The Poetry Thread: Original poetry, and poetry by others

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Poetry Thread: Original poetry, and poetry by others

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 pm

black bart wrote:
DavidH wrote:Hey, Bart, that's really good. But after 'pretty' you missed a chance for a naughtier rhyme. :fsm_rock:

I was going to go for naughty...but something came over me and I went all Keats/Betjeman.

It wont happen again!

^Et...is that poem referring to Skua Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Isles?

It may well be, Barty, I'm not sure. I just enjoyed the story it told, and looked it up because the rhyming drove me batty.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 am

I never worry about rhyming, as you will have observed.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Edd on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm

ADoS, I'm a huge poetry fan but don't get a chance to read or write much these days. E. E. Cummings is a favorite (and not just because we share the same initials). I enjoy exploring different styles and relish the feeling that accompanies the completion of a poem that meets all the criteria that I've set for myself as well as conveys my thoughts in a cohesive and clear manner.

Most of what I've written in the past was for an audience of one (me), so I never worried too much about keeping or compiling much of it. If I can shoehorn a couple of free hours into my week, I'll write something and post it here.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 am

I wonder if you get more out of poetry written about your home patch, because it's easier to relate to. A bit like people from Manchester relating to L.S. Lowry's paintings. We are lucky enough to have Dylan Thomas writing intimately about Swansea and the Gower and I can easily picture the places he writes about.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:32 pm

WARNING! SPOILERS! If you don't want to spoil the series of Blades of Exile scenarios that I am sort of making but will likely never finish due to my inability to focus on something for more than ten minutes without becoming restless or anxious, don't read the following page. But if you don't care about spoilers or don't play retro-RPGs (or even video games in general) then I encourage you to read it. It's the poetry I've written for said scenarios. The one marked with the yellow hashmarks is one of my favorites ever.

http://ados.ermarian.net/poetry/aag/
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors