V for Vendetta

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

V for Vendetta

Postby TheArchitect on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:28 pm

Just read this a few days ago and loved it. Anyone else here read it?
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Gah! I borrowed from a friend, got to the part in which I did not want to put it down, and then my friend wanted it back!

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby johngalt on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:54 pm

That's why you do what I did, read the whole thing in one day. Sure, I had homework to do, but i was READING Gorramit!
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Duke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:41 pm

I watched the trailer to the movie. It looks fantastic.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby beagle on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Looks like I'm going to have to watch this. This plot description sounds like a darker adult version, covering some of the same themes, as the old

"Knights of God" childrens' series.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~whosoc/tides/27.3.html
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Duke on Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 pm

I am going to hunt down a copy of the comic book, sometime before the movie goes out......................I have to.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby TheArchitect on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Yeah, I have to say, no matter how good the movie will be, it will never measure up to the book. It can't possibly do so in the two or three hours it will take up. Definitely better to read it than to watch it. I have a feeling they will be leaving out a lot of important stuff from the movie too.
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Usually happens like that, when they turn a book into a movie. It's too bad, really.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby vallerand on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:30 am

I'm guessing this isn't a new Sue Grafton mystery? Thought she was up to R and wondered if I'd missed U.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby TheArchitect on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 am

Yeah, it is a graphic novel. By the same guy who did Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. About a terrorist-like hero who blows up buildings in a fascist Britain and wears a Guy Fawkes mask.
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:13 am

TheArchitect wrote:Yeah, it is a graphic novel. By the same guy who did Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. About a terrorist-like hero who blows up buildings in a fascist Britain and wears a Guy Fawkes mask.

Watchmen was great, in it's own special way.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby The Black Spot on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 pm

I really don't know about this. Some things work in comics, but they don't translate into films (none of the Batman films came close to "The Dark Knight Returns" even though that was the book that sparked the Batman revival).

V for Vendetta was very much a "Batman vs Big Brother" fantasy. An almost supernaturally enabled human being was able to be anywhere, do whatever he wished, and have access to everything.

It struck me as being naive because it swept under the carpet the implications of V's actions. Utter chaos, total anarchy. What system did V expect to emerge from this - a loving and benevolent society? More likely a splintered feudalist country, or a more vicious version of the previous regime.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby TheArchitect on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm

That is kind of the point. It is entirely possible that V is completely insane and really is doing nothing that will really help the world. The ramifications of this thing in fact he left to someone else to deal with. Evey deals with everything after V dies, so he doesn't really have to worry about it.
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby The Black Spot on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:58 pm

You know what, I hadn't considered the "Insane 'V' Theory". It makes the torture of Evey and the Vaudaville(sp?) concentration camp section more sensible.

I can accept a mad (but driven to an ideal) Batman, but I didn't think about a totally insane comic book hero.

Let me read it again.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Tattoo

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:40 am

A mate of mine loved V so much he had a tattoo of V done on his arm!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors