What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby jmb on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 am

Calena wrote:I´ll tell you how I liked Planet Terror when I`ve finally seen it (starts on August 24th).

Transformers: I like those cars which turn into battle-mechs that I have seen in the trailers. But it`s a pity if the movie`s really humor-free. As I´m a girl myself I hope there will be handsome guys too. :)

Speaking of the differences between how guys and girls like some movies, I should have mentioned Planet Terror was more appealing to guys than girls. It had lots of T&A as you'd expect for a parody of older B movies and exploitation films. Of the main female characters, I think one worked as an exotic dancer, another was a bimbo, and another was a very dominant type of nurse. It had lots of "zombie" style action scenes and violence. The action was usually done in fresh, funny ways (like comic book or cartoon type action but realized with visual effects), but still it was often intentionally gross and gory. Also, to tie together the Grindhouse release, a few of the actors and characters who appeared in Planet Terror reappeared in bit parts in Death Proof, you might be able to spot the overlaps.

-jeremy
jmb
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rainswept on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

Calena wrote:
jmb wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:The Matrix: Awesome. I'm still lost. I must see the other two.

You're in for some disappointment. The Matrix was a great movie. It had a story, and it stood on its own.

I second that. The third one wasn`t as bad as the second one, or maybe I felt that way, cause my expectations were lower. To ruin such a good movie with such bad sequels is a shame.

I third that. The sequels sucked.

black bart wrote:Pans Labyrinth...Fantastic!
Meh. It was original, and somewhat interesting. It wasn't anything I'd rush to recommend.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:48 am

jmb wrote:
Calena wrote:I´ll tell you how I liked Planet Terror when I`ve finally seen it (starts on August 24th).

Transformers: I like those cars which turn into battle-mechs that I have seen in the trailers. But it`s a pity if the movie`s really humor-free. As I´m a girl myself I hope there will be handsome guys too. :)

Speaking of the differences between how guys and girls like some movies, I should have mentioned Planet Terror was more appealing to guys than girls.

Thanks for the warning, but as I like Tarantino and Rodriguez movies and am generally bored to tears by rom-coms I think I can risk watching Planet Terror even if its not the typical chick flick. :)
(I got more to say to the differences between guys and girls regarding movies, but I have to take my talk for a walk now)
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Calena on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:19 pm

I saw Transformers yesterday and sadly it was quite boring. I had ecpected to like it, cause I like CGI and big battle-robots. But this movie was disappointing. I guess I expected a sci-fi movie but this one had no storyline or character development whatsoever.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Sarcophogi on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:05 am

Calena wrote:I saw Transformers yesterday and sadly it was quite boring. I had ecpected to like it, cause I like CGI and big battle-robots. But this movie was disappointing. I guess I expected a sci-fi movie but this one had no storyline or character development whatsoever.

What?! You don't need storyine or character development when you have transforming robots!
Sarcophogi
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Rainswept on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:21 am

The Bourne Ultimatum, which I enjoyed. The bourne movies are always good for a quick injection of action into your day :D
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:52 am

Sarcophogi wrote:
Calena wrote:I saw Transformers yesterday and sadly it was quite boring. I had ecpected to like it, cause I like CGI and big battle-robots. But this movie was disappointing. I guess I expected a sci-fi movie but this one had no storyline or character development whatsoever.

What?! You don't need storyine or character development when you have transforming robots!

Yeah, I know that now. Or it's just a guy movie, cause the 3 guys I saw it with loved it. At least now I know better than to watch the sequel (that will sureley come).
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:30 pm

Signs: Good movie, but not scary in the laest, and the ending pissed me off.

He went back to religion. eugh.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Calena on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:06 am

28 Days later: We saw the trailers for 28 Months later the last 3 times we went to the cinema and just couldn't make our mind up if we wanted to see it or not. So when I found a cheap DVD of 28 Days later I bought it and we watched it yesterday. It could have been a really good movie, the story had potential, but in my opinion they totally blew it. It was quite a boring movie. But now we know we don't want to see the sequel. (Happens a lot to me latley :) ). I think the third movie will be called "28 Years Later". :)
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby farfalla on Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:22 am

Stardust - must see for Pastafarians - gotta love those pirates (Robert De Niro is priceless)
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am

Matrix: Reloaded.
Dumb.

[Spoilers]

Neo can fly...stupid.
Smith can create more of himself...silly.
The different programs are weird.

And a stupid cliffhanger.

[/Spoilers]

I have to see Revolutions, just to finish it.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Calena on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 am

@Zankou: We told you so! :)
But the third one is a little bit better than the second one. Maybe that only seems so, because they made you lower your ecpectations dramatically with the second one. Probably it was all planed that way and we were too dumb to get it.

When I was on the homepage of the local cinema last time, it said "Planet Terror" starts on August 24th. Yesterday I wanted to book tickets and now it says the movie starts on October the 5th. :x
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

28 days

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 am

Calena wrote:28 Days later: We saw the trailers for 28 Months later the last 3 times we went to the cinema and just couldn't make our mind up if we wanted to see it or not. So when I found a cheap DVD of 28 Days later I bought it and we watched it yesterday. It could have been a really good movie, the story had potential, but in my opinion they totally blew it. It was quite a boring movie. But now we know we don't want to see the sequel. (Happens a lot to me latley :) ). I think the third movie will be called "28 Years Later". :)

I totally agree...began well but lost momentum.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:37 am

Calena wrote:@Zankou: We told you so! :)

Yeah, I know, but i had to see it. I can't just watch a third of the series.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Calena on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Calena wrote:@Zankou: We told you so! :)

Yeah, I know, but i had to see it. I can't just watch a third of the series.

I know, I know. But it's really sad, isn't it?
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors