What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:We just watched Blue Velvet. More Lynch strangeness, but not quite at the same deeply disturbed level
..but In Dreams by Roy Orbison is never going to sound the same again.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby bacon on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Lynch films are always a safe bet if you are looking for a strange film.

I think the strangest film I've watched is Weekend.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 am

"Jacob's Ladder" might just give some of you the screaming heebie-jeebies...
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 am

I tried to watch 'Perfume' on Saturday Night but found it:
a. Strange and
b. I just wanted someone to kill the main character who's only goal in life appeared to be taking the lives of young women in the attempt to preserve their scent!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Clifford on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm

A Tale of Two Sisters (the Korean version) was rather crazy ... though sadly it's horror factor was ruined by an R&B band playing loudly behind the yurt where we were watching the film
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:25 am

Lynch and Cronenberg will have to top the list for weird films. One specifically not mentioned here (I am not going through every page lol) is Mulholland Drive. Try figuring that one out. Or Naked Lunch.

I thoroughly enjoyed Being John Malkovich, especially the part where he enters his own head. That's completely strange, if not a little disturbing. I had an Aphex Twin moment watching that bit.

One other film I think may qualify for strange is Irréversible. It's a French film set in Paris that starts in the present and goes back in time in snippets, just like Memento, so you can see something happening, then find out why it happens. I will warn you now though. This film starts off brutally and ends brutally. Very, very brutally. It is definitely not for children, and only for the strongest-willed adults. I repeat; only for strong-willed adults. Never has a film made me feel as uncomfortable as this one, which is why I include it here. It's not strange in the traditional sense, but in the sense of how it makes you feel. When it was over, I felt a little numb over what had just happened, and i'm not one to usually shirk violence or brutality in films (i'm a horror nut).
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors