Out of date my noodly appendage

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Out of date my noodly appendage

Postby Rainswept on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am

So, as a 30+yr old college student, I have an old crappy computer which won't run all the new, super pretty video games. Resultantly, I play older ones.

I've discovered there is lots to be said for this practice. The games are way cheaper (I got every Command and Conquer game made in the first 10 years for $10) They have all been rated by everyone and time, so it's easy to tell which ones are worth getting. All the important bugs have been patched on all of them. All of them run smooth as hell even on my POS PC.

Anyway does anyone else do this? I've spent the last week or so playing NeverWinter Nights and Hordes of the Underdark. Before that it was Command and Conquer (Generals: Zero Hour) and next up might be either Age of Empires or a replay of Fallout 2.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: Out of date my noodly appendage

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 am

You are onto something there. Playstation 3 games are nearly £40. You can't beat a game of good old 'Doom' or 'Quake 3' in my opinion. Can you still play 'Doom' online?...it's more fun if you can link up and blast the monsters together.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Elvalia on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 am

Hey, Neverwinter's not that old. That was the game that sparked my love of games... good times.
But yeah, I still play it. You know what I really miss though? Ultima IV. I seem to have lost the disk. Or maybe my brother stole it. One never knows.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Rainswept on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:06 am

Lol. My love of games was sparked by Defender and Combat in 1980.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Well, until yesterday I was running a PoS that my folks bought back in 2001, so I was kind of forced to. Right now, I am currently in the midst of playing (at the same time; this is just the "old" games. I define old as released 1980 - 2000)

Grim Fandango
Maniac Mansion
Full Throttle
The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
Anachronox
System Shock 2 (for the umpteen millionth time)
Betrayal At Krondor
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Baldur's Gate Trilogy (A mod that make it possible to start Baldur's Gate and play clear through to the end of BGII: ToB. This will take a while.)
Ultima IX (This game is crap, take it from me. I'm only bothering so's I can say I've beaten every Ultima game)
Planescape: Torment
The Longest Journey

I actually prefer the games that came out from about 1988-1999 over modern games. I think we have too much of a focus on whizz-bang pretty graphics. With the exception of a rare few games (Portal), there's hardly anything unique or interesting on the market. Most of the ones that are interesting (Spore, Force Unleashed) are massive letdowns. So I do play old games, but not because I'm broke. Alright, yes, I'm broke and I can't afford new games. But I do play because I genuinely enjoy old games.

And yes, I believe there still is an online Doom community.

Elvalia, I have the Ultima Collection. One of the best buys I ever made. I will say, I actually prefer the first one and VI to IV.

I would say the game that sparked my love of games would be Castle Wolfenstein, on my Dad's C64. I still love that game to this day, and defend it against the morons who think that Wolfenstein 3D was the first in the series.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:00 am

I got Diablo 2 the other day... I know it's not too old, but I got it straight after finishing Diablo 1.

Then there's DN:3D.

I just got a new laptop today, an Asus EEE PC 1000HD, which doesn't have a CD drive. It's got better RAM than the laptop I use now, so I'm definitely getting an external whatsit. I'll still play old games, because they rock.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:44 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:I would say the game that sparked my love of games would be Castle Wolfenstein, on my Dad's C64. I still love that game to this day, and defend it against the morons who think that Wolfenstein 3D was the first in the series.

Yes, Castle Wolfenstein was the daddy of Doom. I didn't own a computer when that came out but I used to go round 'The Black Spot's' house after a session at the pub and play Wolfenstein on his PC. If you killed enough nazis you'd eventually find a secret room full of the monsters which eventually went on to populate Doom.

I aslo loved 'Star Craft', 'Unreal' and 'Rune'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:58 am

No, no, no, Bart that was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D

Here's the one I'm talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anickels on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Try Warcraft II and III. Good times to be had by all.
anickels
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 pm

When everyone went nuts over Halo 3 on x-box I went out and bought the 1st one on pc.

I also bought like 4 or 5 C&C games for twenty bucks.

I downloaded an emulator for the original nintendo and can play like 600 different games.

Also downloaded Age of Empires. I really liked it at first but by the time I got any good at it I thought it was tedious.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:09 pm

MYST! (All of them but the 5th one, because my computer isn't good enough to run it.)
The original MYST blew away all the other games out at the time.

Neverwinter Nights is great, as for the sequels, Shadows of Undrentide was pretty lousy, but Hordes of the Underdark was OK, and opened up more henchmen options. Again, my current computer cannot play the latest version.

Sid Meier's Civilization 1, 2, 3, and 4 all have been totally addictive. As was the original SimCity that we played til dawn on our monochrome monitor.

Obsidian rocked as well, but my current computer is too advanced to play it anymore. Darn.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:55 am

anickels wrote:Try Warcraft II and III. Good times to be had by all.

YES! Warcraft II was the first strategy game I ever played. Good times. III was great, too. Of course all Blizzard games are, even though WoW still pisses me off by messing with the plot of the games, and trying to make the Horde seem "evil".
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 am

Starcraft was a hoot as well.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Elvalia on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:59 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
anickels wrote:Try Warcraft II and III. Good times to be had by all.

YES! Warcraft II was the first strategy game I ever played. Good times. III was great, too. Of course all Blizzard games are, even though WoW still pisses me off by messing with the plot of the games, and trying to make the Horde seem "evil".

Warcraft II was the only RTS I ever enjoyed... after that, I just couldn't get into them.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 am

I still have Warcraft: Orcs & Humans somewhere. Must... resist urge to... reinstall...
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes