Discworld, anyone?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Fri May 12, 2006 11:43 pm

I just started The Wee Free Men. In some ways, Tiffany reminds me of Susan, especially in the same pragmatic approach to the world.

Well, no one has posted in this thread since the last time I was here. I finished The Wee Free Men. Good read. I have A Hat Full of Sky on order with the library.

A question...is my memory playing tricks on me, or did Death not appear as a character in The Wee Free Men? If so, I think that is the only Discworld book he has not been in...and I have read almost all of them.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Bob the Unbeliever wrote:I also enjoy Vime's wife's rather deep insight, when it comes around. Fifth Elephant has some astute examples, especially at the very end, when they are negotiating the fat deposit contracts with the Dwarves. Some of the puns during that are hilarious.

BCB's. ROFLMAO!

Has anybody run into the Compact Discworld versions? I picked up some Discworld books on hold from the library, and "Mort" was about 2" x 2"! Wot's this? Good for camping and transit!
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ke_mikiao on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:06 am

my favorite TP book (that i remember.....its been a while and few series ago) is either Guards! Guards! (for the dedication part) or Pyramids (for You Bastard, the world's greatest mathmatician)

Love Death......you have to........he's so....lovable (and yes....i AM trying to get on his good side)
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby Swatopluk on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 am

I hope you don't have a big savage dog.
(and don't invite him for "Cripple Mr. Onion", he can't get the hang of it.)
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:28 am

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:WANT!

Don't suppose they're hijackable...

Depends on your relationship with your library (or bookstore)... they're small enough to be slipped through a barely cracked window. :(

I likes the library, though....

They also may be UK only editions, as I found them on amazon.co.uk but not immediately elsewhere. Being Commonwealth helps sometimes.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Grey on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Yesh, the library is good.

I think I read everything Discworld-y in my library. :cry:

Started reading Mort, and have hopped around through the series, as my library doesn't have them in any real order.

I like Sam Vines, Susan Sto Heilt, and Carrot the best, methinks. And Death of course.

I think the best post script was, "The Truth is out there, but lies are inside your head" from The Truth.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Swatopluk on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:31 pm

THE TRUTH WILL MAKE YOU FRET!

I heard, the landscape is regularly hit by hugs balls of flaming rock but the Patrician covers it up.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Grey on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:05 pm

That and the snake babies.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Swatopluk on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:10 pm

In Lancre everything is possible.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Last_Hussar on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:03 pm

Vimes and the Watch- love that copper brain of Vimes. Patrician for the politics- always love to read historical accounts of 'diplomacy' like his.

I keep reading Nightwatch- so well constructed.

Favourite pun- 'Who do you want to be remembered as the greatist horn player- you orsome felonious monk?' I wonder how many people got it. :worship:
Of course I live in a fantasy world, this one doesn't have a door policy.
Last_Hussar
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Last_Hussar wrote:Vimes and the Watch- love that copper brain of Vimes. Patrician for the politics- always love to read historical accounts of 'diplomacy' like his.

Favourite pun- 'Who do you want to be remembered as the greatist horn player- you orsome felonious monk?' I wonder how many people got it. :worship:

I suspect that I'm in the "hunh? <with blank look>" camp. Care to enlighten us Yanks? (I know, a pun is not funny if you have to explain it ... but how ELSE can we learn? :D )
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby vallerand on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 am

Bob the Unbeliever wrote:
Last_Hussar wrote:Vimes and the Watch- love that copper brain of Vimes. Patrician for the politics- always love to read historical accounts of 'diplomacy' like his.

I suspect that I'm in the "hunh? <with blank look>" camp. Care to enlighten us Yanks? (I know, a pun is not funny if you have to explain it ... but how ELSE can we learn? :D )

felonious monk = Thelonious Monk well known jazz pianist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelonious_Monk

There's many of those throw away lines in Soul Music. I seem to find another every time I read it.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 am

There is also an animated cartoon mini series of Soul Music (and Wyrd Sisters). When the band goes on tour through the Sto plains the creativity simply runs amok :D .
Christopher Lee voices Death in both, btw.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby vallerand on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:27 am

I've seen those, my library has them.

Wyrd Sisters is one of the best reasons to reread Shakespeare. If you don't KNOW Hamlet and MacBeth you miss so much!
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:11 am

I have read that Americans (aka Merkins by hardened fans) have a problem understanding the Wyrd Sisters adaption because of the strong British local accents. I had no problems with that. But even David Attenborough of BBC fame had to fight against him being dubbed for US audiences :? .
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors