What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 am

I actually liked TRON. It may be flawed but what a great attempt :twisted: , especially considering the limited means of the day.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:35 am

Oh I liked and still like TRON- it just has this surreal feel to it
it was a great attempt- I wasn't meaning to dis it at all-it just gives me a weird feeling-

japanese movies and their phallic symbols are amazing- I mean a drill that spins and goes through walls- only in Japan- after all they are the creators of the Hat of Death(not sure that is the real nome saw it on Ninja Saturday Theater as a kid)- a sort of spining helmet on a string that when thrown over an enemy ninjas head decapitates said enemy and then can be safely retreived by throwing ninja- I wish we'd get some Japanese pirates in here that would be cool.

And there is an outerspace movie- Warning from Space directed by Koji Shima- where very large star fish come to earth to warn us off our evil ways- kinda like Gort even they only have one eye too- but there is one scene in this 50's movie that is absolute gold- it is where one of the starfish ppl get into a transmutation machine to become human in appearance and the sequence is amazing-
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:39 am

Casshern too is quite weird (despite an actually straight storyline).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby boghog on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 am

anthrobabe wrote:only in Japan- after all they are the creators of the Hat of Death(not sure that is the real nome saw it on Ninja Saturday Theater as a kid)- a sort of spining helmet on a string that when thrown over an enemy ninjas head decapitates said enemy and then can be safely retreived by throwing ninja-

Grr... ripping off James Bond. That was Oddjob's gimmick in Goldfinger.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:42 am

well I gotta see goldfinger again- never been into bond- but I think the helmet of death was from like a 40's or early 50's movie so which was first?

I'm going to check it out- just for nostalgia sake I'd like to find it again.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby boghog on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:43 am

anthrobabe wrote:well I gotta see goldfinger again- never been into bond- but I think the helmet of death was from like a 40's or early 50's movie so which was first?

It would've been the Helmet of Death, then. Goldfinger came out in the mid-60s.

Grr... James Bond ripping off Japanese movies...
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47 am

There was and is a lot of reciprocal magpieing between Japan and the West concerning movie elements/plots/etc.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:49 am

lots of reciprocity

and after all godzilla is a result of our western blowing up of nuclear things
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Swatopluk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 am

Clearly inspired by Harryhausen's Beast from 20000 Fathoms
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 am

naturally!-there is a good pic of the box at IMDB.

and the entire phallic thing can be seen in the same light- we are real men no matter what you did at the end of WW2, we are not whipped and we can dish it out too
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:56 am

Just saw Tetsuo II: Body Hammer. Not as strange as the first. Still strange as in all sorts of deadly metal stuff coming out of the body, but no drill bits coming out of the crotch (so no screen shots sorry).

BTW - regarding the 'american influence' - Japan was occupied by the US for some years after WWII and there are still some major US military bases there (Yokohama has one of the largest naval bases outside the US), so there was probably some inspiration from imported movies. Having said that, there are a great deal of American movies that are ripped off from Japan. King Kong being one of the first. The Star Wars series was also inspired by a Japanese movie, The Hidden Fortress, by Akira Kurosawa. And we won't go into the relationship between 3 Amigos & 7 Samurai, because 3 Amigos was crap.

Regarding James Bond - can't speak for every movie, but I do know that the cable car fight scene with Jaws in Moonraker was a direct ripoff of a famous war movie from the '60s or '70s that I can't remember the name of. Edit: Where Eagles Dare

That's my rant anyway

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Borrowed Concepts
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 am

I think that is part of what makes the topic interesting
finding all this borrowing and inspiration between the two places-

I don't know who it is but their is a group that offers 1 million dollars to the 1st person who comes up with something totally completely new music wise-- the idea is that everything has been done and is only repeated with changes.

Interesting idea and probably says something about the way we humans are wired- we just think alike on a certain deep down level. On the surface we are so varried-- we are just madhouses of variety but that something makes us tick and it is hardwired into our biology

Oh, and have you seen Yume(1990) by Akira Kurosawa? not really strange-
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:34 am

Oh the wierdest movie I've ever seen was Cube: 2...Man that thing was wierd...and the ending just SUCKED! I should see Cube: 1...

I'd still advise you all see it for cheap laughs!*

*note cube is not a comedy it is a horror/thriller.
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby guy_incognito on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 pm

Gloria T. Camel wrote:Oh the wierdest movie I've ever seen was Cube: 2...Man that thing was wierd...and the ending just SUCKED! I should see Cube: 1...

I'd still advise you all see it for cheap laughs!*

*note cube is not a comedy it is a horror/thriller.

Cube was really great film. I heard very bad things about the sequels, so I avoided them.

The film Pi was great and very odd. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/
guy_incognito
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:02 pm

"Terror in Tiny Town" with an all midget cast, a 'singing' western; I'll will go to my grave wondering why was there a penguin in the barber shop of a cow town? Why?!?! Sin. WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."
Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors