What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 am

PKMKII wrote:
Arkaeon wrote:While artistic audience members much prefer real actors, the Oscar Awards prefer to give prizes out to Movie Stars. Even a legendary great actor will often have to wait until they reach their cameo-stage "with...as..." phase to get recognized by the Academy. I know that sounds like the Oscar has no meaning, but Johnny Depp still hasn't gotten one, so there's proof for you.

And on the rare occasion they do give it to a real actor, there's inevitably a celebrity media backlash against it going to someone who, like, hasn't even been on the cover of People magazine.

They have to make a certain type of movie though. You wont get an Oscar for playing a pirate... :cry:

For example Ray Milland was an action hero (he was Welsh by the way) and later in horror films when he lost his looks, but he won an Oscar for 'Lost Weekend' in which he played an alcoholic.

Johnny Depp was in one of my favourite films of all time 'Ed Wood' in which he played the title role but the Oscar went to Martin Landau for his portrayal of a drugged up Bela Lugosi.

I think there's a clear message there...Johnny Depp needs to play an aging drugged up, alcoholic Pirate at the end of his career struggling with the demons of his past and a huge sense of failure.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Continuing on in my 80s slasher/horror flick phase, I watched Slumber Party Massacre last night. Formulaic, with every possible stupid decision being made by the actresses, but quite enjoyable. Watch if you are a fan of this genre.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:07 pm

black bart wrote:I think there's a clear message there...Johnny Depp needs to play an aging drugged up, alcoholic Pirate at the end of his career struggling with the demons of his past and a huge sense of failure.

Keef? :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 am

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:I think there's a clear message there...Johnny Depp needs to play an aging drugged up, alcoholic Pirate at the end of his career struggling with the demons of his past and a huge sense of failure.

Keef? :haha:

Exactly. Johnny Depp in...The Keith Richards Story. Who'd play Jagger though? :lol: Knowing Depp's luck Daniel Day-Lewis would play Jagger and steal the film!

“’ere keef, ’ave you seen the price of these sausages?”
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 am

They've shown the Ace Ventura films on the last couple of weekends, always a good laugh.

Favourite quote:
If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 am

About qualifying for an Oscar:

Hey, now we know who all's on the board of the Academy!

- - - - -

Last movie I saw was the MST3k sendup of "The Starfighters," which was essentially an 80 minute propaganda film for how cool the Air Force was in 1964. There's lots of aerial footage, but nothing really happens during the film. By the time Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo get done with it, though, it's a sidesplitter comedy with airplanes in the background. Typical MST3k wonderousness. Now, go refuel!
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm

The Time Traveller's Wife. Mrs. H. loves the book, and shouted all through the movie about all the stuff that was wrong with the movie because it was different in the book. I have no idea if it was a good movie or not, as I haven't read the book. Yet.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Just got back from Woman in Black.

I quite liked it, although I enjoyed the crowd reactions around me as much as the film. I went with a friend who jumps, shrieks, and grabs the arm of the person next to her at any 'scary' moment. Well, she used to. I gave her the Glare of Death when she grabbed my arm and shrieked at a Harry Potter film (no, I'm not kidding), so now she just lunges halfway out of her seat, catches herself, quickly says, "I'm not grabbing!" and sits down again. There were some jumpers and shriekers in the rows ahead of us, too.

Also, I quite liked it. He may have a good chance to transition successfully from child actor to adult actor.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby PKMKII on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:Also, I quite liked it. He may have a good chance to transition successfully from child actor to adult actor.

It helped that his big "child actor" role went on into his early adulthood.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:54 pm

PKMKII wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:Also, I quite liked it. He may have a good chance to transition successfully from child actor to adult actor.

It helped that his big "child actor" role went on into his early adulthood.

And perhaps that the character himself was growing into early adulthood?
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 am

I keep getting 'The Woman in Black' confused with 'The Woman in white' by Wilkie Collins.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 am

black bart wrote:I keep getting 'The Woman in Black' confused with 'The Woman in white' by Wilkie Collins.

You and me both, mate. The Woman in Black is apparently co-screenwritten by Jane Goldman, AKA Mrs. Jonathan Woss. Nice to see I'm not the only bloke being kept by his wife...

Daniel Radcliffe did Equus in the West End, including the full-frontal nudity bit. I think that put the whole 'child actor' thing behind him.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby bacon on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 am

Arkaeon wrote:Last movie I saw was the MST3k sendup of "The Starfighters," which was essentially an 80 minute propaganda film for how cool the Air Force was in 1964. There's lots of aerial footage, but nothing really happens during the film. By the time Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo get done with it, though, it's a sidesplitter comedy with airplanes in the background. Typical MST3k wonderousness. Now, go refuel!

Oh great, now the song from Starfighters is in my head. Of course, the best scene is when they try out their poopie suits. :idiot:

Finally saw The King's Speech. I loved it. Saw a few other movies the past few days, but nothing else has really stood out too much.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

The Ice Storm is on TV. Damn, that's a good movie. Not a lot of explosions or car chases, but a pretty good story and an amazing cast.

Ang Lee rocks.

Also, Sigourney Weaver.
:lech:
That is all.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Just got Netflix. Watched The Princess Bride. It is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen.
Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors