The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:18 pm

discussion welcome:

yes it is more "camp" than what I'd call classic B-movie, I still love it and if you want to know how old I am then check this out

I saw Tim Curry live at the Balboa before there was a movie RHPS- I'll never look at one of those now old fashioned coke chests the same again.

Oh and has anyone ever seen the British film "The Day the Earth Caught Fire"-- it is something else- Good B movie
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby vallerand on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:20 pm

This is more of a memory than discussion. I've seen RHPS a few times but the first time was the best.
It was a late showing at the Bayview St Cinema in Camden, Maine. The audience was nearly as entertaining as the movie. Most of them were true fans. Flying toast, dancing audience members, a Greek chorus reciting with movie. It was a blast. We'd been warned so we sat in the back half of the theater enabling to see both the movie and audience.

No other viewing compared.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:39 pm

The audience is what makes RHPS- I can -and do- watch it at home on the DVD but it is not the same-

Audience Participation just doesn't cover it. I think I could make up a new verb-- RHPSing or something.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Re: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Postby beagle on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:09 am

anthrobabe wrote:Oh and has anyone ever seen the British film "The Day the Earth Caught Fire"-- it is something else- Good B movie

Saw it many years ago. It's the one set in the old Daily Express office in Fleet Street isn't it? If you liked that you might like "Defence of the Realm". Not Sci-Fi, but another about reporters digging something up that the government is determined to keep hidden. Seems to polarize opinion. Some like it, some not, possibly because it's a much revisited plot since (and before, in the case of "All the President's Men").
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:56 am

I think so-- the setting is a news office in Britian- I have it on VHS so I haven't seen it in a while.

It ends with this spooky countdown and then leaves one with a sense of anticipation- no real resolve- which I usually hate in a movie but it works in this because the idea is to make us the viewer think about what we are doing and what if?

I'll see if I can find Defense of the Realm- Thanks
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby johngalt on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Moderately entertaining, although they could have certainly chosen a sexier man than Tim Curry to play Frank-N-Furter. I hope they generally choose better in theatrical productions. :?
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 pm

For some reason Tim Curry was the perfect one for this-
He was in the theatrical version(s) also
Naturally this is the kind of fun that can only come out of Britain-- in the vein- OF Course not as masterful as Monty Python- but in the same

OMG what are they on and that is the funniest thing I have ever seen vein as Monty Python and Mr. Bean and Dr. Who.

So it was imported and he came with it...

and he works in the role for me

BTW I do blieve that Tim made a pretty hot pirate in Muppet Treasure Island also.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby mia primavera on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:39 am

saw this movie years and years ago, in a tiny, sweltering hot theatre. and yeah, all the good stuff was there--everyone in the audience (except me!), was in costume, there were flying slices of toast, there was a a pre-movie show with audience members doing song and dance numbers from the movie, everyone was chanting along with the script...

i feel no need to ever do this again, but it was a very fun night, without a doubt.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain
mia primavera
Ziti Zealot

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:08 am

I like to attend with "virgins" that is what makes it fun- otherwise I'd probably just stay home- like almost anything the first time is either a spectacular success or a dismal failure(with RHPS there is almost never an in between)-I've had people look at me and never talk to me again and I've made a couple of life long friends via the RHPS
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors