Favorite comedians, perhaps?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Lord of Numa on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:28 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:
Lord of Numa wrote:
lordpunkmonk wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:All-time greatest: Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. In that order.

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, Mitch Hedburg, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fresh Blood: Joe Rogan, Patton Oswalt, Demitri Martin, Kevin James, Stephen Lynch, and what the hell, Zach Galifinakis. (sp?) More or less in that order.

Plagiarizing Fuckwits: Denis Leary, Carlos Mencia, and Dane Cook. These guys are comedians like Milli Vanilli were musicians.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed. I found the bolds to be unnecesary.
Fixed. I found your text to be unnecessarily too not freaking huge

Fixed. I found your post to be unnecessarily stupid
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:33 pm

Lord of Numa wrote:
lordpunkmonk wrote:
Lord of Numa wrote:
lordpunkmonk wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:All-time greatest: Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. In that order.

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, Mitch Hedburg, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fresh Blood: Joe Rogan, Patton Oswalt, Demitri Martin, Kevin James, Stephen Lynch, and what the hell, Zach Galifinakis. (sp?) More or less in that order.

Plagiarizing Fuckwits: Denis Leary, Carlos Mencia, and Dane Cook. These guys are comedians like Milli Vanilli were musicians.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed. I found the bolds to be unnecesary.
Fixed. I found your text to be unnecessarily too not freaking huge

Fixed. I found your post to be a post

Fixed. I found your post to have little to no factual information
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:17 am

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

I think Taidje finds the word "funny" to be just a combination of the words "obscene" & "original."
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Taidje Khan on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:01 am

Not at all, but that is a high-functioning generality. Why, are you taking issue with my list? You some kind of Cosby fan?
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:34 am

Tell Bill Cosby to have a Coke and a smile, and shut the fuck up.

Actually I'm quite a fan many of the things Cosby has to say, and I think he's funny and original.

I don't have any "issue" with your list, just seeing a bit of a pattern. I am fairly surprised you don't have Howard Stern and Redd Foxx on it.

I've always thought Hicks is way, way overrated. I like most of the rest of your list (Only early Eddie Murphy tho, before he turned into the people he used to make fun of.)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:45 am

Adam Hills.
Frank Woodley
Hamish and Andy
Rove Mcmanus

That guy that did "The Glass House"
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:12 am

Pat Robertson

'nuff said.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 am

Rainswept wrote:Tell Bill Cosby to have a Coke and a smile, and shut the fuck up.

Actually I'm quite a fan many of the things Cosby has to say, and I think he's funny and original.

I don't have any "issue" with your list, just seeing a bit of a pattern. I am fairly surprised you don't have Howard Stern and Redd Foxx on it.

I've always thought Hicks is way, way overrated. I like most of the rest of your list (Only early Eddie Murphy tho, before he turned into the people he used to make fun of.)

Howard Stern isn't a comedian, is he? I think he's always been a radio cat, I don't think he's done stand up. I'm not familiar enough with Redd Foxx to list him, I only know him from Sanford and Son.

But to call Bill Hicks overrated? Well, you know who else was called "overrated?" George Washington. And just look at what they call him now: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ8BCNj2oao

As for Eddie Murphy . . . Man, what the hell happened? I mean . . . What the hell happened?

Here's another good question: Who's the best to come out of SNL? I vote Bill Murray. Thoughts?
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 am

But to call Bill Hicks overrated?
Serioulsy, it's just my opinion, but the guy is not that funny. He picks topics to shock people, and sometimes because he has a point he wants to make. That's fine, but not particularly funny. The he repeats his punchlines like 10 times complete with way overdone "passion" and often wierd noises like he's trying to swallow his damn microphone.

Putting him in the same sentence with Pryor and Carlin is an injustice to them.

As for Cosby, I'm glad you brought him up, because I've been watching his old stuff, and some of that was funny. People steal his stuff even 20 years later lol.
Rainswept

Larry David

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 am

At the moment I can't wait to see episodes of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' so it has to be Larry David.

Also:

Steve Cougan
Harry Hill
The Mighty Boosh lot
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Stephen Colbert , Diogenes , Aristotle
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Sophocles, Aristophanes. Cicero did some good work in the early days. Before his uh, "accident."
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Lol... Accident...

Colbert is definitely pretty awesome, even if he's not as good a comedian as Stewart.

It also turns out that, hey,the guy can sing, too...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Samantha on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 am

How about David Cross? I liked "Shut Up you F-ing Baby!" -- the bit about growing up Jewish in the south is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64XWghZrsoE
Samantha
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:29 am

sammantha, I like you alot for liking david cross: he is much funnier than you might think if you only knoaw him from his small cameos in movies: MIB2,, for instance.

David cross, look him up on youtube, or even wikiquote, he is making great comedy right now, I wish ihe was more popular.

Did, incidentally, did anybody catch the latest George Carlin HBOSPEcial? It's bullshit and it's bad for ya? a lot of recycled material (especially from his books, ) and some paraphrasing from Bill Hicks, I fear that it will be his last performance. He is old. COmplaints and grievances was a lot better.

Oh: As to Rainswept saying that Bill Hicks isn't supposed to be in the same sentence as Carlin and Pryor: I don't know if you know this: but George Carlin has cited Bill Hicks as his biggest influence. He said that Hicks came along and reminded him that being a comedian was more than just telling jokes, that one had an obligation to make people think as well. Carlin said that Hicks was like a reincarnation of Lenny Bruce, which if you know Carlin, that's his ultimate hero and the reason he got into comedy: Lenny Bruce. So it's like the highest possible praise for Carlin to say you're like Lenny.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors