What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Duke on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:45 pm

Oh, lovely. I'll remember to avoid that one... :roll:

What The Bleep Do We Know was strange, and less realistic that Star Trek.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby deadgenome on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I was looking into that one after a mate told me about it and I thought it was only fair to check it's credentials. Very wierd and definitely bobbins.
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm

The Imposters is a good one. its about these two actors who stow-away on a cruise liner after being accused of attacking this famous stage actor. the twist is, nobdoy on the ship is who they seem...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby SpaghettiSawUs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:24 pm

I have to go with Society, which was just awesome and totally crap at the same time. As an analogy it has very powerful anti-capitalism message regarding human exploitation: it being a not very human ideal....
Its also well worth a trip down memory lane as far as special effects and fashion go, for my money anyway.

I love Requiem for a Dream... but its definitely weird and is often found disturbing by some people (not one to watch on a night in with your girlfriend IMO).

Pi, Amores Perros, 21 Grams: all weird in subject and artistic construction, and bloody good films to boot.

Regs
spags
FSM: Welcome HIM as your Lord and Savour!
SpaghettiSawUs
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby smurf on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:05 pm

I expect Eraserhead has already been mentioned.
David Lynch is always good for a bit of weirdness.
I particularly like the sound track with its ambient industrial noise but its not the sort of music I'd listen to for fun.
smurf
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Lethe Gray on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:02 am

I saw this one film several years ago in a theater, it was called "Until the End of the World". While the first half was pretty good, slightly near-future weirdness and a followable, interesting pair of people... The second half of the movie was *utter crap* and could have been completely cut. It involved an EMP and crashing somewhere in Australia, and people getting addicted to downloaded videos of dreams (which were sadly very grainy over-exposed films of ... nothing in particular... how they could cause anyone to care what they were let alone become addicted was beyond me). Meh, I prefer the first part of the movie and in fact recommend watching it until about halfway through. Once that plane starts to fall, time to turn the dvd off. :)
Am I to burn in noodly hell because I am allergic to Wheat? Am I condemned to a life and afterlife without beer? Is there no cheese without the holy liquid from cows that I can substitute? *cries*
Lethe Gray
Conchigliette Convert

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:49 am

I just watched a German movie called 7 Dwarves.

Just think of the best and worst tryptamines you've ever had (and all the ones in between) and mix it with Snow White (the fairytale - not the drug).

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Multicultural Television Stations
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Duke on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I watched Clockwork Orange last weekend. Weird, but not as weird as they come. I liked it.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Hippie on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:53 pm

singidunum wrote:The Wall (almost forgot about that one)

you had to be on acid to understand that movie
-------------------------------->
Hippie
Ziti Zealot

Postby dukes on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Duke wrote:I watched A Clockwork Orange last weekend. Weird, but not as weird as they come. I liked it.

Duke

Much as I like Stanley Kubrick, I thought in this case the book was better.
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------
Ballad of John and Yoko
dukes
Lord of Linguini

Postby Duke on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Then I must read the book. Let's hope they have it in the library.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby deadgenome on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:42 pm

see if you can find the UK edition, the american one cut the last chapter for some unknown reason
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Duke on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:31 pm

I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the tip!

The library's closed for today, but I'll pop in tomorrow. Or I could always order it from Amazon, their book prices are out of this world. By that I mean really really low.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby smurf on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 am

Kung Fu Hustle is very odd.
A kung fu film with a Roadrunner chase sequence , notes from musical instruments used as weapons , a kung fu master transforming himself into a giant toad and lots and lots more of similar wierdness .
smurf
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Nullifidian on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:14 am

deadgenome wrote:see if you can find the UK edition, the american one cut the last chapter for some unknown reason

Although this might be a bit late, for future reference:

The Norton Critical Edition restores the final chapter of Clockwork Orange but doesn't have the dictionary in the back like the first American edition did, which might be useful for some people. Since I took two years of Russian, I had no problem understanding the NCE without the dictionary.
Nullifidian
Conchigliette Convert

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors