What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:30 am

um.... this
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Was that some sort of music video? :o

Strange.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 pm

yeah, its some kind of French Metal band of some kind...

wait...

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:29 am

To be honest, I couldn't tell if that was English or French metal... :D

I never listen to the words, anyway.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby ThorGonzo on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:33 pm

C.H.U.D. (Cannibalistic Humanoid Undeground Dwellers) w/John Heard,
Daniel Stern.

Equinox w/Frank Bonner, aka Herb Tarlek of WKRP in Cincinnati fame.

I agree w/Grey on "Army of Darkness" weird and comical.
spaghetti is a gateway pasta.
ThorGonzo
Ziti Zealot

The Bed Sitting Room

Postby FloridaJudy on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 pm

A bizarre film by Richard Lester (yup, same guy who made "A Hard Day's Night") from 1969: The Bed Sitting Room. Here's the plot summary from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064074/plotsummary

The film begins with the BBC (Frank Thornton) telling us through the facade of an old television that this is the third, or is it the fourth?, anniversary of the shortest war in history, lasting 2 hours and 28 minutes. England is now a barren landscape, littered with derelict cars and buildings, hills of old boots, broken crockery, and other debris. Forty million people perished and there are only 20 known survivors. The Queen did not survive, and of the 20 known survivors the next in line for the throne is a Mrs Ethel Schroake of 393a High Street, Leytonstone. Among the other survivors are Ralph Richardson (O Lucky Man!) as Lord Fortnum of Alamein, who isn't looking forward to his impending mutation into a bed sitting room. Michael Hordern is Bules Martin, who wears a 18-carat Hovis bread ring. Spike Milligan is a postman who wanders around and delivers some memorable dialogue, for example: "And in come the three bears - the daddy bear said, 'Who's been sleeping in my porridge?' - and the mummy bear said, 'that's no porridge, that was my wife' ". Arthur Lowe is slowly turning into a parrot (which is then eaten by Spike Milligan), while his wife, the owner of her own death certificate, turns into a wardrobe. His daughter is pregnant with a strange creature, which she has held inside her for seventeen months. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are a pair of policemen who perpetually tell the others to "keep moving!". Moore growls a lot and turns into a dog at the end. Marty Feldman is a wellington-boot-wearing nurse.

I don't expect you can get much weirder than that!

God save Mrs. Ethel Schroake!
FloridaJudy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Duke on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:54 pm

It sounds like a fantastic movie, I really want to see it. :D

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

The Bed Sitting Room

Postby FloridaJudy on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:39 pm

I haven't seen The Bed Sitting Room in over thirty years, but some memorable scenes are still in my mind:

The wedding scene, in which when asked to read from "The Good Book", the preacher begins to read one of the steamier scenes from Lady Chatterly's Lover

The police car which hangs from a hot-air balloon, as well as the Underground train pulled by a guy peddling a bicycle (creative solutions to the lack of petrol).

Oh, and it even has a midget! This is definitely a Pastafarian movie.
FloridaJudy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned this film before, but just in case some newcomers have heard of it... Theif and the Cobler? good miramax film, which didn't actually rip off aladdin....

also, there was this mockumentary made by Pete Jackson about his crew researching this new zealand film producer in around the late 1800's, and they made up that he invented crude colour fotage and sound looping with film and even a full minute of plane flight on flim way before any of them were really invented. the greatest part is in either a commentary or a special feature, Peter Jackson talks about how he showed it to some new zealand friends who were either living near where they said the guy lived, and they thought it was completely serious....

also this one mockumentary by the same guy who did grizzley man... about the loch ness... a german guy. pretty strange.

~Qwerty

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:28 pm

I saw a movie last night, two movies, rather, that were extremely strange. One was an Italian movie, Cemetery Man, the other was American, Jacob's Ladder. Since I haven't slept in a long, long time, they seem even stranger right now....

Anyway, it was weird. I better get some shut-eye.....

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Goat Starer on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:47 am

Repo Man would be quite high
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:04 pm

on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I saw a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

it was actually the first time I saw the film, so i think I'll still have to rent it...

but yeah, that's probably already on the list...

~Qwerty

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Nigga Tony on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 am

Mulholland Drive
A Clockwork Orange
Memento

those three top my "this is weird shit" list
The fool hath said in his heart, "There is no Flying Spaghetti Monster".
Nigga Tony
Conchigliette Convert

Postby deadgenome on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:14 pm

saw 'House of a Thousand Corpses' by Rob Zombie the other day, now that is one screwed up horror film...
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby RandomSam on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:31 pm

The Audition probably belongs in this category too, it has some lovely scenes of a girl gutting off a man's feet with a cheese wire...
RandomSam
Cannelloni Cannoneer

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors