V for Vendetta

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby ChowMein on Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:00 am

Say Qwert,
Since you mention the great Bats.,I just bought and watched Batman Begins on Saturday past.

I'd given up hope of an intelligent Bat flick true to Dark Knight.Do you have any information on a,"not made for five-year-old little girls",sequel?
I'm all warm and gushy inside at the thought of those Hollywood bozoes finally hiring someone into their ranks who do not believe, for God only knows what reason,that we viewers are not all that STOOOPUD!!

Those female parental unit fornicators seem to scratch and pick at the centre of their collective gluts with one hand while the other's grasping something opposite its partner wondering why the box office revenues are declining.

I am greiving at the loss of the intellegent person(s),when their time comes will Hollywood revert back to spooning out Pablum to picky eaters?
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:51 am

so wait... what did you think of batman begins?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby anon1mat0 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:49 pm

BTW, it seems that the movie has stirred some sentiments because of the statements about the (about to be destroyed) parliament not being a building but a symbol, linking it to - guess :? - Osama Bin Laden.

Given that we seem to be moving toward that kind of neo-fascist state, the movie (I haven't read the graphic novel) seemed very relevant.
Nicolás

From Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
anon1mat0
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby SpisBoy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi there, I have a question. I haven't seen the movie, but I read in a newspaper review that V is constantly saying words that start with "v".

Is this true? If it is, then this movie must be hilarious!

"Vello, Vy name is V. I am the Vaporous Victor of the Victorian Vizarchy. Vallowed be thy Vame... To Ve, or not to Ve, that is the Vestion. Voluminous Vortex Volatile Virgin Vasquez, please Veport to my Velocity. Vroom, my Volvo Vibrates with the Virile Vengeance of Vrutabagas. Vestow thy Vincezno...

Sorry, I just imagined this and I thought it was really funny, got carried away...
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Arrrgh!" -Piraticus 13:7

http://home.earthlink.net/~meximiliano/
SpisBoy
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby johngalt on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:49 am

When introducing himself to Evey, he launches into a soliloquy in which most of the words start with V. After that, he speaks normally. It actually sounds really cool and it is well written.
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ChowMein on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:57 am

Hello Qwerty,
Oh ...Yes..I LOVED Batman Begins,Have yet to see V though.
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:38 pm

one good thing they did with batman begins, and with the recent willy wonka and the chocolate factory, was taht it wasn't the same as the original book.

originally, in WW, it was man (willy wonka) helps boy (charlie). but in the recent re-make, the boy helped the man. so it was simmilar story, but different enough not to be just a re-hash.

same with batman begins. in the comics, batman starts out much differently. he immideatly wants to train and stuff, making him seem a little perfect. but in the movie, he first does some stupid things.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby FireFox on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:34 am

johngalt wrote:When introducing himself to Evey, he launches into a soliloquy in which most of the words start with V. After that, he speaks normally. It actually sounds really cool and it is well written.

basically all on the movie, will have to see if the local store has the book it in print form

in the film he often spouts bits from (I assume) banned books. heck this is one of the ways he connects with Evy. then again the whole Evy 'Conversion' thing felt rushed, particularly once she worked out what was up.

I did think Steven Fry was rather good and the person next to me still thought Fry was V until after Fry was said to be killed based on the French greating and the egg on toast bit.

I have a fealling that that movie will become a standard 'English film' text for study in future (and the fact it has an R13 rating in NZ). there was a lot of little imagery things that one could endlessly over analyse

oh and the dominos just rocked

S
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby Entropy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:23 am

FireFox wrote:I have a fealling that that movie will become a standard 'English film' text for study in future (and the fact it has an R13 rating in NZ). there was a lot of little imagery things that one could endlessly over analyse

I imagine you aren't refering to the language, but to Britain. While the comics were written by a Brit, it was set in Britain, and most or all supporting actors were Brits, the only person involved in making it that was a Brit was the cinematographer. V and Evey weren't even Brits. No, this is a Wachowski film all the way, which is a much greater honor than being a British film.
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby fusiontortellini on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:58 am

Just got back from seeing this on IMAX. Definitely worth it if you can find one.

They did a very good job of sticking to the graphic novel; the few additions were spiritually compatible.

I'd have preferred V to be more flamboyant and baroque, but that's because I like baroque flamboyance. I suppose they had to make him more realiztic.

And Natalie Portman was tremendous -- she had to carry a lot of the film, since her counterpart was in a mask. Hugo Weaving did a very good job of using his voice (what a voice!) and his body to convey feelings.

Go see it!
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.
fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby FireFox on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Entropy wrote:
FireFox wrote:I have a fealling that that movie will become a standard 'English film' text for study in future (and the fact it has an R13 rating in NZ). there was a lot of little imagery things that one could endlessly over analyse

I imagine you aren't refering to the language, but to Britain. While the comics were written by a Brit, it was set in Britain, and most or all supporting actors were Brits, the only person involved in making it that was a Brit was the cinematographer. V and Evey weren't even Brits. No, this is a Wachowski film all the way, which is a much greater honor than being a British film.

In NZ studying 'English' is more about learning ways of using the language and alternates, so you have a 'speech' unit looking at doing a public talk, a 'research' unit, not suprisingly undertaking research on a topic, 'static images' looking at how to use still images to convy a message, or an interpreation of a piece of text.

in the 'Film' section one looks at ideas like: symbolism, maintaining a nerrative, 'filling in back story', imparting ideas with and without a mallot*, providing addtional info without it being obvious as well techniques.
So most people I know use the term 'English film' to convy the idea the movie actally has a range of intelligence levels/depths of meaning and fits in a wide verity of 'techniques' as well. the film does not have to be 'English' (heck I studied Braveheart my sister did Gladiator) but rather have the 'ideas' well represented.

S

*e.g. I feel Lord of War would have been a lot more effective if it just ended with Cage standing back at the start after the 'shadow officer' released him, without the 'USA, Britian, France, China and Russia are BAD' words at the end
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby Entropy on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:46 am

I see, you're just a Kiwi. :P

Thanks for teaching me somethin', though.
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby E.Raser on Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:09 pm

Entropy wrote:I see, you're just a Kiwi. :P

Thanks for teaching me somethin', though.

I have seen the film just an hour ago. I like it, it is a good film.
All we have a mask,except the High Chancellor.
Very fine the interior design of the home of V.
But please, tell me, where you have found those wonderful red roses ?
O.K.
next 4th November:
i resti di quello che fu uno dei più potenti eserciti della storia risalgono in disordine le valli che avevano disceso con orgogliosa sicurezza. 4 november 1917 Diaz
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Duke on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 pm

I saw the movie version. I liked it very much.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Alpaca on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:52 pm

Just saw the movie.

Thought it was awesome, just in terms of spectacularity, if that's a word.

That is to say, it didn't impart any new truths or symbolisms or shock me or make me more aware or anything. If that's how I would have approached it, I would have walked away feeling my intelligence was insulted. (Okay, we get it, government evil. Move on.)

But as a cinematic experience, it was pretty awesome. No complex structure, twists and turns, whatever ('cept maybe the jail scenes), but in essence the movie ran exactly the same way and to the same destination as a certain subway car. Underground, rather, being British. It just accelerated forward until the Tchaikovsky and the fireworks.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors