What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Just got back from The Grey.

Was teeth-bared lunged at -- that is, greeted with joyous enthusiasm -- by the chihuahua upon arriving home.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Was The Grey good? I know nothing about it. By the way, I had no idea you had a rat, I mean chihuahua. :haha:

EDIT: How could I forget to put this down?!?! I went to see Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace in 3D yesterday. I got some cool 3D glasses shaped like Anakin's podracer ones, some popcorn (the largest size), and a Pepsi (again, the largest size). I really enjoyed it, although the incredibly large number of film ads before the feature film were a bit much. At least some of them were in 3D, including a new Dr Seuss story, Madagascar 3 (not seen the other 2), and Ice Age 4. Those cartoons look really good in 3D, and although Star Wars was good, there were parts that weren't great. Let's see if the 100% digital Episode 2 is better. Eventually.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Something about "The Grey" seems screwy to me. I haven't seen it, and I don't intend to. It seems perfectly timed to the removal of the gray wolf from federal protection, and the efforts of ranchers to wipe them out.

The movie, as I understand it, portrays wolves as vicious, bloodthirsty, shrewd, cruel manhunters.

I think the ranchers and deer hunters sponsored the creation of this movie. Really, I do. There's no other reason for it to come out the same year wolves are removed from the Endangered Species list despite clearly still being endangered.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 am

I knew the premise of The Grey going in to the theater (plane crash + snow + wolves) from the previews.

I [liked] it very much and recommend it. [Don't go with someone who grabs your arm at every peak moment, I'm just saying.] I didn't interpret it as anti-wolf, and I don't think that was a sub-text. It's quite possible that a Dominionist kind of person would take that message, but those people don't think straight under any circumstances.

Liam Neeson plays a sniper in an Arctic oil field, shooting wolves that get too close to the workers. But his character neither sees nor describes them as evil; he studies them with the respect of one predator for another. The film opens with him spotting a wolf racing towards a group of workers and shooting it before the audience even properly focuses on what is happening. Then the next several minutes are spent in a series of voice overs and flash backs, interspersed long moments of his character quietly walking over to the wolf and putting his hand on its side as it dies. Not a maudlin scene, either, FWIW.

Non-spoiler: the rest of the film is a juxtaposition of scenarios in which the men fight amongst themselves for dominance, then hear the wolves sorting out their own hierarchy, then coalesce to defend themselves against the wolves. (Which the movie makes crystal clear are just defending their territory, and possibly den, from an encroaching 'pack'.) Thus, some predictable "I see what you did thar" moments, but helpful in educating those who think that humans are not animals.

The eponymous grey is the pack leader -- Liam Neeson's equal and antagonist. He analyzes their sounds and movements thoughtfully and dispassionately, and attempts to get his 'pack' away from their territory as quickly as possible -- without letting them cower or act like prey during confrontations. I've seen better CGI, but I've seen worse, too, so I'm not going to fault them on some puppetry moments. One recurring thought I had throughout was: How many oil workers would the average, 'civilized' Murkin movie-goer be willing to sacrifice in just this scenario in order to Drill, Baby, Drill? I bet the answer would be more sickening than any CGI wolves.

Deep down inside, I like to think that *that* was the sub-text of the movie.
I'd go see it again -- this time without my arm-clutching friend. It gets old, stage-hissing "DO NOT GRAB ME!!!" at least twice in every movie we go to. :haha:
pieces o'nine

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 am

I watched 'Paul' and enjoyed it very much. I do like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

Also saw 'Exit through the gift shop' which was also excellent.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Clifford on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Going through the anime recently, namely Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke. All brilliant, although the last two do get a bit carried away with themselves.

Oh, and slime. The producers love slime.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Paul is excellent, Bart. I especially love the fundie lady. :lech:

Clifford, I love Spirited Away (far too much slime in this one, lol). It's a really unusual film, yet has all the elements that make a good Anime. I've not seen the other two, but I do have Howl's Moving Castle to watch some time soon. I've watched a lot of Anime recently, and have quite a few films and TV series to go through.

I've been watching a series of non-related horror films shown on a US TV channel for Hallowe'en (at least I think they were). The ones i've seen so far are:-

Afterdark Horrorfest 2006

Dark Ride
Penny Dreadful
Reincarnation (Rinne)
Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror
The Abandoned
The Gravedancers
The Hamiltons
The Tripper
Unrest
Wicked Little Things

Afterdark Horrorfest 2007

Borderland
Crazy Eights
Deaths of Ian Stone
Frontier(s) (Frontiere(s))
Lake Dead
Mulberry Street
Nightmare Man

I still have a couple to go for 2007, and all the ones from 2009 and 2010, but i've been pleasantly surprised by the quality. A few of them have been bad (not in a good way), some of them have been bad (in a good way), but the majority have been quite good, which is a bonus considering I expected them all to be bad in a bad way.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 am

I watched West Is West last night. It is really good, Om Puri is an amazing actor and the storyline fitted in perfectly where East Is East left off.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ravi Oli on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:30 am

Clifford wrote:Going through the anime recently, namely Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle...

Fuji Xerox have used in the past quite a few Miyazaki characters for product development code names including Nausicaa, Sheeta, Pazu, Chihiro....
I'll have to kill you all now I've told you that....
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby tris on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 am

Saw "The Descendants" (directed by Alexander Payne nad with G Clooney) a few nights ago... I thought it created a really clever balance between tragedy and sadness and farcical humour (please don't correct my spelling you Yanks!).
It was nice to see how the characters evolved and how tragedy brought them together... I guess there's some hope for me after my recent accident on my scooter (my elbow and forearm now have about ten bolts and screws in them and a nice big metal plate and I can only bend it to 90 degrees, with considerable pain involved, and my girlfriend dumped me while I was in hospital!) :cry:
Let's hope this little tragedy will lead to a resurrection with some laughs and farcical humour every once in a while! :haha:
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 am

tris wrote:I guess there's some hope for me after my recent accident on my scooter (my elbow and forearm now have about ten bolts and screws in them and a nice big metal plate and I can only bend it to 90 degrees, with considerable pain involved, and my girlfriend dumped me while I was in hospital!) :cry:
You and daftbeaker will need to compare notes on your metalwork. I still have a pin in my left ankle from twenty-odd years ago. Attempting to negotiate a corner on a Kawasaki 750 Turbo. The negotiations didn't go well. Great bike in a straight line, though...
(And my girlfriend dumped me while I was in hospital too. Then she burnt my house down, with me in it. Lovely girl, but poorly medicated.)

Mrs. H. and I watched Starship Troopers last night. We've watched it before, or so I thought. I know what happens in it, I know the actors, where the surprises are, all that stuff. She claims never to have seen it. Bearing in mind that we've been together since before it came out (in 1997), I don't see how this is possible. I mean, if it was a music biopic, I might go and see that with muso friends, but a sci-fi / space opera? She drags me to see them, not the other way round.

Also, Paul Verhoeven directs good movie shocker!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Just back from The Artist.

pieces o'nine

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 am

Oh FSM I caught a bit of Sacha Baron Cohen's film 'Bruno' the other night in which a Christian Zealot was trying to cure Bruno of his homosexuality saying "my lips were made to speak the words of Jesus" and Bruno said "really, I was thinking they are the perfect lips for a blow job".
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:52 am

Brooklyn's Finest .

Oi loiked it

Bit on the grim side , moight be overly depressing .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Gary Oldman. Very good film, with a strong cast of characters. It's around 2 hours long, which really isn't long enough for the story itself, but I felt they did as well as they could have done in that time. I have the BBC series to watch too, so I will be comparing them at a later date.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors