Favourite Book

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Favourite Book

Postby Rainswept on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:58 am

I tried 3 times and couldn't get through book one.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby MeatballEucharist on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:56 pm

I agree completely that it goes loopy after book 4 but I like it. Book 1 (The Gunslinger) is pretty short and the audio books can be found on limewire if you want a stab at it. I like it, but King often has a is like it or leave it effect on people. The graphic novels are awesome though.

Rainswept wrote:I tried 3 times and couldn't get through book one.

That's like the best one!!!
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna
MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:08 am

Godel, Escher Bach
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Dune
The Once and Future King
The Mists of Avalon
I, Claudius
The Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
Three Cheers for Me (OK, this one's a little obscure, at least to American audiences. But this is one of the few books that has had me laughing so hard that it was hard to breathe.)
I love Dawkins, Sagan, Asimov, Stephen J. Gould, Jared Diamond, and Richard Feynman, but I'm not sure if I could pick a single favorite for each.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:03 pm

The His Dark Materials Series is excellent.
I read a Tree Grows in Brooklyn for summer reading, and it was better than I would've expected. It's up there along with To Kill a Mockingbird; both classics.

I love The Life of Pi, and I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Since my sister didn't read it fast enough.
On the 8th day, god created Chris Jericho. On the 9th, Jericho made him tap out.
midge35
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm adding Prozac Nation to my list.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Anyone who can definitively say what their favourite book is hasn't read enough books.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby WelshRarePasta on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:Godel, Escher, Bach
The Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach

Two of the best books I've ever read, and both that have been on my re-read list for far too long without my actually having reread them! THanks for the reminder, they just got bumped to the top of my list after I'm done with my current reading project.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby S'presso on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Anyone who can definitively say what their favourite book is hasn't read enough books.

Not true, I've read so many books I've lost count. And I can definitively say which was my favourite book, because it stood out against all the others, and still sticks in my mind now. I have many on the "really good" list, but just one favourite that I could never get tired of reading.
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Horigot on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Ya the Dark Tower is by far my favorite books. But I disagree the first one was the best, that one was actually the hardest for me to read. But the whole series though is awesome.

1.Dark Tower series
3.Sword of Shanarra
4.Ender's Game
5.House Of Leaves
6.The Hobbit

After that I cant think of anything else because I spend more time trashing on books. I read way to much crap.
Horigot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby aidiore on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 pm

This is when i realize that 1984 its one of the uncommun books that is really really good and make a really really good movie (both 1956 and 1984...i dont know what to expect from the 2009...but im going to say...bad)...you need great cast and director and...i dont know..fairy dust?...because the movie its great and it doesnt depend on fantastic special effects...or a twist in the end...or...im going to say a monster...its like A clockwork orange...the book is art...pure art...and the Kubrick movie its...ahhh...just like beethoven to the music....FSM bless Stanley :worship: :worship: :worship:
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas-Hunter S. Thompson

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Hawai'ian Mythology-Martha Beckwith

almost everything by Carl Hiassen

Sibley's Guide to Western Birds
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM
Dan (dat haole dude)
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Capellini on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I actually like The Rum Diary better than Fear and Loathing.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Horigot wrote:Ya the Dark Tower is by far my favorite books.

I just don't get it. I love to find out people's favortie book and then read it, it's often a great way to both find good books and learn about that person.The Dark Tower is one of the most frequent answwers to that question I hear, maybe the most frequent after The Bible and Harry Potter.

I read dozens of novels a year, and I cannot get through The Gunslinger. I've tried three times.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Rainswept wrote:
Horigot wrote:Ya the Dark Tower is by far my favorite books.

I just don't get it. I love to find out people's favortie book and then read it, it's often a great way to both find good books and learn about that person.The Dark Tower is one of the most frequent answwers to that question I hear, maybe the most frequent after The Bible and Harry Potter.

I read dozens of novels a year, and I cannot get through The Gunslinger. I've tried three times.

Read a synopsis and skip to book 2. :D That's where the magic happens.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Mine is the Dictionary.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors