Favorite comedians, perhaps?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Wawizzle on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:22 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:have you heard gerbil?

Yeah. I have his entire discography.

My favorite is Tiny Little Mustache
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby farfalla on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Penn and Teller (see Evolution vs. ID Debate - Penn and Teller on creationism thread)
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:24 am

Pat Condell
Mark Day
Kevin James
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 pm

I like Pat Condell as a political and social commentator.

I have little experience with his comedy to date...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm

All-time greatest: Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. In that order.

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fresh Blood: Joe Rogan, Patton Oswalt, Demitri Martin, Kevin James, Stephen Lynch, and what the hell, Zach Galifinakis. (sp?) More or less in that order.

Plagiarizing Fuckwits: Denis Leary, Carlos Mencia, and Dane Cook. These guys are comedians like Milli Vanilli were musicians.
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Lord of Numa on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Ah, I completely forgot Jim Gaffigan
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:07 am

Taidje Khan wrote:All-time greatest: Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. In that order.

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fresh Blood: Joe Rogan, Patton Oswalt, Demitri Martin, Kevin James, Stephen Lynch, and what the hell, Zach Galifinakis. (sp?) More or less in that order.

Plagiarizing Fuckwits: Denis Leary, Carlos Mencia, and Dane Cook. These guys are comedians like Milli Vanilli were musicians.

I agree totally.

Btw, there are some others who are, IMO, pretty good, including Lewis Black and Jeff Dunham, the puppeteer.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

I know, as soon as I posted that I remembered more and more dudes that also should have been mentioned, but the list I put up is, I think, comprised of guys who can't be excluded, whereas Black and Dunham aren't as innovative and influential. Which is the biggest grading criterion for me. They're great comedians--no doubt--but they're not dissimilar enough from others to be indispensable. Lewis Black has elements of Hicks, Carlin, etc. in his act, and Dunham has elements of Izzard, Dangerfield, what have you.

Plus . . . Puppets, dude. Seriously. Puppets.

Now here's something to think about: Who is the best female comedian? Have any women even been mentioned yet? I like Sheryl Underwood personally, but there must be some others, she's almost obscure.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Very true, especially about Dunham's Dangerfield-esque self-deprecation.

I haven't many female comedians at all - last time I saw one, she was burning Flavor Flav. But you don't need skill for that.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:29 pm

I was going to mention Gilda Radner, of SNL fame, but I'm not sure if she counts.

Oh Snap! I forgot Mitch Hedburg! He had a great style, unique in many ways, and he was really progressing technically until he died. (Heroin?) Put him on the end of the 'Honorable Mentions' list.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Taidje Khan wrote:All-time greatest: Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. In that order.

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, Mitch Hedburg, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fix'd

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:09 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:

Honorable Mentions: Eddie Izzard, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Lopez, Rodney Dangerfield, Mitch Hedburg, and Sam Kinison. Also in that order.

Fixed.

Fixed.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Taidje Khan wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed. I found the bolds to be unnecesary.
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Lord of Numa on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:18 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed. I found your text to be unnecessarily too not freaking huge
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Lord of Numa wrote:
lordpunkmonk wrote:
Taidje Khan wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed. I found your text to be unnecessarily too not freaking huge

Fixed I found your post to be unnecesarily large
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors