What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Sarcophogi on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:45 am

I recently watched "Stay" on HBO
Loved it so much I went out and found it on DVD.
I suggest it to everyone who likes those mystery weird twist kind of movies..
This movie actually perked up an interest in studying psychology for me also :D
Sarcophogi
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

NNOOOO

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Oh FSM NNOOOOO...we don't want any psychologists runnin riot on here!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Sarcophogi on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:32 pm

Ha
Well, psychologist or not... it's a great movie =)
Sarcophogi
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:56 pm

The Simpsons Movie.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby dukes on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 pm

I recently watched "One Night With The Kjng". It is part of the Fox-Faith series, and is based on the O.T. Book of Esther. After watching the movie - which was pretty good - I went back and re-read Esther to compare (KJ version). The movie is true to the Bible almost word-for-word, until the point where Mordecai is made Regent. After that, the movie ends. The Biblical story continues, and tells of great bloodshed - the Jews taking revenge on those who have oppressed them, with the blessing of the King - thanks to Mordecai. In the Bible, the King notes that 500 men were slain in the palace alone, and asks Esther what should be done. She asks him to let things continue, and after that the Bible relates how 75,000 were slain in one city alone - with many killings in other cities too. Funny, the Fox version doesn't tell of that part, although it does a nice job of the first half of the story - the non-bloody part.
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------
Ballad of John and Yoko
dukes
Lord of Linguini

Fuzz

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:19 am

Hot Fuzz...hilarious.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Baggy on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:02 am

:cry: Daredevil.

I heard the warnings and watched it anyway. What is it about films that when someone tells me that something is an awesome film I couldn't care less. But when they tell me something is tripe I must watch it?
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy"
Baggy
Lumache Lieutenant

terrible

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 am

Don't watch 'Hot Fuzz' then it's terrible. :wink:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 pm

The Sixth Sense.

It was NOT scary in the least. But it was really good.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Calena on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:22 am

I watched Quentin Tarantino`s "Death Proof". I believe in the US it ran as double feature with the new Roberto Rodriguez movie under the title "Grindhouse", but over here we get the films separately , but in longer versions.
Anyway, I liked it very much (as I expected). The beginnig is real slow, but the end is great. It was also a pleasure to see Kurt Russell in a "non-family-movie" again.

I´m looking forward to go see Rodriguez`Planet Terror in about 3 weeks.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby jmb on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 pm

Calena wrote:I watched Quentin Tarantino`s "Death Proof". I believe in the US it ran as double feature with the new Roberto Rodriguez movie under the title "Grindhouse", but over here we get the films separately , but in longer versions.
Anyway, I liked it very much (as I expected). The beginnig is real slow, but the end is great. It was also a pleasure to see Kurt Russell in a "non-family-movie" again.

I´m looking forward to go see Rodriguez`Planet Terror in about 3 weeks.

I saw both (double feature as "grindhouse" as you said) and liked Planet Terror more. Very different films of course, just Planet Terror was more visually fun and fast-paced. It would be interesting to see which missing scenes they put back in to make it into a full movie instead of having the "missing reel" gag that left out scenes in Grindhouse.

Also, with Death Proof, I know you shouldn't hold a filmmaker's every achievement up against his best, but I kept thinking Tarantino had done much better "revenge" movies with Kill Bill I & II, and all the dialog sounded long and slow compared to the funnier and more memorable dialog in Pulp Fiction.

-jeremy
jmb
Ziti Zealot

Postby jmb on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:41 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:The Matrix: Awesome. I'm still lost. I must see the other two.

You're in for some disappointment. The Matrix was a great movie. It had a story, and it stood on its own.

To cash in on the success of the Matrix, two long pointless sequels were made, both shot at once as if they were one long movie. I wish I had just watched The Matrix without sitting through those dull sequels. They did have a lot of visual effects in them, but the dialog and fight scenes were long and boring in 2 and 3, especially all the dialog that tried to sound philosophical. Instead of watching 2 and 3, you could just watch The Matrix again, and maybe watch the making-of extras on DVD and listen to the optional audio.

-jeremy
jmb
Ziti Zealot

Postby jmb on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:50 pm

Rainswept wrote:Ratatouille: Was hilarious.

Transformers: If all you want from the movie is action and pretty girls, you're golden. If you're hoping for much of a plot or anything resembling humor, might want to tone down those expectations.

Agreed, twice over. :D I am biased, but Ratatouille seems like one of the most innovative animated films in a long time. I think the story, the characters, and the quality of animation and graphics are amazing. Great film to watch on the big screen. The director (Brad Bird) also directed "Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles" and you should rent both of those if you haven't seen them.

Transformers could be really cool experience for a boy of the right age. It actually had solid visual effects, but the story and acting weren't really made for the bigger kids or adults. I did sit through all of it, but mostly out of my interest in visual effects.

-j
jmb
Ziti Zealot

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 am

jmb wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:The Matrix: Awesome. I'm still lost. I must see the other two.

You're in for some disappointment. The Matrix was a great movie. It had a story, and it stood on its own.

I second that. The third one wasn`t as bad as the second one, or maybe I felt that way, cause my expectations were lower. To ruin such a good movie with such bad sequels is a shame.

I´ll tell you how I liked Planet Terror when I`ve finally seen it (starts on August 24th).

Transformers: I like those cars which turn into battle-mechs that I have seen in the trailers. But it`s a pity if the movie`s really humor-free. As I´m a girl myself I hope there will be handsome guys too. :)
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

pan

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:32 am

Pans Labyrinth...Fantastic!
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors