The Golden Compass/ Northern Lights

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Golden Compass/ Northern Lights

Postby haracas on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 am

So yeah, this is my second post, but i recently got an email from a really long lost friend of mine (to which i am not opposed to losing in the first place).

This friend doesn't know i'm an atheist now, in part because religion only seems to incite wars, and make people stupider. I guess i have him to thank for re-enforcing my disgust for religion, because here i received an email about an upcoming book-to-film adaption called " The Golden Compass".
Dear Brothers and sisters,
>
>
>
>We've just received an alert regarding a new children's movie scheduled to
>be out next month called "The Golden Compass." The movie has been described
>as "atheism for kids" and is based on the first book of a trilogy entitled
>"His Dark Materials" written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is a militant
>atheist and secular humanist who despises C. S. Lewis and the "Chronicles
>of Narnia." His motivation for writing this trilogy was specifically to
>counteract Lewis' symbolisms of Christ portrayed in the Narnia series.
>Clearly, Pullman's main objective is to bash Christianity and promote
>atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a
>2003 interview, "my books are about killing God." He has even stated that
>he wants "to kill God in the minds of children." It has been said of
>Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying for, if
>atheists prayed."
>
>While "The Golden Compass" movie itself may seem mild and innocent, the
>books are a much different story. In the trilogy, a young streetwise girl
>becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle to ultimately defeat the oppressive
>forces of a senile God. Another character, an ex-nun, describes
>Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." In the final
>book, characters representing Adam and Eve eventually kill God, who at
>times is called YAHWEH. Each book in the trilogy gets progressively worse
>regarding Pullman's hatred of Jesus Christ.
>
>"The Golden Compass" is set to premier December 7, during the Christmas
>season and will probably be heavily advertised. Promoters hope that
>unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, that they
>will enjoy the movie, and that the children will want the books for
>Christmas. Please boycott the movie and the books. Also, pass this
>information along to everyone you know. This will help to educate parents,
>so that they will know the agenda of the movie.
>Both the book and the movie introduce atheism to children. The story ends
>with Adam and Eve killing God. THIS IS A MOVIE THAT WE MUST PROTEST AND
>OPPOSE AS CHRISTIANS. Please check out the links below and help spread
>the word. Do not remain silent on this issue. This is a time for the
>family of GOD to stand together against such trash. Focus on the Family
>has several notices written about it. You can click on this link to see one
>of them: http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000005672.cfm You can also
>read more about it at:- www.churchtrainer.com The Golden Compass A
>movie to avoid We need to get the word out about this movie - it is coming
>out in December - an atheist produced it,it is marketed for children and in
>the end they kill God. Send this to everyone you know.
>http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
>Victor NgDevelopment Manager Special ProjectsCampus Crusade Asia Limited
>-Mass Media1 Lorong 2 Toa Payoh#01-02, Yellow Pages BuildingSingapore
>(319637)Tel : 65-6356 6063 Fax : 65-6356 6109 Visit Us at
>http://www.ccalmm.com /
>
>Real people. Real questions. Real answers. Share what you know.

I've not read the book, nor watched the movie yet, but rest assured, i will be going to do both of those tasks now.

Firstly, am i the only one who's slightly scared that somewhere in their brains, the christians seem to think that atheists are the source of evil? I mean surely its not like religion to launch crusades or jihads, issue fatwas, or subject other fellow humans to torture based on beliefs and not facts, right? Clearly atheists like me have no regard for other humans and all we wish to do is be giant flaming sources of evil. Not that me being a pacifist, or actively engaged in wiping out discrimination has anything to do with my belief, because hey! i'm atheist. Yup, big bag of evil here.

That aside, the Christian parents clearly felt it was okay to sub-consciously force their beliefs down their children's throats by taking them to watch (or read, if any child still does that) Narnia. Believing in a being that exists because you believe it to there is okay, but NOT believing in that being that exists because they believe it to makes YOU bad. (note, i'm more about tolerance, so to that extent, i treat Atheism still as a belief, not the universal truth) I don't get why religious people seem to be so strung up with intolerance. Just because someone holds a different opinion from you doesn't make him wrong (unless that opinion is backed by fact, which doesn't make it an opinion anymore imo) and that doesn't give you the right to launch wars and take lives.

Hmm i think i've ranted too much, so i'll stop here. Thoughts/Opinions anyone? I tend to go through several revisions, because i'm not always able to express all my thoughts in one sitting.

and semi-related pic link:
http://picsyard.com/ATHEISTS_GET_THE_HE ... OF_AMERICA
haracas
Conchigliette Convert

His Dark Materials

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:38 am

Absolutely fascinating post that, well done. I have read the Trilogy and it is Fantastic, I only hope the movie does the books justice but I don't suppose it will. His Dark Materials is a must read for anyone, forget about religion, just read the books and enjoy them.

I suppose 'The Subtle Knife' does a similar job to the wardrobe in Narnia but you've got a lot more worlds to choose from.

The books have been around for a long time so if anyone wanted to protest about them they should have got their act together long ago.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 am

I read the trilogy, and enjoyed it. It's my understanding they took most all of the religious stuff out for the film, and religious groups are now worried the movies will cause people to read the books.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby rkzenrage on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm

A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died.
Hakuin answered, "How am I supposed to know?"
"How do you know? You're a Zen master?" exclaimed the samurai.
"Yes, but not a dead one," Hakuin answered.
Zen Mondo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM
rkzenrage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:09 am

I was planning not to see this movie. Having never heard of the books, I imagined the movie as another Hollywood rip-off trying to cash in on the Lord of the Rings craze. I have changed my mind and now intend to see the movie and read the books.

As for my take on the letter, I think the idea of God should be "killed" in the minds of children. Let them be brought up as rationalists first, then they can revert to mysticism later in life if they choose. Simply because it's easy for a rationalist to turn mystic. The reverse is infinitely harder.

Taidje Khan is sensitive to the needs of the childrenz.
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Erm......

That aside, the Christian parents clearly felt it was okay to sub-consciously force their beliefs down their children's throats by taking them to watch (or read, if any child still does that) Narnia.

The Chronicles of Narnia had a lot of Christian symbolism, but I didn't find that they were overly Christian otherwise. They were a brilliant story, that I reccomend to anyone. It's almost impossible to find the strong Christian overtones unless you're looking for them, and it isn't written in a way to brainwash someone, either.

On topic: I intend to read His Dark Materials.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby anthrobabe on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Read them - they are awesome

Can not wait to see the movie

as I say a banned- book/movie is one worth reading/seeing!
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Clifford on Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:32 pm

LOL and friggin LMAO how stupid! "let me remind Adam and Eve killed God" did he forget that he was senile in the first place? And has he heared of anything called fiction?

Could I get his email address?
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby ke_mikiao on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 am

i still dont see how the books show Pullman's "Pullman's hatred of Jesus Christ."

they kill God......not jesus.....just cause i kill your dad doesnt mean i hate you....

anywho.......loved the books.....hope the books can hold a candle......
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby rkzenrage on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:29 am

A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died.
Hakuin answered, "How am I supposed to know?"
"How do you know? You're a Zen master?" exclaimed the samurai.
"Yes, but not a dead one," Hakuin answered.
Zen Mondo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM
rkzenrage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cryofdragon on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:15 am

His Dark Materials is easily one of the best, if not the best, fantasy series out there.

For those that don't know, His Dark Materials is made up of The Northern Lights or The Golden Compass in America, then The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. Pullman does an excellent job creating characters and stories that are fanciful yet believable. Some of the best books ever written, imho.

I'm already angry at the movies. In the trailers, they claimed there was only one Alethiometer, simply not true.
Still Alive.
Cryofdragon
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Great series, with great imagery and characterization. It seems to me to be far more convincing than the Bible, at any rate.

I really want to see how they'd accomplish all the special effects, like the dimensional rifts and whatnot.

Anyways, great post there. It truly shows how small - minded and stupid these fundies are.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby mushaboom on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:56 pm

I love the book. In the Golden Compass movie I know there isn't a "Church" in it. So, I'm really nervous that they have effed it up.
mushaboom
Conchigliette Convert

Postby haracas on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:38 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Erm......

That aside, the Christian parents clearly felt it was okay to sub-consciously force their beliefs down their children's throats by taking them to watch (or read, if any child still does that) Narnia.

The Chronicles of Narnia had a lot of Christian symbolism, but I didn't find that they were overly Christian otherwise. They were a brilliant story, that I reccomend to anyone. It's almost impossible to find the strong Christian overtones unless you're looking for them, and it isn't written in a way to brainwash someone, either.

On topic: I intend to read His Dark Materials.

I agree with you. I read Narnia when i was like ten and look at me now. I'm sure the same can be said for The Dark Materials. Kids probably won't be able to pick up the atheist undertones whilst adults could, however, it, like Narnia, is still fantasy and it feels to me like the Christians are kicking up a fuss over it just because they can.
haracas
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zoidberg on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:53 am

They didn't kill God (Spoilers)...

He face-planted and poofed away. They don't even know what they're bitching about. Anyway it was a great set of books. The beginning is a bit slow but it picks up fast.
Zoidberg
Ziti Zealot

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors