What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Calena wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Calena wrote:@Zankou: We told you so! :)

Yeah, I know, but i had to see it. I can't just watch a third of the series.

I know, I know. But it's really sad, isn't it?

I know...I can't get past the flying thing.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Baggy on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:01 pm

A Cock and Bull Story. Strangely funny film about a group of British comedians including Steve Coogan making a film of the "unfilmable" book "The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy".
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy"
Baggy
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Vulcan Tofu on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:22 pm

The Bourne Ultimatum. Good movie, but a bit hard to tolerate if you're sitting six rows behind the screen and are prone to motion sickness. :?
Bother, bother, bother...
Vulcan Tofu
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rainswept on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Bridge to Terabithia.

I waited a long time to watch this movie, because I really loved the book as a kid, and the CGI in the preview made it look like they went in entirely the wrong direction with it.

I was very happy to learn that the previews were stupid and in no way connected to the movie lol. It actually did a pretty damn good job of updating and adapting the book from what I can remember (which isn't all that much considering I read it 20 years ago.) The faithfulness to the book can be explained partly because the author's son was a producer and screenwriter, and the book is based on him. She's still around giving input as well.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:11 pm

I just watched Punch Drunk Love.

It was...interesting.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 am

The Darwin Awards. Pretty funny.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby jmb on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Rainswept wrote:Bridge to Terabithia.

I waited a long time to watch this movie, because I really loved the book as a kid, and the CGI in the preview made it look like they went in entirely the wrong direction with it.

The promotion was WAY off-base, to the point of almost being false advertising. When I saw it on its opening weekend, one family left about 45 minutes into it when the kids got bored.

Worse yet, the people who might have liked it didn't come.

If they have a movie similar to "My Girl" they shouldn't promote it as if it were "Narnia."

-jeremy
jmb
Ziti Zealot

Postby Calena on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:07 am

I wasn't watching it recently, but while looking for another movie in my DVD collection I stumbeld over Chronicles of Riddick. While it wasn't a cult movie like "Pitch Black", I still liked it, I thought it was a decent sci-fi movie. I can remeber vaguely that there was talk the Chronicles ought to be a trilogy? I want to see the other two parts!
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Rainswept on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:27 pm

jmb wrote:
Rainswept wrote:Bridge to Terabithia.

The promotion was WAY off-base, to the point of almost being false advertising. When I saw it on its opening weekend, one family left about 45 minutes into it when the kids got bored.

Worse yet, the people who might have liked it didn't come.

If they have a movie similar to "My Girl" they shouldn't promote it as if it were "Narnia."

-jeremy
I agree. Some dumbass decided the people who knew the book were already coming, and the people who don't would be pulled in to anything like Harry Potter / Narnina.

In the end I think they got the smallest possible audience for a good story. Idiots.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:27 pm

Factory Girl, it bored me.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Black Snake Moan. Not bad actually, the acting was quite good. I have never found Christina Ricci attractive, but either she's growing on me, or she's getting hotter.
Rainswept

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Transformers---Awesome.

Much better than the cartoons.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rainswept on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Dark City. Way overrated.
Rainswept

Postby Kielay on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 pm

I fell asleep to Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie... not cause it was bad... but because I was tired and bored.
"Those who think they know everything are an annoyance to those of us who do."
~Isaac Asimov
Kielay
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:30 am

I watched the first half of "Elvis 68 Comeback Special" yesterday evening. "Love me tender" is my least favourite Elvis song, so I found it hilarious when Elvis sang "Love me tender, love me true, you have made my life a wreck...". :D
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors