' and 'it's', I can only remember the difference for about a week before I have to look it up again. Something about it is just completely counter-intuitive to me.

I also type very very fast, which contributes to the problem. And don't generally proof read, and definitely don't go back after a significant period of time to edit things, ESPECIALLY if its just a little grammatical error.

As for the rather insulting idea that you are actually going to 'teach me a lesson'? Get real.

It would make me very proud to see this thread die, because it would mean that people here have more important lives than I suspect they do, but that would be quite a surprise. So in lieu of that, I hope that you're all very happy in a world where someone else's disinterest in grammar is what keeps you motivated to live. I actually have to go do stuff that matters.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Capellini wrote:Although I do have a mental block against remembering 'its' and 'it's', I can only remember the difference for about a week before I have to look it up again.

I have the exact same block.

It was all just a little joke. Don't get your panties in a wad!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Where are they?
There they're there!
Whose are they?
Them? They're theirs!
(Hear that?
Here's the hair of a hare here!
Um ah?
Nah, um urnae!)*

*That last bit was in Glaswegian, by the way
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Capellini on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:34 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:
Capellini wrote:Although I do have a mental block against remembering 'its' and 'it's', I can only remember the difference for about a week before I have to look it up again.

I have the exact same block.

It was all just a little joke. Don't get your panties in a wad!

You assume I wear panties.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes