David Lynch

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed May 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Honestly, I never could figure any of them out and would tend to agree with singi. Trying to explain them is like trying to describe a dream- they're just all over the place! I am a visually-oriented person and Lynch's use of tableaux and other design elements on his sets always thrills me. I remember a scene in Twin Peaks where there were three guys all dressed alike and posed the same way in the background of a bar scene for no apparent reason, almost just to see if you'd notice.

Oh, DaveL, I loved the midget! He was in the Julee Cruise video, too, as the narrator. The whole thing was about broken hearts and hearing it come from the small guy seemed to illustrate how small a broken-hearted person feels. I guess that's kind of trite, but Lynch seems to like that sort of corny emotional thing played with a bizarre twist. One of Lynch's pieces from the video, "I'm Hurt Bad", is played on the juke box in the first Twin Peaks episode.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Blackspot_Isaiah on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:04 pm

I was a huge fan of Twin peaks but I guess it was just too- well, wierd- for mainstream televsion audiences. I would have loved to see what would have happened if the series had been given a third season. Too bad we will never know.
"Most people just take themselves too damn seriously, which is why they act like damn fools."
- Robert Anton Wilson
Blackspot_Isaiah
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby mia primavera on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:50 pm

I love Twin Peaks--I saw it when it first came out, and I dressed like the Log Lady for Halloween one year. Haven't re-watched it in ages, though.

Eraserhead I didn't like as much, although it does certainly have some memorable images. (Pulsating chicken, anyone?) I love Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive, Blue Velvet, and Wild at Heart. I've never seen Dune, but I'm gonna go see it tomorrow--it's playing at a revival theatre near me.

I agree with what folks have said here--David Lynch films are often as cryptic and mysterious as dreams, and as with many dreams, impossible to interpret. With Lynch's films, I just like to sit back, and enjoy the ride.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain
mia primavera
Ziti Zealot

Postby SeaTizzy on Sat May 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I LOVE David Lynch, I wish INLAND EMPIRE was coming to DVD sooner (I missed it when it was showing in a theater near me :cry: ).. Blue Velvet is in my top ten favorite films of all time, and The Elephant Man almost made me cry.. I haven't seen Dune, Twin Peaks, and Eraserhead yet though.. Oh and Mulholland Dr. is one of the best movies of this decade.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" --- Dr. Strangelove
SeaTizzy
Conchigliette Convert

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors