What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby DavidH on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 am

Reading a history of D-Day on my new Kindle. It's an excellent bit of kit - with the print set to large I can read without eye-strain, also I've got a whole lot of stuff free which I'd never have paid for. If it's no good I can delete it. Looks like there's room for 1,500 to 2,000 books, depending on size.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Check out the Gutenberg (?) Project - a whole load of out-of-copyright free content for E-readers. Mrs. H has a load of classics on her kindle that cost her nothing. Imma get one once I've got a new job...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 am

If you like Project Gutenberg (Mrs. H is correct - tons of interesting things there) you might also like The Internet Archive and The Internet Classics Archive. Oh sure, they'll cut into your watching cats riding vacuum players time, but the Archive features links each week to some of the best -- and oddest -- vintage and cutting edge audio, video and text you can imagine.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby DavidH on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am

Thank you, folks. Yes, I use those, except I didn't know about The Internet Classics Archive. There are also several sites for downloading .epub files, which can then be converted into .mobi format using the free Calibre. I use these a lot:

http://tuebl.com/
http://www.epubbooks.com/
http://www.epubbud.com/
http://www.free-ebooks.net/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bart, ye lazy blaggard, get reading that book - she's going to e-mail you the first part of the test paper on Friday. :evilgrin:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:14 am

I love the Gutenberg Project. When I got my Sony eReader back in September, I downloaded a heap of great books from it, saving myself hundreds of pounds on the printed versions, getting such classic authors as Charles Dickens, Aristotle, Plato, Stephenie Meyer... :whistle:

By the way, check out other eReaders on the market and don't just choose the Kindle, even though it is cool. They use a dedicated format for books bought from their store (can be converted to/from .mobi, as I have done with Calibre, but it's a pain in the buttocks when you have a large number to do), and if you change reader type, prepare for DRM nightmares. And thanks for that list, David. I know I shouldn't look at them, as I have far too much already, but I shall do so anyway. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 am

black bart wrote:Just started reading a book that David H's wife lent me: "The House by the Thames (and the people who lived there)". 450 years of history from the perspective of this old house. I know the house quite well from it's facade as it's in one of my favourite spots in London, just down the river from the Globe Theatre.

I am loving this book. Forsooth methinks I will to thee Stews across thee river to visit the 'frows of Flaunders' (Flemish Women of the night). :lech: I trust I shalle not suffer the perilous infirmity of burning (I'm a gonna ere).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I finished KJV's Exodus a couple nights ago. I haven't started Leviticus yet, but I already told my gay friend he's going to burn in Hell. :moon: He thought I was talking about Sodom and Gomorrah, but that's in Genesis. Leviticus supposedly has all sorts of "fun" things. Really I'm not sure what to expect except for the bits that get bandied about by fundamentalists and atheists when they argue. I shall see, I suppose.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Again. It never gets any wronger. His arguments never get any less convincing. God bless him, and his genes, and his memes.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby DavidH on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 am

black bart wrote:
black bart wrote:Just started reading a book that David H's wife lent me: "The House by the Thames (and the people who lived there)". 450 years of history from the perspective of this old house. I know the house quite well from it's facade as it's in one of my favourite spots in London, just down the river from the Globe Theatre.

I am loving this book. Forsooth methinks I will to thee Stews across thee river to visit the 'frows of Flaunders' (Flemish Women of the night). :lech: I trust I shalle not suffer the perilous infirmity of burning (I'm a gonna ere).

I'm telling you, Bart, she's nearly finished the test paper and it's pretty hard. The consequences of failure ... well, you know Mrs H! :shocked:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Again. It never gets any wronger. His arguments never get any less convincing. FSM touch him, and his genes, and his memes.

^ This. Plus it's now fixed.

ADoS, the weird gets weirder in Leviticus. Prepare thyself.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Not as weird as this quote from Jeremiah 6:10 which I just found in Gildas:

To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken....

Next time I meet an Orthodox Jew I'm going to take a good look at his ears. :evilgrin: Or is it only one ear, and if so, which? And do girls also get this treatment? :confused:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:25 am

^ Maybe it has something to do with that 'attached' earlobes/ 'unattached' earlobes genetics thing...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 am

^
^^
This is a Jew's Ear and apparently it's good eating already:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 am

That doesn't sound kosher to me...
Sorry...
I'll get my coat...
Roy Hunter

Postby DavidH on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Just finished John Grisham, The Litigators, which I downloaded free via filestube. Very good fun for a courtroom novel.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors