Album of the Day

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Album of the Day

Postby black bart on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 am

Just put a brief review of your album of the day...if you can be bothered.

Caravan: For girls who grow plump in the night.

OK it's very dated prog rock and I think 'In the Land of the Grey and Pink' is an even better album with Robert Wyatt on vocals, but this still deserves a listen. It reminds me of when I was in school and I love the combination of rock guitars, pounding bass and violin.

Stand out tracks: Memory Lain, Hugh/Headloss and The Dog, The Dog, he's at it Again.

As far as I know had absolutely no influence on any other music but I don't give a monkey's.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Album of the Day

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 am

I see this thread is going like a rocket.

I was hoping to get some good tips for my music collekshun.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:48 pm

"Boots Met My Face", Admiral Fallow.

Celtic-tinged folk-pop, with eclectic instrumentation like oboes, flutes and harmoniums. It is dark and bitter, but not in an 'open bleeding wound' way like, say, Glasvegas. More like Belle & Sebastian meet Spike-era Elvis Costello, and get really drunk and maudlin on gin.

It was recorded and produced by a former member of The Delgados, a group I remember from the days I was flirting with punk (The Delgados, The Ranters and The Usual Suspects were a standard Glasgow west-end pub Saturday night line-up back in about 1995 or so. They went on to critical acclaim. We went on to "didn't you used to be in a band?").

Stand out track for me is "Bomb Through The Town". It's got loud, it's got quiet, it's got decent lyrics, and it's sung in the singer's own accent, which is always a plus in my book.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Ron Sexsmith, by... er... Ron Sexsmith.

I learned a lot about shutting the :furious: up by listening to this album. It is full of gaps, quiet places, implied notes, melodies and harmonies. Play less, and the audience will hear more (and the more they hear will come from their own imagination, so they will like it better).

Ron (I get to call him Ron - I've got drunk with him and sung "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman") writes an awful lot of his own material, but there is a great Leonard Cohen cover "A Heart With No Companion" on this album, he is a serious performer as well as a writer.

This album, in common with a lot of his work, looks back to the fifties, sixties and seventies with a fond and familiar eye, but there are dark undertones - alienation, abuse, drug references and so on - hidden just under the surface. The rose-tinted glasses are not as rosy as you'd like to think.

Standout track(s) is/are "There's A Rhythm" - there are two versions, one at the beginning, one at the end. It's like the bread in a sandwich: you'd be OK with one, but it's great with both.

Ron Sexsmith sounds like a sensitive little singer songwriter who was bullied at school, but in fact he wouldn't be out of place as a rugby or American football forward: he's about an inch shorter than me, but twice as wide. ET will be pleased to hear Ron's favourite sport is in fact ice hockey. "A man's game", he said...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby DavidH on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 am

Not the most fashionable performance, maybe no longer the best, but this is the old standard to judge the others by.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 pm

EDIT - yes, OK it's late Saturday night and I'm drunk, but this album is essential listening. Bart, I hope you do a better job of keeping it away from your daughter than my Dad did of keeping 'Derek & Clive Live' away from me. 'Fucking': such a terrible word. Whatever would the children think of us using such language in front them, the products of our...? What's the word...?
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 am

Wow!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors